Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB & Bord Gas Bills

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Yeah I have no probelm paying DD, I dont see the reason for deposit if you choose this option, naturally by not paying by DD, you can just leg it and not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Yeah I have no probelm paying DD, I dont see the reason for deposit if you choose this option, naturally by not paying by DD, you can just leg it and not pay.

Agreeing to pay by DD is no guarantee of payment - you may have no funds in your account when the direct debit hits it.

There is a risk therefore in the ESB approach in waiving the deposit when the customer agrees to DD. However, it is far more customer friendly to adopt that approach than demanding both a deposit and DD.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

hi just got my gas bill july-sept 2010.estimated 16e.checked reading i should be billed for 40e. advice to all check all e readings now before the winter sets in.

I had this, I signed up with direct debt allowed one payment to go through and then cancelled. Never had a bother since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 anitek85

With Bordgais even if u setup direct debit instead of 400e deposit u hav to pay 200e...
    I was calling them about it 100times and i heard one answer : you hav to pay or we gonna disconnected gas supply...
    No comments!!!
    Daylight robbery!!! they still keeping my 200e and using them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

anitek85 wrote: »
    With Bordgais even if u setup direct debit instead of 400e deposit u hav to pay 200e...
    I was calling them about it 100times and i heard one answer : you hav to pay or we gonna disconnected gas supply...
    No comments!!!

You get it back after 7 payments or when you cancle service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

No comments!!!

Maybe it's just me, but i am confused by your post. How can Bord Gais disconnect you if you havent signed up to them?

bungler wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but i am confused by your post. How can Bord Gais disconnect you if you havent signed up to them?
    I hav my account for years from previous house (never paid deposit cuz i had direct debit) and then suddenly they ask me to pay deposit when i was moving into new house.

Darksaga87 i didnt get this back after 7payments.
    What i meant that they are still keeping 200e for what if i setup direct debit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I hav my account for years from previous house (never paid deposit cuz i had direct debit) and then suddenly they ask me to pay deposit when i was moving into new house.

Darksaga87 i didnt get this back after 7payments.
    What i meant that they are still keeping 200e for what if i setup direct debit?
    Can you please explain this better as what you have posted makes no sense.

If it is an indemnity depostit then it is refunded after 14 months - no quibble.

If it's a connection fees then of course no refund. A fee is a fee. Can you please clarify.

So... I hav account with bordgais since 2006. I was moving a few times and always rang the bordgais with new address,gprn etc. i hav direct debit so never paid deposit. In may 2009 i was moving into new house and as usually I rang bordgais to inform them about chaning address,gave them gprn from previous house and the new house etc. and few days after this call i got letter with final bill from previous house and note that i hav to pay deposit of 200e. So I rang them once again to ask why i hav to pay deposit if i hav direct debit so i've been told "that the policy" so i said in that case i will cancel my direct debit and Lady from cutomer service said if i will cancel direct debit then i will hav to pay 400e of deposit... so i just ask whats the point to setup direct debit if I still hav to pay 200e deposit (i will get this back when i will closing my account which is not gonna happen cuz im living here)so i heard once again "thats teh policy"
    and im pissed off cuz they are keeping my 200e...

• Advertisement

So... I hav account with bordgais since 2006. I was moving a few times and always rang the bordgais with new address,gprn etc. i hav direct debit so never paid deposit. In may 2009 i was moving into new house and as usually I rang bordgais to inform them about chaning address,gave them gprn from previous house and the new house etc. and few days after this call i got letter with final bill from previous house and note that i hav to pay deposit of 200e. So I rang them once again to ask why i hav to pay deposit if i hav direct debit so i've been told "that the policy" so i said in that case i will cancel my direct debit and Lady from cutomer service said if i will cancel direct debit then i will hav to pay 400e of deposit... so i just ask whats the point to setup direct debit if I still hav to pay 200e deposit (i will get this back when i will closing my account which is not gonna happen cuz im living here)so i heard once again "thats teh policy"
    and im pissed off cuz they are keeping my 200e...

Are you renting or do you own the place?

Renting

Renting

Aah! If you are renting you will be expected to pay a deposit. You say
    whats the point to setup direct debit if I still hav to pay 200e deposit
    Well, if you don't sign direct debit you will pay €400 and only €200 with direct debit. Simple really.

If renting in the past you probably should have paid deposits then as well.

But never paid before and was ok... thats why i was surprise thats all...

The reason you are now paying a deposit is because there is ESB,Bord Gás and Airtricity offering domestic electricity and because you receive electricity for 8 weeks and then it is a further 2 weeks before they bill you. This allows 10 weeks of electricity before they ask to be paid.

The rented market is high risk because you can debt hop from one supplier to another and leave your current supplier with no money.

To be honest i think it is fair and dont see a problem with it. They are just protecting their money like any other business in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

My understanding and I have dealt with all the suppliers with Esb supply very recently is as follows. With Esb if you had an account in your name i.e Joe Bloggs and it was paid to terms and you then want to set up another account also in the name of Joe Bloggs NO deposit, they do actively encourage you to go on dd.
    Bord Gais did try to get €200 as a dep off my sister even though she had had an excellent account with them I think she told them where to go, must ask her did she stay or move to Esb or Airtricity

Bungler Im talking about gas not electricity.with ESB i hav direct debit and im not paying any deposit....

Bungler Im talking about gas not electricity.with ESB i hav direct debit and im not paying any deposit....

Apart from one being electricity and one being gas there still alike and they both bill every 8 weeks

Same argument applies be it Gas or Electricity.

Advertisement