Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spelling "Brian"

• 27-01-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the following spellings for the name "Brian" as a christian name are acceptable/correct -

Briain
    Brían
    Bríon

I was going to go with Briain but an Irish speaking relative said is was incorrect as it implies the tuiseal ginideach......

I know Brian is pronounced "BREE-IN" but I don't want the child to have to clarify the pronunciation for the rest of his life which is why I would like a spelling that reflects the way it is said.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I take it you want the "BREE-IN" pronunciation but not with the regular spelling which is Brian. The only solution I can think of is to go the Enya route. The singer's original name is Eithne, which is pronounced like "Enya" in Donegal, but her problem was when she left the county, it would be pronounced very differently so she started to spell it phonetically. Your fear is of the name being called "Bryan", it happened with "Niall" as well. The problem with these phonetics is that they include the letter y which is not in the traditional alphabet in Irish, although they are included in modern dictionaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Braoin, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Braoin, maybe?

No. Braon means drop, as in a drop of water or alcohol or blood.

Why change a name that has stood the test of time? Brian is the only correct spelling, Bhriain is the ginideach and brían is incorrect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I met someone called Brian Ó Murchú and another called Brian Murphy, I would presume one was pronounced one way, one the other.

If I was American I would call them both 'that Canadian guy with the funny name'.

spurious wrote: »
    If I met someone called Brian Ó Murchú and another called Brian Murphy, I would presume one was pronounced one way, one the other.

If I was American I would call them both 'that Canadian guy with the funny name'.

It works in the sample you give, Spurious, but without the surname, it does'nt automatically. Same with Niall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭WomanInWhite

Thanks for your replies.

Any other thoughts on "Briain"?

The extra "i" is only in there in the surname because of the O', am I right?

I do realise that "Brian" is right, but I feel a lifetime of correcting pronunciation might become quite annoying. I have a friend called Niall, its almost exclusively said wrong.

Yes, it's the Ó....I dont think you'd have as much trouble explaining Brian as people have with Cathal or Tadhg or Seán (or should I say Shaun/Shawn). There's no easy way out of it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭WomanInWhite

Ok, I'm now convinced. Brian it is!

It'll be a girl now after all this!

Thanks for your comments and help.

Advertisement