Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation Supervisor

Options
  • 27-01-2010 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had any problems with their Dissertation Supervisors? My one is incompetent and I've only got 2 chapters done so far, should I make a complaint or just go to a competent lecturer for any help needed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nead88

i reckon just ask another lecturer for help because you dont want to get on the bad side of your supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I had a similar problem last year when i was doing my dissertation, my supervisor had no idea what he was talking about. I mentioned it to the HOD when i had a meeting with her and she didnt take it too well. She asked had I spoken to him about what I wanted from him, and I said not really, but I just assumed he knew what he was meant to do.

So there wasn't much I could do. He was sh*t, I just had to sort out things myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭HHH

I've the same problem.
    My supervisor hasn't a clue what my topic is about and doesn't want to know. But he/she is still giving half the marks for it!
    I wonder is it too late to start a new topic on a subject he/she understands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

It is not the supervisor's responsibility to be an expert in your chosen topic. He or she will supervise your work throughout the year to ensure that you are moving forward and meeting deadlines. If the supervisor did not keep an eye on progress, some student's may allow themselves to let all the work until the latter part of the year. This may lead to a very difficult situation for the student (possibly insurmountable).

It is YOUR job to become knowledgeable in your chosen topic. Your dissertation guidelines states this very clearly. The dissertation is normally an exercise that is done in year 4 of a degree. By this year, a student is expected to be able to take a topic/subject and self-teach him/herself to a high level of expertise. That is one of the things that you are being examined on - i.e. how well you self-taught yourself in your particular choice of topic.

Future employers will look at your result in the dissertation as a good indicator of your ability to self-learn when presented with a new topic/subject.

So, in a nutshell, your supervisor is just that - one who supervises. He/she is not expected to teach you about your chosen topic. That is your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I was lucky enough to have a great supervisor (Susan in Clare Street campus), very understanding and helpful throughout the whole thing. I ended up getting a grade of 69 for my first semester and the final thesis should be along those lines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement