Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China bans dog and cat meat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Discodog wrote: »
    The point is that we eat cows, pigs & sheep because they convert grass, that we can't eat into protein that we can eat. If we are going to feed dogs meat in order to eat them then we might as well eat the meat in the first place. The only way that it could ever be economical is if the dogs scavenge or you feed them meat unfit for human consumption - neither is likely to be good for your health.

Ye fair enough, good points i suppose!!But im not talking about bringing it in over here, just that i see no problem with being in china and trying it when over there!Back to this crocodile meat argument :pac: its becoming pretty popular in the UK, a lot of places are starting to stock and sell it and a lot of restaraunts have it on the menu, all these crocs are farmed in the UK and will obviously be consuming protein!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Eating dogs was banned??
    Haha not likely.

I read a bbc report during the olympics that said:

"China has ordered dog meat to be taken off the menu at its 112 official Olympic restaurants in order to avoid offending foreign visitors."

Which is interesting as it has never been widely available here in Beijing in the first place, and certainly not in "official" restaurants that cater to foreigners.
    Dog-meat doesn't really appeal to most Chinese people.

It's eaten in some of the south and south-western provinces, and maybe on the border near Korea. Especially within some ethnic-minority communities as part of a long tradition that is not likely to be given up any time soon.
    Eating dog meat during winter-solstice is traditionally believed to keep you warm for the winter.

The article linked in the op claims dog meat was banned according to chinadaily(no link?) but actually searching Chinadaily reveals it is merely a proposal. Though Chinadaily is hardly the most trustworthy news source so who knows.

China doesn't need to ban dogmeat....they need to regulate it to ensure there is humane treatment of the animals, things will only get worse for dogs if it is made illegal, and believe me- if you knew how dogs are treated here you wouldn't think that was possible.

Also, .....cats?

haha wtf?
    Oh no!....there's rampant cat eating going on all over the country!,, ban ban ban!

Aside from Guangzhou....there are maybe a few tiny villages in the south and in some lawless border towns on the China-Laos border where they eat cats.

There are bigger problems.

Advertisement