Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World's Best Derby?

• 28-01-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight's Manchester Derby makes it three absolute belters in a row, with another one still to come.

Simple question - what's the best derby to watch at the moment?

Best Derby? 136 votes

Manchester (City/United)
    0%
    Merseyside (Liverpool/Everton)
    18%
    NeVeRSoldieHealioDacelonidjonnybaddMr.Nice Guy[Deleted User]Mars BarXavi6DuffCarroller16Double Cs_carnageGillingtonCHDIrishcrxZonda999andy125miralizeCodofwar 25 votes
    North London (Arsenal/Tottenham)
    11%
    bytePaulwx in the cityThird_Echelonmickswhatawastersaltieevil_seedThe VoltSagat06YakultKess73x43r0Washington IrvingSpiritoftheseventiesGerty 16 votes
    Birmingham (Birmingham/Villa)
    6%
    jankDiddy Kongkeano_afcthorbarryOPENROADgebbeleverdead.ieTheSpecialOnex PyRo 9 votes
    Tyne (Newcastle/Sunderland)
    0%
    Raekwon 1 vote
    Old Firm (Celtic/Rangers)
    0%
    therokerroar 1 vote
    Dublin (Bohemians/Shamrock Rovers)
    15%
    BigConT-b0n3mikeymA Dub in Glasgoodonnell~Marky~JimiTimedavyjosebuilttospilldf1985NehaxakLamper.sffcPaulegendBroxi_Bear_EirePattheMetallerdoncarlosToTheSea:KenteachJiggamagma69 21 votes
    Milan (Inter/AC)
    7%
    CiaranCkrankykittyPalGLaDOSNalzSr. Pirotecnicfh041205Pedro Kmajor billBOHtox 10 votes
    Rome (Lazio/Roma)
    8%
    PHBSeanehfolanjoker77efbjohnp[Deleted User]donmeisterm@cc@DaemosEpicurus 11 votes
    Madrid (Athletico/Real)
    2%
    CionádBubs101carlop 3 votes
    Barcelona (Barcelona/Espanyol)
    0%
    Instanbul (Galatasary/Fenerbahce)
    0%
    Buenos Aires (Boca Juniors/River Plate)
    3%
    syngindubironictoasterRekop dogGlico ManReginald P. DuM 5 votes
    Rio de Janeiro (Flamengo/Vasco da Gama)
    25%
    VokesrovingroverpickarooneyKingp35kraggyJazzycrushproofeZe^Paul TergatstovelidPaparazzoPeyton ManningFrisbeeROCKMANdfx-JohnerColumbiaK-9Mr Alanfrostie500 34 votes
    Moscow (CSKA/Spartak)
    0%
    Tel Aviv (Maccabi/Hapoel)
    0%
    Munich (Bayern/1860)
    0%
    Prague (Slavia/Sparta)
    0%
    Lisbon (Benfica/Sporting)
    0%
    Other (please specify)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shels Fingal tbh

One of them Turkish ones or one from Eastern Europe. Those fans are crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

River-Boca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

El Clásico ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

River-Boca.

seriously.

try watching it.

it's f*cking pandemonium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

redout wrote: »
    El Clásico ftw.

That isn't a Derby. No more than United/Liverpool is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Rome (Lazio/Roma)
    1. Celtic-Rangers
    2. Boca Juniors- River Plate
    3. AC-Inter

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Milan (Inter/AC)
    I voted Dublin due to my obvious bias, but really I'd say Galatasaray - Fenerbahce, Turkish fans always impress me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Des wrote: »

Well excuse me but in Spain it is widely referred to as "El derbi español".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That's because Spanish people are all suffering from sun stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Based on passion of players involved I would say the Manchester Derby, its almost always guaranteed to be a belter, with the exception of very few games that I remember. It just seems inbred into the players to give their all.

But based on fans and their passion, I would imagine it would be the Argentinian lads, feck I've seen some of those games and the fans are going ballistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Barca-Real Madrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

There are now many games around that are not strictly 'local derbies' but are far more recognised as 'national derbies' and are arguably more important to the fans than the 'other' derby.

Notable examples of this would be:

-Manchester United vs. Liverpool (arguably takes precedence over either of Manchester United vs. Manchester City or Liverpool vs. Everton)

-Internazionale Milano vs. Juventus F.C. (referred to as 'Derby d'Italia'; arguably takes precedence over the 'Derby Della Madonnina' against AC Milan.)

