Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading....would welcome advice

Options
  • 27-01-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I need to upgrade my setup, however, problem is I’m a total knuckle head when it comes to tech, so, hopefully, I can draw on the tech knowledge that you guys have in buckets.

Cos of the above and because the desktop will service multiple needs (including gaming), I really need to steer away from the more efficient route of self build, and instead, look to a 'one stop shop' which will build and provide service support etc.

I will be running 4 monitors off it (all 20 inchers). Can you give me some feedback if below spec will do the business (especially is graphics choice ok ?), or am I over killing anywhere.

PROCESSOR
    One Intel® Xeon® Processor X5550(2.66GHz,8MB L3,6.4GT/s,95W,QC)Memory runs at 1333MHz
    OPERATING SYSTEM
    English Genuine Windows® 7 Professional (64Bit OS) Recovery DVD included
    HARD DRIVE
    1TB (7200 RPM) SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with NCQ and 16MB DataBurst Cache™
    MEMORY
    6GB DDR3 1333MHz ECC-RDIMM (3x2GB) Requires 64 Bit OS
    GRAPHICS CARD
    Two 512MB Ati FirePro V5700 - 2DP, 1DVI (1DP-DVI,1DVI-VGA adapter)(MRGA16LB) Graphics Cards

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What will you be doing on those monitors? 3D stuff or just general browsing, office etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 frankyman

Well thinking is at least 2 (maybe 3) monitors will be 3D, with the other one (or 2) for general browsing and word/excel stuff.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You would probably be cheaper going for an Eyefinity set up.

Are you ordering from Dell? From the wording of the specs above, it sounds like you are.

If you are, the above build will cost you an arm and a leg.

Yep, from Dell, and yep again.....an arm and a leg.

Really find the cost to be very high versus what I read on this forum. Thats why I need advice on is spec too much for my needs, and what other choices do I have (if any) if I want the backup support plus dont have the tech knowledge or confidence to self build.....:confused:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

So is it a server you want because that spec you have posted looks like a server? If its a stand alone PC you would be much better off with a different setup altogether. Whats your budget?

• Advertisement

So is it a server you want because that spec you have posted looks like a server? If its a stand alone PC you would be much better off with a different setup altogether. Whats your budget?

Its a stand alone. My contraint is to make sure I have a setup which will do the job and see me comfortably for the next 4/5 years...then after that the cost kicks in. I know cos Im not keen to go down self build route that Im looking at a heavier hit with price, but, still hoping not to have to exceed €2.5k range.

Also, don't need to purchase monitors.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If you have the monitors already and are willing to spend 2.5k you could get a ridiculously powerful system. There is a point though where it doesnt matter how much more money you spend you won't see any major increase in performance. So you could have an amazing PC for say 1500 and spending another 1000 on better components might only give you a 5% all round performance increase.

If your really not into building your own, which isnt all that hard and could save you a serious amount of money then maybe look at the Dell XPS systems or Alienware (Cases are a bit tacky imo).

If you have the monitors already and are willing to spend 2.5k you could get a ridiculously powerful system. There is a point though where it doesnt matter how much more money you spend you won't see any major increase in performance. So you could have an amazing PC for say 1500 and spending another 1000 on better components might only give you a 5% all round performance increase.

If your really not into building your own, which isnt all that hard and could save you a serious amount of money then maybe look at the Dell XPS systems or Alienware (Cases are a bit tacky imo).

Good point. The possible saving of a serious amount of money is attractive. Thanks, maybe I will instead have a closer look at this option. Must be plenty on the net explaining it all........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You could also just ask one of us here to assemble the system for you, would be a huge saving and you could really pick out the exact hardware you would need/want

Advertisement