Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol stations - No air for tyres

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

can we call them garages anymore? or just petrol shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

bongi69 wrote: »
    Right, I grew up in South Africa and have been home recently, and this is how petrol stations work there:

They are similar to here, as in convinience store, toilets etc. In fact, same brands too, Caltex (AKA Texaco), Shell (before Topaz took over here), and are somewhat larger.

All petrol stations employ attendants (in the company uniform), to prevent drive offs, misuse, and provide employment in the local area, in a country with large unemployment levels.

All petrol bays have air hoses, and the attendant will pump the tyres as part of the entire process, if asked. Generally you do give a small tip, the equivalent of 50c, but this is your choice, as they are paid by the garage. He'll also check your oil, and will be able to top it up if necessary (you pay for the oil, or course). You don't have to leave the car, even to pay, as the attendant will take the cash for you, or process a credit card payment

I do appreciate that having pump attendants wont work here, as discussed in a thread about drive offs, as the minimum wage and costs of living are lower in SA, i'm just pointing it out as a comparison.

I do however like the idea that Topaz have put in place, i.e. trolley style deposit slots, and have found the air supply in my local Topaz to be at least working now

One small detail that you are leaving out is that the law in South Africa means that it is illegal for you to fill your own car with fuel.

It is a job creation law, which means that petrol stations are required by law to have trained forcourt attendants.

So, and nice as it sounds, I still prefer to put my own petrol in, check my own oil, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

hugoline wrote: »
    Hammertime (running a petrol station himself) gives the reasons for lack of this service in this thread.

how the heck did you find that one Hugo ! :)

As an update on that thread, I installed a insert €1 shopping trolley thing on the forecourt which cost me only €20 to buy, since then I have not had one single airline damaged by being thrown or left on the ground to be run over. It was a great success so I could then put a new state of the art digital unit in at a cost of €4500

However.....

:(

I have now a new problem of having to replace it 3 times from people slashing the head off the airline out of pure spite at having to put a €1 coin (that is fully refundable) into the unit to get the airline released.

You can't win.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

buy a footpump or a compressor that fits in the fag lighter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Yes, Same around here (Sligo).....Think it's because of it being vandalised....Some have the air point but the connection has been broken.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Advertisement