-FC Barcelona vs. Real Madrid CF ('Il Clasico'; biggest derby game in Spain. Is seen to mean far more to fans of both sides for the historical reasons than the respective local derbies against Espanyol and Atletico)

Other slightly more dubious examples of this could include:

-Chelsea vs. Arsenal (nowadays the two biggest clubs in London and have in recent years seen each other as major local rivals)

-Chelsea vs. Liverpool (frequent meetings in the Champions League and Chelsea's rising star in England has seen meetings between these two become much more tribal)

But it has to be said, in most cases, nothing beats the acrimonious history between two neighbours and the bloodthirstiness that exists between the two...

And having watched several of the games in the past, my vote would have to go to River vs. Boca... Passion flaring both on and off the pitch is palpable and there are most definitely no prisoners taken whatsoever... The way football should be played!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Barca/Real is as much a derby as Milan/Juve only the distance is considerably bigger.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The most important one is obviously Rovers Bohs but for best, it probably gets pipped by Boca/River Plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

For sheer bile and hatred i would say Olympiakos-Panathinaikos, closely followed by the Old Firm.

There are some very under-rated derbies in England though. The Steel City derby between Wednesday and United is very heated, and the East Midlands one between Derby and Forest has always been very bitter. Bad blood on the south coast too with Pompey and Southampton. And a strange one is Palace-Brighton, quite why that developed i dont know, they're a good distance apart. But having attended a game between the two, i can positively say they really really hate each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would class United-Liverpool as a local derby. they are right beside each other and emotions run very high when they play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Buenos Aires (Boca Juniors/River Plate)
    LOL at most peoples replies!

It's clearly the Istanbul triangle of Fenerbaçhe, Besiktas and Galatasary, they are unrivaled for the pure passion. Stadiums are full around 5 hours before a game even starts. These are real fans, and for anyone ever lucky enough to go to one of the games the atmosphere is mind blowing. This is a Derby in the truest sense of the word. LOL at even the idea of that in the Premiership or in Spain.

I'd say River plate Boca would be second.

Milan (Inter/AC)
    Regardless of how big the teams are, if they aren't in the same city, it's not a Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rekop dog wrote: »

It's clearly the Istanbul triangle of Fenerbaçhe, Besiktas and Galatasary, they are unrivaled for the pure passion. Stadiums are full around 5 hours before a game even starts. These are real fans, and for anyone ever lucky enough to go to one of the games the atmosphere is mind blowing. This is a Derby in the truest sense of the word. LOL at even the idea of that in the Premiership or in Spain.

you can't judge it on just passion though, the consistent quality of football should be a factor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Regardless of how big the teams are, if they aren't in the same city, it's not a Derby

says who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Rome (Lazio/Roma)

Define a derby, then try and say it isn't a derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

DazMarz wrote: »
    Internazionale Milano vs. Juventus F.C. (referred to as 'Derby d'Italia'; arguably takes precedence over the 'Derby Della Madonnina' against AC Milan.)

I wouldent agree with this. Inter-Juve is big for totally different reasons,being Juve had more trophies than Inter,which Inter took a great dislike too. But Inter and Ac Milan hate each other following the split of the clubs way back, Inter disliking the lack international players while Ac Milan wanted to keep it Italian.

In recent years the Milan Derby has lost some of its atmosphere. Once they banned flares it wasent as intimidating. Although now there is some amazing banner and flag work. And its always fiery on the pitch.

But both Juve and Ac Milan agree that theirs is the greatest derby as they are to two clubs with the most trophies in Italy ;)

Any of the South Americans Derbies are in a different realm though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Rome (Lazio/Roma)

I remember Souness planting a Galatasary flag in the middle of Fenerbaçhe's centre circle at the end of a Turkish Cup final and nearly sparking a riot. Pure Souness! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I wouldent agree with this. Inter-Juve is big for totally different reasons,being Juve had more trophies than Inter,which Inter took a great dislike too. But Inter and Ac Milan hate each other following the split of the clubs way back, Inter disliking the lack international players while Ac Milan wanted to keep it Italian.

In recent years the Milan Derby has lost some of its atmosphere. Once they banned flares it wasent as intimidating. Although now there is some amazing banner and flag work. And its always fiery on the pitch.

But both Juve and Ac Milan agree that theirs is the greatest derby as they are to two clubs with the most trophies in Italy ;)

Fair point.

The key word I placed in all of the derbies I listed was 'Arguably'.

I personally do not think that Inter v. Juve is bigger than Inter v. AC, but I just know people who do think it is bigger/more passionate/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Anyone who thinks any of the British derbies/rivalries is the most intense/best derby in the world is deluded.

Boca/River would be my first one. But I wouldn't rule out some the Turkish or former Yugoslavian ones either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Think most people didn't read the OP's question

Milan (Inter/AC)
    mayordenis wrote: »
    says who?
    The definition of the term derby for a start

I can understand arguments for the likes of Liverpool v United because they're so close, but the derby get its importance because the fans are always in close contact because they live together and it ups the rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

to watch at the moment.

has be barca v real. quality of players in this game is unreal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rome (Lazio/Roma)
    Milan Derby, Did none of you see the game at the weekend?

