Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable LTO 2 tapes?

• 27-01-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭

Continuing the backup theme,

I've picked up a number of new LTO 2 tapes (Brands HP and TDK) and I'm having a high failure rate with them.
    Older tapes seem to pass read/write/verify and device health tests without issues. The newer tapes give write errors.

I've cleaned the drive heads with the cleaning tape. The hardware's only 2 1/2 years old and in a reasonably clean environment, well within the environmental limits of the tape (humidity/temp).

So can anyone recommend a make of LTO 2 tape or supplier that they find doesn't cause issues.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

What hardware are you using?

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 aamurray

I have moved off tapes and onto removable HDs for the last 2 years now and have managed to recover from 2 major server failures and numerous user deleted files issues without any problems. Removable disks have the capacity and robustness today that was the realm of tapes some time ago also the speed at which you can recover a file/directory way exceeds the process of recovery from a tape. Think of the process not as Backup/Restore but as a Restore from Backup and disk can handle this a lot better. So if you can afford it then it is worth the investment IMO.

Sorry if this seems a rant but recovering data from tapes broke my heart on a number of occasions.
    Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Tape drive is a Dell powervault 110T LTO-2, Scsi interface.
    Which is a rebranded Certance / Quantum Ultrium 2.

I downloaded the xTalk tool from Quantum to carry out diagnostics as Dell don't provide an equivalent. Firmware hasn't been changed since purchase.

As another possibility, I though that perhaps the cleaning tape had failed due (as an uninformed guess) cleaning material drying out, it has about 8 uses, including yesterday.

Other than that it's a matter of trying the tapes on another device owned by a friendly company. I'm reluctant to do so in case there is a contaminant on the tapes.

aamurray wrote: »
    I have moved off tapes and onto removable HDs for the last 2 years now and have managed to recover from 2 major server failures and numerous user deleted files issues without any problems.
    Sorry if this seems a rant but recovering data from tapes broke my heart on a number of occasions.
    Al.

Thanks, but the cost of removable hdd ( Or do you use a diy solution. Not an option I think as they need to be brought offsite daily, and I'm not there most days.) for a monday-thurs, fri wk1 - fri wk 5, Jan - Dec backup routine is prohibitive due to the very high cost of media.
    Having said that, I've looked at them. The Quantum GoVaults look the most reasonable in price vs the RDX and Iomegas. Any contrary opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

We use LTO 3 tapes, and just buy the tapes directly from Dell. We havent had any problems with them yet.. Have you tried the Dell Tapes? (Im sure they are repackaged)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ressem wrote: »
    Continuing the backup theme,

I've picked up a number of new LTO 2 tapes (Brands HP and TDK) and I'm having a high failure rate with them.
    Older tapes seem to pass read/write/verify and device health tests without issues. The newer tapes give write errors.

I've cleaned the drive heads with the cleaning tape. The hardware's only 2 1/2 years old and in a reasonably clean environment, well within the environmental limits of the tape (humidity/temp).

So can anyone recommend a make of LTO 2 tape or supplier that they find doesn't cause issues.

Thanks in advance,

Maybe the engine in your tape drive is on its way out. The newer tapes may not have the stretch of the older tapes and need more oomph to set spinning. Also it could be a bad batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It's not the tapes it's the feckingPowerVault.....

I had the T132 version and have gone though 12 drives and 2 chassis {Dell swapped EVERYTHING, down to the racking and serial cable.

Dell have openly admitted that the PV series are crap and prone to issues....
    ressem wrote: »
    Tape drive is a Dell powervault 110T LTO-2, Scsi interface.
    Which is a rebranded Certance / Quantum Ultrium 2.

I downloaded the xTalk tool from Quantum to carry out diagnostics as Dell don't provide an equivalent. Firmware hasn't been changed since purchase.

As another possibility, I though that perhaps the cleaning tape had failed due (as an uninformed guess) cleaning material drying out, it has about 8 uses, including yesterday.

Other than that it's a matter of trying the tapes on another device owned by a friendly company. I'm reluctant to do so in case there is a contaminant on the tapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

hi few things to check

what backup software are you using , if it's Symantec or Commvault make sure RSM is disabled in windows

what controller card are you using ? if it's a 39160 make sure the latest firmware is on and the driver reads as - "adaptec scsi card 39160 - ultra 160 scsi" and not the "adaptec scsi card 39160/39160d - ultra 160 scsi"

make sure to update the firmware to the latest on the drive , a lot of fixes are not published and it's one of the first things dell will ask you to do if there is something wrong with it, it also re-aligns the heads

also what is your cleaning cycle like , make sure not to have auto clean enabled, as over clean can damage the heads

another option is to drop the scsi transfer rate in the bios

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

aamurray wrote: »
    Al.
    unless you have a second TBU it could be extremely difficult to recover if you have a problem with TBU and servers

if you have only one TBU then you have one point of failure :(

HDD's cost more than Tapes, but you don't have to pay for TBU's so the cost difference isn't as much as you might think

Also try and find a working TBU to restore data off a 15 year old tape

*hates tape*

/RANT

Thanks all,
    followed the suggestions provided, but it does seem to be a fault with the Powervault itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

It's not the tapes it's the feckingPowerVault.....

I had the T132 version and have gone though 12 drives and 2 chassis {Dell swapped EVERYTHING, down to the racking and serial cable.

Dell have openly admitted that the PV series are crap and prone to issues....
    Same as that. Have a 110T LTO3. Have Dell made this admission online?

Advertisement