Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Given

• 27-01-2010 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Stuck to his line for the winner, as per usual. The reason why he never has been and never will be a world class keeper. You can stand there saving shots all day, which he's very good at, but when it comes to the stuff that makes you stand out as a keeper he doesn't cut it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Why does this deserve it's own thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Lock her up boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd love to see Shay with a solid defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

was never his to come for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'd love to see Shay with a solid defence.

What about when he plays for Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

didn't notice it for the winner, but he was so slow of his line for the first.should've been off his line and claimed it. it defies belief to me that people can't see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

podge018 wrote: »
    Stuck to his line for the winner, as per usual. The reason why he never has been and never will be a world class keeper. You can stand there saving shots all day, which he's very good at, but when it comes to the stuff that makes you stand out as a keeper he doesn't cut it.

What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Lock this bloody thing... There is already a thread on Given and we do not need another one, particularly one that is disrespecting him:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Bit of a coincidence he's always behind shaky defences dont ya think? Maybe he just doesn't inspire confidence.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Bit of a coincidence he's always behind shaky defences dont ya think? Maybe he just doesn't inspire confidence.......

thats why he was picked as captain i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Cross was unsaveable. Nothing he could do.:D

:mad::mad:

Ah now, here.....:mad::mad:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mr Alan wrote: »
    didn't notice it for the winner, but he was so slow of his line for the first.should've been off his line and claimed it. it defies belief to me that people can't see this.
    This I did notice, thought the could have got to it before Giggs, he definitely hesitated

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

IBTL, he's a class keeper with a dodgy enough defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

:eek:Wow is all I can say to this thread :eek:

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What about when he plays for Ireland :D

I meant purely in club football :D

Great player who plays for a not so great team.

The story of his career.

If he didn't inspire confidence he wouldn't be clapping his defenders on the back for clearing the ball well or making fantastic saves for his team.

Shay has had sh*t defenders in front of him for his entire career which unfortunately takes away from his goalkeeping talents sometimes.

he's a class shot stopper. Which there'll be lots of if you stand there waiting on them.

fkt wrote: »
    Overrated pack of ****e. If he wasn't Irish none of you would rate him.

LOL. Petr Cech isn't Irish and I rate him. What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

If he didn't have weaker parts of his game he'd be the best keeper to have EVER existed. He does, he's not and you're trolling.

That_Guy wrote: »
    If he didn't inspire confidence he wouldn't be clapping his defenders on the back for clearing the ball well or making fantastic saves for his team.

Shay has had sh*t defenders in front of him for his entire career which unfortunately takes away from his goalkeeping talents sometimes.

Tomas Sorenson has no problem playing behind **** defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He does coz he's prone to huge cock-ups.

But this thread isn't about him.

Oh well, Jaysus, In fairness... I'll give you that much... I mean he has won so, so many medals and so, so many titles and cups with... Erm...

Sunderland, Villa and Stoke???

:confused:

He's also a top class keeper. Especially at saving penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

fkt must not have been watching when Shay Given pulled of one of the best saves ive ever seen from Fletcher in the 91st min. Or last week when he nullified us.

the point is he's a better keeper, playing behind worse defenders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

No one mentioned the world class save from fletcher that he made to keep city in it,, only so much a man can do,,rooney had all the time in the world,
    city defence is there weak point,

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    fkt must not have been watching when Shay Given pulled of one of the best saves ive ever seen from Fletcher in the 91st min. Or last week when he nullified us.

Or this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A cross being whipped in like that is impossible to judge, you get made look like a fool if you go for it,

Ignore the save he made seconds earlier why don't you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I'm just sorry that it is another shot at winning a trophy gone for Shay now.

Eh... FA Cup?

So true....

When you look at some of the mediocre/crap 'keepers throughout the world who have won far more medals and so on, it really does make me think that he should have gone to the likes of Arsenal or someone years ago.

Arsenal were never in for him. None of the top clubs ever have been. There is a reason for that, believe it or not.

• Advertisement

His honours:

Sunderland Newcastle United

DazMarz wrote: »
    So true....

When you look at some of the mediocre/crap 'keepers throughout the world who have won far more medals and so on, it really does make me think that he should have gone to the likes of Arsenal or someone years ago.

Well we reached two FA Cup finals in a row so he came quite close but I'd love him to win something.

He truly deserves it.

Arsenal were never in for him. None of the top clubs ever have been. There is a reason for that, believe it or not.

They want to leak lots of goals? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Given's biggest problem is his nationality. If he wasn't Irish this thread would not be posted.

Some can't believe we have a world class goalkeeper. Well we have.

Im not forgetting about his save a minute before, I've said he's a great shot stopper, one of the best around. Let's say he's a 9/10 on that, his command of his area is 3/10, distribution is 5/10................... all this drags him down to a 7/10 keeper.

• Advertisement

Given's biggest problem is his nationality. If he wasn't Irish this thread would not be posted.

Some can't believe we have a world class goalkeeper. Well we have.

Do you know what world class means? It means he'd get in a team or squad of world players. You tell me he's top 3 in the world? You need your head sorted if you think he's world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Im not forgetting about his save a minute before, I've said he's a great shot stopper, one of the best around. Let's say he's a 9/10 on that, his command of his area is 3/10, distribution is 5/10................... all this drags him down to a 7/10 keeper.

On that scale what's Casillas, 4/10?

They were in for Almunia. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Do you know what world class means? It means he'd get in a team or squad of world players.

So John O'Shea is world class? Nani? Bendtner? Lucas? Do you know what world class means?
    podge018 wrote:
    You tell me he's top 3 in the world? You need your head sorted if you think he's world class.

No I don't. He's been voted into the PFA Team of the Year on two occasions by his peers and is highly respected by some of the top managers in world football.

But hey they're all wrong and you're right.

So John O'Shea is world class?.

Of course he is :)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Of course he is :)

England ain't the world.

So John O'Shea is world class? Nani? Bendtner? Lucas? Do you know what world class means?

Eh no. If you were picking a World XI, or a squad at a push, the players who get in are world class, i.e. best in the world in that position.

That_Guy wrote: »
    England ain't the world.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

not his fault for the last, if anyone thinks so they haven't a clue

the first was his fault though, should have been out quicker

agree with Event

• Advertisement
Advertisement