Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China bans dog and cat meat

Options
  • 27-01-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/restofasia/China-bans-dog-and-cat-meat/Article1-502351.aspx
    China has decided to ban consumption of dog and cat meat in the country through a new law which seeks a fine of $730 and up to 15-day detention for offenders.
    A proposed draft of China's first law on animal welfare, being prepared by a panel of legal experts, has provision of a fine of up to 5,000 yuan ($730) and up to 15 days' detention for the guilty.
    Those found guilty of selling the meat can be fined anywhere between 10,000 yuan to 500,000 yuan, China Daily reported quoting Beijing-based Mirror Evening News.
    "There are still many difficulties to overcome before (legislators) include the article against consumption of dog and cat meat into the draft law," Chang Jiwen, head of the legal panel was quoted as saying.
    "I hope the problem can be solved as soon as possible, although it will be solved sooner or later," he said.
    Chang said the prohibition, however, would not affect the lives of common Chinese a lot as very few people eat dog or cat meat in the country.
    He said the proposed draft, which focuses on preventing animal mistreatment, protects six categories of animals -- those on farms, in laboratories, pets, working animals, animals for entertainment purposes, and wild animals.
    The proposed draft will be submitted to relevant government departments in April.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It does beg the question of why Sarah is reading the Hindustan Times !

The problem is that a lot of people in Asia still believe in the magical powers of eating animal parts. I can remember finding a big shark on the beach. It's fins had been cut off & then it was thrown back into the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

How come this hasn't made more worldwide news?? If it's true then it's fantastic news!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It has:

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=china+bans+dog+and+cat+meat&meta=&rlz=1R2ACAW_en&aq=f&oq=

However, the world isn't listening and with the sheer size of the country, I doubt it's enforceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

I don't understand why the Chinese government has made a distinction between the use of cats and dogs for meat and the use of other animals for meat. I mean, from a moral viewpoint, what's the difference between shooting a beagle in the head and doing the same thing to a cow?

I thought the Chinese were more logical than us, recognising that cats and dogs are not distinguishable from chickens and pigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Dont want to cause chaos here, but if they where bred, kept and killed in a good humane fashion i see no problem with eating dog or cat meat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I don't understand why the Chinese government has made a distinction between the use of cats and dogs for meat and the use of other animals for meat. I mean, from a moral viewpoint, what's the difference between shooting a beagle in the head and doing the same thing to a cow?

I thought the Chinese were more logical than us, recognising that cats and dogs are not distinguishable from chickens and pigs.

I am delighted they are doing this , but I honestly can't answer your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Sounds like more of a show to impress their image in the west. Doubt it will be enforced.

I see no distinction between eating a cow or a cat/dog as long as it was raised properly and dispatched humanely.

I think the Chinese government made this move to distract the world from bigger issues in their country, like executions over the milk scandal, blatant human rights violations etc.

Aside from the ethical argument of eating an animal that is, in terms of it's relationship to man, the closest of any species; it does not make sense.

We don't eat carnivores because you have to put protein in to get protein out. You can't economically breed dogs for food as you would be better off eating the protein that you have to feed to the dog in the first place. You don't feed chickens & pigs meat.

The Chinese dogs have probably been scavenging & would likely present a health risk if you ate the meat.

• Advertisement

But if its all done above board, i see no problem? You see crocodile meat in some restaurants, do you argue with that? They have probably been fed rabbits or rodents? I dont see a problem with animals being bred as food if its done humanely!! Just because they're dogs or cats shouldnt come into it.

Define what you mean by "done properly". Even the ordinary slaughterhouses here don't do it humanely, the stress level for some of these animals is immense.

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/2010/02/08/T08021037/

Slaughterhouses, done properly??

http://www.naturalnews.com/022702.html

Well speaking as a vegetarian I dont like to see any animal eaten :D However you cant really compare a crocodile to a cat or a dog :confused: Its more the point that so many millions of people around the world keep dogs and cats as pets - doubt too many keep crocs? even so you dont have the same interaction with a croc as you would a cat/dog.

