Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Network Broadband Not working on Xbuntu 8.10 ?

• 27-01-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Hi hello I got a friends laptop and installed xbuntu 8.10 on it.

Worked fine with my 02 broadbroad HuaweiE220 wireless modem.

But wont work at all for my mates updated 3 Network Huawei E1550 Modem.

How do I fix this problem.

Any help would be great lads thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

We're at Ubuntu 9.10 now, that's the latest release, which has a whole lot more support for 3G than 8.10. Load up a Live CD of 9.10 and test it for compatibility. If it works, upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Connect it to a network cable to find and download the drivers from the net maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

well the laptop was a compaq armada.

could not find drivers anywhere online boy did I look. turns out the particalur modem is really have to get working with linux.
    BopNiblets wrote: »
    Connect it to a network cable to find and download the drivers from the net maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Linux drivers are in the kernel mostly.
    Upgrade to a recent ubuntu release.
    Otherwise it would be like looking for windows drivers for that modem, but ignoring any drivers
    more recent than October 2008 (8.10) - and when did that modem get released?

The E220 is an old 3G modem, and has been supported for ages, but take loldogs advice,
    and try out a 9.10 livecd. It'll be a much better starting point, and may even just work.
    ubuntu just needs to recognise its USB ID numbers, so that it can switch it over to modem mode.
    Otherwise, it'll just see it as a readonly USB drive or CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cr0bar

I had some issues getting my Huawei E1750 modem working in Ubuntu but this script did it perfectly. Perhaps it can be used as-is for the OP's modem.

Same script worked for me when I was using Sabayon too.

The thing about these modern 3G USB modems is that they have a virtual CD-ROM drive. It's better to unmount this virtual drive first before doing anything else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement