Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrival Acc Advice for Melbourne

Options
  • 27-01-2010 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey dudes,
    just looking for some quick advice or pointers on decent and cheap enough hostel or any kind of accomodation
    need to stay a few days initaially when we land in oz before gettin ourselves sorted out and stuff
    Been lookin around the net and so far all private double rooms in hostel are working out more expensive than we expected....

Like i said any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

http://www.booking.com

Maybe worth having a look at. What sort of price range are you looking at for a double room?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Where are u landing? Syndey? Melbourne? Perth? Brisbane? Other?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Where are u landing? Syndey? Melbourne? Perth? Brisbane? Other?

*cough* thread title *cough* ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nevaeh84

Didn't really have a specific price range - however we've been quoted 99 dollars a night for the room in most places...
    Seems a bit steep to me?
    Anyone know anywhere with keen weekly rates?

nevaeh84 wrote: »
    Didn't really have a specific price range - however we've been quoted 99 dollars a night for the room in most places...

Only fair to warn you, that's not a million miles away from the rate you'll be paying for a private double room, especially if you're arriving on/over the weekend.

• Advertisement

99 a night?? jesus!

would you be interested in a studio apartment? look up Jackson apartments. They'll get ya a place for $350 a week, with a 1 week minimum stay!

If you look on Gumtree you might find some places but be careful of the scams. If theres no phone number on the ad, chances are its a scam. but if you find a place on that cheaper than 350 a week for your own place, then you'll most likely need to put up a bond of 1 month in advance.

so if ur only lookin for a few days, try jacksons. or else "Base backapckers" is probably the nicest backpacker hostel in Melbourne. prices vary depending on how many people you share with. i think a private room might even be slightly less than the $100 you were quoted elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

$99 a night is quite a considerable wedge. You should do better for that.I was in Sydney over the holiday weekend and paid $125 per night for a 4 star studio in Darling Harbour and that's for a short stay.

Personally, I can recommend Victoria Hall for budget accomodation, although the rooms are very very poky. Check out wotif.com and lastminute.com.au for cheap rates. They seem a bit high at the moment, might be the tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

This is a hostel i stayed in while down in Melbourne for ten days around the cup. http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?hostelid=99

Its a YHA in North Melbourne a short tram ride away from the city and close enogh to the Quiet Man pub a great watering hole!! Also an awful lot cheaper than city centre hostels but the tram system is so good you can be in the city within 10 mins!!

It only does Double and Twin rooms, twins sometimes can be cheaper but you an always move the beds together!!!

Very clean hostel and the only one i have came across that has a freezer and an oven!! No more pasta........ also does a great pancake breakfast for $2!!

Hope this helps enjoy

OP, what dates are you arriving/leaving on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nevaeh84

Thanks guys that info is really helpful great to get some different opinions
    not arriving untill the middle of march but heading off travelling next week and want to have this craic sorted b4 i go...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

claremont hostel in south yarra is handy..v near the train station.....freeman lodge near bridge rd..lovely place and bob the owner is a very nice guy..should be able to get private double for around $35 each if nothing major on. Also check hostelworld.com..has very good and accurate reviews on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

hey if you havent got sorted out already check out the pint on punt in st kilda, bout 66 bucks a night wit free breakfast for a double, might go down in price now with the tennis bein over but its decent enough, and handy for the trams, 5 minutes to the beach and they do good food in the pub downstairs. Could be worth a "punt" whey hey!! sorry

What? pint on punt is $60 odd a night??? I was considering stayin there before i moved into this place but not a 66 a night!! i'd pay half that no bother, but not 66!

or is it $66 for the 2 of them? coz thats ok!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

Sorry yea, twas 66 bucks for the 2 of us in a double, thought i said that no? anyways yea works out about 33/night for a double not bad capared to the rest of the prices

Advertisement