However I would rather if they are going to eat dogs/cats then it should be done humanely - I think I read somewhere that the usual form of killing them is to drop them into boiling water alive :eek:

Cant believe anyone would want to eat a dog or a cat anyway :mad:

Well i keep reptiles and do know of plenty of people keeping crocs as pets, and im fairly used to the breeding of feeders be that rodents or insects, its just a fact of life. EGAR do you eat meat or are you a vegetarian?Slaughter houses do it as humanely as possible and there is vet supervising the slaughter from start to finish.

cos!! wrote: »
    Well i keep reptiles and do know of plenty of people keeping crocs as pets, and im fairly used to the breeding of feeders be that rodents or insects, its just a fact of life. EGAR do you eat meat or are you a vegetarian?Slaughter houses do it as humanely as possible and there is vet supervising the slaughter from start to finish.

You are so wrong. Slaughterhouses kill as humanely as economically possible. Imagine that your dog needs putting down. Now imagine that you dog is corralled with hundreds of dogs, loaded into a truck, driven for miles, corralled again before being forced into a building to be killed by electrocution. This would be unacceptable to a pet owner but is routine to a farmer.

There are much more humane ways of killing livestock. Compassion in World Farming have excellent proposals, not to turn us all into vegetarians but to treat animals will humanity & dignity.

Once I had to have a donkey put down due to ill health. The man who did it was a total professional. The donkey was completely relaxed. He gave it a carrot, then a second carrot & in a split second the animal was dead. It had no idea what was going to happen. Death can be humane.

Feeders.. that is a nice word to disassociate oneself ;).

As to the slaughterhouse debate, you should read Dr. Temple Grandin's work:

http://www.grandin.com/

Excellent insightful ideas.

As for whether or not I am a vegetarian - WHAT do you think :D??

Well i keep reptiles and do know of plenty of people keeping crocs as pets

Of course you do :rolleyes: The comparison is obviously lost on you!

You obviously dont keep dogs or cats - Im assuming you dont because I dont know of any sane person who does, that would support eating them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Of course you do :rolleyes: The comparison is obviously lost on you!

You obviously dont keep dogs or cats - Im assuming you dont because I dont know of any sane person who does, that would support eating them.

I keep cats and dogs and I work with a Malayasian bloke whos side of things I can understand.Hes eaten dog while at home--nothing inhumane about it.

Over there its cows that are sacred and he wont eat beef.Its the whole Western thing about us keeping dogs and cats as pets that makes people sick at the thought of eating them.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I keep cats and dogs and I work with a Malayasian bloke whos side of things I can understand.Hes eaten dog while at home--nothing inhumane about it.

Over there its cows that are sacred and he wont eat beef.Its the whole Western thing about us keeping dogs and cats as pets that makes people sick at the thought of eating them.

Does he keep a cat or dog as a pet? Would you eat a cat or a dog?

Discodog wrote: »
    You are so wrong. Slaughterhouses kill as humanely as economically possible. Imagine that your dog needs putting down. Now imagine that you dog is corralled with hundreds of dogs, loaded into a truck, driven for miles, corralled again before being forced into a building to be killed by electrocution. This would be unacceptable to a pet owner but is routine to a farmer.

There are much more humane ways of killing livestock. Compassion in World Farming have excellent proposals, not to turn us all into vegetarians but to treat animals will humanity & dignity.

Once I had to have a donkey put down due to ill health. The man who did it was a total professional. The donkey was completely relaxed. He gave it a carrot, then a second carrot & in a split second the animal was dead. It had no idea what was going to happen. Death can be humane.

Difference being these arnt pets and where bred for this purpose!If dogs where bred for it rather than being peoples pets its completley different, and i do have dogs as pets as well as birds, fish and PET rodents!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Does he keep a cat or dog as a pet?
    He doesnt keep them himself as hes living in an apartment at the minute.
    Would you eat a cat or a dog?

Yes I suppose I would if it was part of a tradition I was brought up with.

Would I eat one now if I visited the far east??

Im not sure,Maybe I`d give it a try just to sample the local cuisine.Its supposed to taste like a cross between duck and really lean beef--stir fried with loads of veg and spices.

Actually thats making me hungry--Now wheres my Labrador and the wok ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Cant believe anyone would want to eat a dog or a cat anyway :mad:
    Does he keep a cat or dog as a pet? Would you eat a cat or a dog?

