Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise cancelling headphones

Options
  • 27-01-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

Has anyone tried noise cancelling headphones, and if so, do they work in cancelling out background noise? I live in a room in a house, and my neighbour has the television on a lot of the time, and I can hear it very clearly.

As a result, it is difficult for me to concentrate.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

The headsets don't cancel 100% of noise.. they will give you a major reduction in background noise.. So a lot will depend on the volume of the TV.

It's worth noting a lot of the headsets also put slight pressure on the inner ear which some people find irritating, especially when there is no other sound input (i.e. music) to compensate..

So I'm not sure it's the answer you require..

I would suggest

a) having a word with your neighbours, and asking if the volume can be turned down
    b) if its overly loud, then get the council involved.. there are laws in place
    c) if its not that bad, and its just the thinness of the walls, then maybe some mellow background music on your side will cancel the bulk of the noise and allow you to concentrate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

I have used these for a short time. They work quite well in planes with the humming noise, not that well for people talking,.....
    What I found out now, is that regular in-ear headphones dampen the background noise even better.

My advice... either talk to the neighbour, or get earplugs (council will probably only get involved if the noise is during 11pm and 6am)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have noise cancelling headphones and they're brilliant. But, they won't do what you want.

Basically, the headphones cancel out background noise - static noise - the constant hum of aircraft engines, etc. They won't cancel out changing noise, such as a TV or music.

So, they're not what you need.

Advertisement