Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halti head collar??

Options
  • 28-01-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Ive got a 6month old samoyed who is awful on the lead and is only getting stronger, I've tried the halti head collar:p but the only thing is he keeps bloody eating the bit that goes under his chin, there like €15 and hes on his third one, is there any stonger head collars out there that I could try as this collar really works?
    Thanks in advance:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Dogmatic do a leather head collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Thank you so much!!!:D:):D;):p I'll give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Hi Amzie, if he's able to eat the bottom bit while wearing it (ie. you're not leaving it on while not walking) you may need to go down a size.

Alternatively, a front leading harness might be a good option instead :)

Molberts wrote: »
    Hi Amzie, if he's able to eat the bottom bit while wearing it (ie. you're not leaving it on while not walking) you may need to go down a size.

Alternatively, a front leading harness might be a good option instead :)

Hes just eating it while hes being walked and hes so quick at it, its hard to stop him:( I tried going down a size and it was way too small, whats a front leading harness??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The Dogmatics are brill and i highly recommend them. They are much stronger than the halti and much better quality.

Why dont you get him to concentrate on you when you are walking him, have a really nice titbit/treat in your hand and make him watch you and every few steps he's being good reward him. This should distract him from chewing on it.
    Even if he is chewing on it you should be able to see this and pull it from his mouth with a firm "No". He'll soon get the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

You could also try a canny collar, I find them great. I bought one for my sister's dogs cos he pulls like a train and it worked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Amzie wrote: »
    Hes just eating it while hes being walked and hes so quick at it, its hard to stop him:( I tried going down a size and it was way too small, whats a front leading harness??

Its a harness that clips the lead to the front onto the chest strap rather than to the strap across the back. It means when he pull's he generally just pulls himself into you. i use one and they're pretty damn good, can't remember the brand name though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Halti do the front clipping harness. I got one for one of our dogs a couple of months ago and just got a second one for the second dog last week. They're great. Makes such a difference to our walks. The medium was about €16 from our local pet shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

Amzie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Ive got a 6month old samoyed who is awful on the lead and is only getting stronger, I've tried the halti head collar:p but the only thing is he keeps bloody eating the bit that goes under his chin, there like €15 and hes on his third one, is there any stonger head collars out there that I could try as this collar really works?
    Thanks in advance:D:D

Hey
    I hav a 5 month old one as well and he is the same my mother got a a halter that keeps his mouth shut aswell so he can not chew it either,and it makes him walk beside you inside of pulling you along and i've had it a week and the difference is amazing,ill found out where she got it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

A friend of ours has a Samoyed too, and he was a nightmare on the lead. She tried the Halti, but like you OP, it just didn't work.

On the recommendation of a friend she got him a dogmatic and it has literally transformed his behaviour on lead! So much so that lately she's even able to walk him with a regular lead & collar.

One thing though - if you are going to try the Dogmatic make sure you get the full leather one - the fabric one can cause matting in the Samoyed coat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

My 5 month old Alaskan Malamute is getting very strong and hard to control on the normal lead. And he's only about 60% of the size he will be. So thanks very much for the advice on this thread, i'll be looking into a few of these ideas also.

Hi, I eventually got the canny collar,its brilliant and he dosent mind it as much as the halti,I can finally walk him without him walking me!lol! the first few times he was a bit narky and kept trying to walk between my legs and was bashing into me which was really annoying but hes getting the hang of it now and im giving him lots of praise and some treats when hes good with it on :)

Advertisement