What about people who keep pet fish, rabbits and birds? Would you think they were insane if they went to a restaurant and ordered salmon, rabbit or chicken?
    Because if so then you are branding a LOT of people as "Insane".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Whilst I'd personally not eat a cat or a dog myself, even if in said country - it's their culture too so whilst some people think we're horrible for eating cows, some people think others are horrible for eating dogs/cats.

I was offered turtle, lizard and deer when I was in Cambodia, I tried some of the dried deer, just to try. But I couldn't bring myself to try lizard or turtle.
    I don't like meat in general anyway but my own personal 'omg a turtle I couldn't' was what stopped me. Same way it would be with a cat or dog. Yet others wouldn't see issue with it.

Just because something is part of a country's heritage or culture does not make it acceptable. Marrying at 10 years old, child labour & no rights for women spring to mind. There are many things that were part of our culture that we now find unacceptable.

The eating habits of the far east are rapidly changing. The price of sugar has hit an all time high because of increased use in India & China. Goodness Gracious Me - a BBC comedy sketch show featuring & written by Indian actors, did a sketch of Indians going out "for an English". They mocked ordering "bland" English dishes including asking the waiter for the most bland dish on the menu. It was meant as comedy but it is now coming true.

The eating of dog was always well hidden in China. Paul Merton, during his travel series had to escape his Chinese minder, & get a local to take him to the area in Beijing where restaurants offered dog. Japan has freezers full of unwanted Whale meat that was once a delicacy - hasn't stopped them killing Whales.

Many of us already knew about the evidence that science is revealing about dogs. They have evolved a unique language that they only use with humans. Dogs have learnt to talk to us but we are not very good at listening.

People that keep dogs as pets & relate to their dog - many keep dogs but far fewer relate to them, would repel at the idea of farming them for food. But in any event they can only be a "luxury item" on the menu because of the necessity to feed them protein.

Many thousands of years ago we decided that dogs were of far more use alive than as food & that built the unique bond that we enjoy. I wonder if far eastern countries did not have the same agricultural practices, in the past, that encouraged us to bond with dogs ?.

Magenta wrote: »
    What about people who keep pet fish, rabbits and birds? Would you think they were insane if they went to a restaurant and ordered salmon, rabbit or chicken?
    Because if so then you are branding a LOT of people as "Insane".

Ya I wouldnt understand that either :confused:

Hellrazer - Ive heard its actually supposed to be vile and smells like smelly socks!

Im not undestanding this argument about having to feed dogs protein?We do anyway as pets:confused: and by the way my dog is most definatly part of my family, sleeps in my bed and is spoilt rotten!I keep mice and rats as pets too, but my snakes have to eat!I keep birds but i enjoy pigeon and quail, i keep fish but i loved a smoked cod/salmon ect

Im not undestanding this argument about having to feed dogs protein?We do anyway as pets:confused: and by the way my dog is most definatly part of my family, sleeps in my bed and is spoilt rotten!I keep mice and rats as pets too, but my snakes have to eat!I keep birds but i enjoy pigeon and quail, i keep fish but i loved a smoked cod/salmon ect

So you never answered my question - would you eat dog?

BTW Im not disputing that animals have to eat other animals ie snake having to eat mice and rats thats just life although I couldnt personally do it - I have even rescued birds and mice from the clutches of my cats :o Its just something I dont want to see on my doorstep.

Would love to get a pet pig but himself will have to give up the rashers first :D

So you never answered my question - would you eat dog?

BTW Im not disputing that animals have to eat other animals ie snake having to eat mice and rats thats just life although I couldnt personally do it - I have even rescued birds and mice from the clutches of my cats :o Its just something I dont want to see on my doorstep.

Would love to get a pet pig but himself will have to give up the rashers first :D

If over in china and it was on the menu in a decent restaraunt i might try it yeah, i wouldnt order it in just any aul' place though!

• Advertisement

The point is that we eat cows, pigs & sheep because they convert grass, that we can't eat into protein that we can eat. If we are going to feed dogs meat in order to eat them then we might as well eat the meat in the first place. The only way that it could ever be economical is if the dogs scavenge or you feed them meat unfit for human consumption - neither is likely to be good for your health.

Advertisement