Even pirlo, as ****e as he played, was throwing himself around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

you started it with Shels/Fingal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I went for the Boca / River derby. The passion and how it the supporter is what makes it more of an intense affair then anything Europe can come up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Boca -v- River

Usually the most entertaining game of the year between awful defending, great attacking, sendings off and insane fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A derby for me is two teams from the same city, not the same region. No matter how much a regional team might kid themselves otherwise.

Rovers and Bohs / United and City are obviously my favourites and the ones I've attended, but I've always wanted to see River and Boca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Did you see the Milan Derby at the weekend? There was flares a plenty!

I'd have to say Boca - River though, as it's about alot more than football, working class vs middle class and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Birmingham (Birmingham/Villa)
    The North London Derby is by far the most passionate game I have ever been to it's truly insane.

And now it looks like Campbell will be playing this year with Vermaleen injured it doesn't bode well tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Milan (Inter/AC)
    12 people for Boca v RP, I bet half of those haven't watched a full 90mins those teams played in.

I've been to two of those derbys listed above, and I believe its too vague and sticky of a question to answer unless you've experienced them all on a few occasions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Is it a myth or truth that River Plate once won 5-0 in the derby and Boca fans enacted their own revenge on five River Plate fans?

The best Derby is the one your own team is involved in I would have thought?

So it's Pool-Everton for me if you are only talking local derbies. Pool-united will always be No.1 game for me though.

Celtic-Rangers is intense, more so than Pool-United imo. Been over in Glasgow when they've been on as a good few friends are over there. Place is crazy for the day of the match, serious hatred in the air.

The religious element just gives it more intensity.

That said, Myself and my brother were on a train from Manchester airport to Liverpool in 2007 for a pool-united game on the morning of a match when the train stopped in Manchester somewhere.

The next thing the train was full of united fans on the way to Anfield.

Let's just say we had no colours showing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

For obvious reasons it has to be the Merseyside derby for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Salthill Devon vs. Mervue United. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Sowetto Derby - Orlando Pirates V Kaiser Chiefs...

Standard of football is pretty poor but great craic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Everton vs Liverpool for me anyway when it comes to city derby matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Everton vs Liverpool for me anyway when it comes to city derby matches.

I've always seen that as one of the shitter derbies tbh. Never really excites me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I've always seen that as one of the shitter derbies tbh. Never really excites me.

Even 2 seasons ago when City were utter crap and the Manchester derby was a non-event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Xavi6 wrote: »

To be honest, out of that entire list of derby matches, it's the only tie that has produced classic matches over the years that everyone has watched and enjoyed. Like any set of fixtures there are the wet-fish ties, but both teams have been in the same division since 1959 when liverpool got promoted and it has one of the most contested matches between 2 teams...

Man Utd/Man City for example has never had the same level of competitiveness until this season really. Celtic/Rangers is usually just a sectarian kicking fest.. the rest are foreign derby matches that most people don't know a lot about or the history behind them.

Barca vs Real (if we can technically call it a derby) is the most watched match in the world most seasons... Even though they aren't in the same city, when it comes to foreign derby matches, this has to be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

noodler wrote: »
    Even 2 seasons ago when City were utter crap and the Manchester derby was a non-event?

:confused: I never said it wasn't. It was a pretty crap derby as well.

I don't see the need to turn it around because I said I don't personally enjoy Merseyside derbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Has to be pool everton. We had some terrific clashes with them in 1980s. this one stands out for me. Great game it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭crushproof

Catching a Besiktas game next week! :D Can't flippin wait!!

River-Boca got my vote though.
    How about Partizan - Red Star in Belgrade?! Was there before when the derby was on, not a hope of getting a ticket it was absoutel pandemonium around the place! Pure and utter hatred, needless to say I swifty made my way back to the city centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

crushproof wrote: »
    River-Boca got my vote though.
    How about Partizan - Red Star in Belgrade?! Was there before when the derby was on, not a hope of getting a ticket it was absoutel pandemonium around the place! Pure and utter hatred, needless to say I swifty made my way back to the city centre!

Was just about to say the Belgrade Derby myself.

Not sure if these are in the poll but:
    Maccabi Haifa – Hapoel Haifa
    Levski Sofia – CSKA Sofia
    Cracovia – Wisla Krakow
    Rapid Wien – Austria Wien

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

the rest are foreign derby matches that most people don't know a lot about or the history behind them.

They're pretty much all foreign derby matches, apart from bohs-rovers

• Advertisement
Advertisement