Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki Intruder VS 800 - rev counter add on???

• 28-01-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have a 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS 800 and the only gauge it has is a speedometer. Can you add on an after market rev counter?
    Its an american import (if that makes a difference).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

im not 100% sure but I think ya can.
    just outta curiosity, why would you wanna add one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Unless you're making some serious upgrades or drag racing the bike I wouldn't bother.

Cruisers and choppers don't come with them simply because they rev so low and they're not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Juicemeister

2 reasons for it:

1. I think my bike is revving high. At 55mph in 5th gear it seems like I'm pushing it into 4000rpm which seems very high.
    2. Just to have one there. Its a nice bike but seriously lacking in the whole dial/indicators display. Don't want to ruin it with crap either though.

Do you know where I could try and source one? If I know it can be done and can source the parts then I'd give it serious consideration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

2 reasons for it:

1. I think my bike is revving high. At 55mph in 5th gear it seems like I'm pushing it into 4000rpm which seems very high.
    2. Just to have one there. Its a nice bike but seriously lacking in the whole dial/indicators display. Don't want to ruin it with crap either though.

Do you know where I could try and source one? If I know it can be done and can source the parts then I'd give it serious consideration

where are you taking the signal from (do you know)

the magnetic pickup ? or is there a cable drive on the crank case somewhere

if you are taking the signal from the pickups then you'll need an electric speedo

tbh its a complicated and pointless exercise why not put on a nicer set of clocks mabey woitha speedo / chrono setup

Im not taking a reading from anywhere. Im basing it on the sound from the engine which basically sounds like Im pushing it to its limits at 65 or 70mph. I can get more out but it sounds like the engine is about to explode then which I don't like.
    I thought for an 800cc that the engine would sound like its being pushed when its at or over 100mph?
    I only got it last summer and its my first bike so I don't have much to compare against bar my friends 800 marauder which sounds good and, after we toook a road trip together, my bike uses up over 10% (prob closesr to 20%) more fuel that his which doesn't seem right either.
    Getting the impression its either tuned wrong or something else is up

• Advertisement

Im not taking a reading from anywhere. Im basing it on the sound from the engine which basically sounds like Im pushing it to its limits at 65 or 70mph. I can get more out but it sounds like the engine is about to explode then which I don't like.

i mean the reading for the tacho where would that come from?

I thought for an 800cc that the engine would sound like its being pushed when its at or over 100mph?

crusers would be geared low enough i'm sure that the gear ratio to road speed is available for both
    have you a haynes or owners manual see whether the road sopeed / rpm is different for the trwo of them

I only got it last summer and its my first bike so I don't have much to compare against bar my friends 800 marauder which sounds good and, after we toook a road trip together, my bike uses up over 10% (prob closesr to 20%) more fuel that his which doesn't seem right either.
    Getting the impression its either tuned wrong or something else is up

its a shaftie isn't it so it cant be a gearing ratio proble but its probably the issue

i think your bike (all of them) is low geared to make up for a lack of tourque
    its a eight valve head so it can rev a bit and so you end up reving it harder to get power. your bike is a shaftie so is having to wok harder to get the power to the back wheel so higher revs and more fuel

if your worried brinmg it to suzuki and ask them

Tigger wrote: »
    i mean the reading for the tacho where would that come from?

Sorry for my stupidity but what is the tacho?

crusers would be geared low enough i'm sure that the gear ratio to road speed is available for both
    have you a haynes or owners manual see whether the road sopeed / rpm is different for the trwo of them

I have a Haynes available to me. I'll check that this evening

its a shaftie isn't it so it cant be a gearing ratio proble but its probably the issue

i think your bike (all of them) is low geared to make up for a lack of tourque
    its a eight valve head so it can rev a bit and so you end up reving it harder to get power. your bike is a shaftie so is having to wok harder to get the power to the back wheel so higher revs and more fuel

if your worried brinmg it to suzuki and ask them

Yeah its shaft driven. Didn't think that would lead to less torque but that should tell you how much I know about it. Taking that into account is still seems a bit high so I think I'll get someone to have a look at it.

Yeah its shaft driven. Didn't think that would lead to less torque but that should tell you how much I know about it. Taking that into account is still seems a bit high so I think I'll get someone to have a look at it.
    let us know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Sorry for my stupidity but what is the tacho?

Tachometer - just another name for the rev. counter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachometer

Thanks for the help. It'll be a month before I get to check this out properly. I'll let ye know what the mechanic says and if its worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,450 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Two questions:

1. Is it restricted? It should reach 70-80mph if it is, a good bit more if not

2. According to Wikipedia it's a 5-speed gearbox, but it might be 6. Are you actually using top gear? It sounds stupid but on a bike it's easy enough to think you're in top gear when you're not. It should be stamped into the gearbox casing, near where the gear change linkage enters the gearbox, how many speeds it has.

Scrap the cap!

Hey lads, so I checked the bike out and it had been restricted before I got it even though I asked and they said it wasn't. Took out the restrictor and its humming away now. I still think its guzzling fuel like no tomorrow but its running better. Before I thought I was pushing 5th gear at 50/55mph whereas its more 60/65 now which, if Im honest, I thought it would still be cruising comfortably at 75/80. I got 90 out of it and there was more in it but it sounds like Im killing it. Im guessing thats me though so maybe an investment in ear plugs will keep me quiet.

On a related note. I took the bike apart with a mechanic (in so far as we took out the carbs, cleaned them etc and put it all back). All grand there. Just wondering about the following though...

On a V twin does one carb run all the time and when you open her up the other kicks in? When I had let it run idle for 10 mins the front carbs right hand side exhaust was red hot but the carb on the back with the left hand side exahaust was only luke warm at best.
    Is this the way its meant to be??? When I take her out on the road it heats up alright to the same level on both but I was just wondering if this is the way they run?

Thanks for the help so far lads and apologies for the delay in getting back to ye. I only got it back 2 weeks ago and wanted to test her out fully before coming back with the 'solution' I had found

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

I'm no expert by any means, but I think both pipes should heat up equally at tick over (pour some water on them and see if they dry in the same time)

Easiest option first would be change the spark plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Your clutch could be slipping if you are revving high without the speed.

she's only firing on one cylinder

where do you live?

Advertisement