Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

band practice amp?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

right so i'm just waiting for my mate to give me the cash and then i'll report back :D
    might even post some pics :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Amps usually sound **** through headphones anyway, I'd recommend picking up a pocket pod or some other kind of multi effects, you can use that in front of your amp's clean channel then for more toans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That's the lad!
    Only thing about the amp, the plugs that were originally put on them are pretty ****e.
    As small as it is, changing the plug is a job that's worth doing. It'll save you the hassle down the road.

If you don't know how to do it, get your parents to do it, no point blowing yourself up.:rolleyes:

ah that's aloada s**t. he's gone with another fella's offer. looks like it's between the marshall and erm yeah the crate :(
    might go with the crate as the marshall got terrible reviews..
    opinions?

In another 3 days at most there'll be another amp you'll be just as interested in. It's better to wait a couple of weeks to get something than jam with something you're less than happy with. I'm holding off on my decision to make sure I get something I like too.

I've actually decided I'll probably get a Peavey Bandit too.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=169374&cat=all

There's one here you can pick up for €150, that's a steal and you can probably whittle it down to €130. It's one of the newer models which is even better. I think that might be the best version.

The only thing is it might be a bit heavy, but it shouldn't be that big a deal if you've no other gear.

Actually I don't think it's been asked, but what kind of music do you play? That matters hugely. Amps differ greatly in sound, they're not just for decoration and minor audiophile differences. Of course you can always use pedals with a good clean channel, but amps will usually do distortion better than most pedals.

erm alot to be honest. indie like blur, artic monkeys etc.
    then i play a lot of punk like blink 182 and greenday. i also play the odd bit of metal and classic rock.

would a pocket pod work with a 1x12 cab? that'd be great if i worked :cool:

• Advertisement

stetyrrell wrote: »
    would a pocket pod work with a 1x12 cab? that'd be great if i worked :cool:

No. Think about it, how could something powered by batteries meant to drive tiny little headphones drive a big 12 inch speaker?

Do you have a 1x12 cab lying around? Unfortunately at your price range you're almost exclusively looking at cheap SS combos.

got the peavey bandit. F***ing huge. Sounds class even turned right down. Should have fun lugging it down to our drummers house :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i've heard some really bad things about the marshalls fans etc.

not a matter of if it breaks, but when:D I had an MG50 a few years ago, my first amp! payed 300 new for it. Crap amp for 300, but ok for 115
    Sandvich wrote: »
    The MG 50 Watt will probably cut it. It just won't be a great amp. The Valvetronix will be quite a bit better, but it might not be as loud.

the mg50 is plenty loud enough play with a drummer. I now play a valvetronix 100 watt, much better amp, but i now want an all valve!

got the peavey bandit. F***ing huge. Sounds class even turned right down. Should have fun lugging it down to our drummers house :cool:

That's great news. I hope you can appreciate how the Bandit sounds over your average SS amp - the Bandit sounds very close to a real tube amp and some of the settings respond a lot like it too. This is an amp that will last you ages and will probably still be a workhorse for you even after you end up investing in pricier tube amps or modellers.

Which version did you get? They're all pretty good, though the newer models are supposed to be a bit better.

it sounds amazing clean. was in musicmaker earlier playing a couple of the marshall mg's, felt bad even putting those pieces of s**t in the same class as the peavey. it's the bandit 75, and most people say the newer ones sound tinny.

it sounds amazing clean. was in musicmaker earlier playing a couple of the marshall mg's, felt bad even putting those pieces of s**t in the same class as the peavey. it's the bandit 75, and most people say the newer ones sound tinny.

I dunno, they sound fine to me. They're all good though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement