Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Out With Photoshop

Options
  • 28-01-2010 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hey guys, I just got photoshop as I'm interested in designing posters/pictures and stuff like that and I want to get started straight away!

I've opened up photoshop but I've only been messing around getting to know what things do but there are so many options that I don't think I'll ever be able to.

So can anyone point me in the right direction. Maybe some tutorials or links that helped them when they were starting out. Or is the best way to learn just to dive right in and get to know things by using them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Plenty of video tutorials on youtube.

Also, check out psdtuts.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Which version are you using? CS3? What sort of graphics experience do you have?

Remember with any major software package it covers a lot of ground. Try not to be too intimidated by the detail, i'd guess that 99% of users never use ALL of the features.

YouTube is a really good idea and I wouldnt want to give any tips that may confuse you but ask questions if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Its CS4 that I have. My mate gave me a good tutorial so I'm working my way through that. There are so many things tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Deviantart has some really awesome tutorials:
    http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=photoshop+tutorials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 starlett

I said it in another post, but www.lynda.com is great. it is subscription though.

there's sooo much to learn with photoshop, so don't expect to learn it all quickly either. I've been using photoshop for the past 7 years or so and I still find new things to learn on occassion, so dont be put off if you feel its taking forever to master the tutorials. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭FLievre

Okay, I have been using photoshop since it was in black and white (not kidding).
    First thing to do is to understand how a picture is build. What I mean is what are layers and how they interact within themselves. What I would suggest is that you get yourself a target. A type of picture and what you want in it then we can start talking about how to organize that idea into a photoshop idea. Photoshop isn't only a software it is also a way to translate your ideas into something concrete.
    Give me a shout when you got an idea of a small project ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grunya

I found this course in Photoshop CS4 to be very useful
    http://creativetechs.com/training/photoshop-course/

All basic things are very well explained. It's an ongoing 6mth course, you can watch it for free every Thursday night for 2 hours. They started it in October (or November) last year, so they are not at the very beginning now, but the complete course can be bought now for half price.

Advertisement