Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World's Best Derby?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

North London (Arsenal/Tottenham)
    They're pretty much all foreign derby matches, apart from bohs-rovers

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Merseyside (Liverpool/Everton)
    They're pretty much all foreign derby matches, apart from bohs-rovers

wonder_woman.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

post a better pic of wonder woman plz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Rio de Janeiro (Flamengo/Vasco da Gama)
    I think to answer this properly you really need to take away your own teams derby. Obviously, that is going to mean the most to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

stovelid wrote: »
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't make me go to 4 emoticons....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I'm gonna say the merseyside derby is my favorite, but last nights manchester game was a fantastic derby match in its own right!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rome (Lazio/Roma)
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    wonder_woman.jpg

Careful xavi, posting funny pictures will get you de-modded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

DazMarz wrote: »
    Other slightly more dubious examples of this could include:

-Chelsea vs. Arsenal (nowadays the two biggest clubs in London and have in recent years seen each other as major local rivals)

Despite what Sky say, that is not considered a derby.

Arsenal's derby is with Spurs and Chelsea's are with Spurs and West Ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The North London Derby is by far the most passionate game I have ever been to it's truly insane.

And now it looks like Campbell will be playing this year with Vermaleen injured it doesn't bode well tbh

Are you insane? Campbell possibly playing will make it a cracking derby game!
    I've always seen that as one of the shitter derbies tbh. Never really excites me.

+1.

Any time I think of the scouse derby I picture the Sky cameras panning across the stands and picking out the Liverpool and Everton fans sitting beside each other wearing colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Any time I think of the scouse derby I picture the Sky cameras panning across the stands and picking out the Liverpool and Everton fans sitting beside each other wearing colours.

from a Liverpool fan.

in general, the Merseyside derby is sh*t.

the Goodison one with McAllister's last gasp free is the last one i properly remember.

i don't get excited by them at all.

it's been pretty unexciting since the 80s I'd imagine.

i was only born in '82 so i can't judge.

That couldn't be further from reality.

It seems to be getting more bitter as the years go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I voted for River Boca, hard to beat that one.

In Italy it has to be Lazio Roma and in England Spurs Arsenal. Although City Man-u is going to be a big one in the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Tonight's Manchester Derby makes it three absolute belters in a row, with another one still to come.

Simple question - what's the best derby to watch at the moment?

Voted for the mersey derby, think it will always be up there with the best, as it has been for decades and decades.

Man U vs City, meh. !, some belters recently but it hasn't always been like that

Also kudos to the boca derby, gotta respect that or you are not normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Dublin (Bohemians/Shamrock Rovers)
    Des wrote: »
    That isn't a Derby. No more than United/Liverpool is.

so what defines a derby??

could it be the couple of kilometers that liverpool and trafford are apart?

i and alot of people very much consider man U against liverpool a derby

as for the merseyside derby yes you still get some everton fans sitting with liverpool fans and the other way around. its a city where friends and family support opposion so its inevitable that they are sometimes mixed(as oppose to manchester where it is prodominantly city fans). as for it being more and more bitter that couldnt be further from the truth. around shanks time there was a HUGE rivalry. if anything its a more friendly scene these days.

• Advertisement

Paulegend wrote: »
    so what defines a derby??

i and alot of people very much consider man U against liverpool a derby

as for the merseyside derby yes you still get some everton fans sitting with liverpool fans and the other way around. its a city where friends and family support opposion so its inevitable that they are sometimes mixed(as oppose to manchester where it is prodominantly city fans). as for it being more and more bitter that couldnt be further from the truth. around shanks time there was a HUGE rivalry. if anything its a more friendly scene these days.

statistically derby's involve two teams from the same borough

Mersey = Everton and Liveprool, even Tranmere are in a different borough.

Manchester is only a derby with either team from merseyside due to the fact that they are lancs teams, but also are Blackburn, burnley, oldham..

that or because they hate each other, but lots of teams hate each other..

Are you insane? Campbell possibly playing will make it a cracking derby game!

+1.

you would want thick skin to wear opposing colours at a derby in merseyside lately :rolleyes:

I was at the one recently and a couple (reds) were sat near me and were heckled like fook, but they were quite and in the end the few blues who abused them were thrown out and they were left alone.

the 'friendly' derby has sadly demised like the harp ads of old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Arsenal's derby is with Spurs and Chelsea's are with Spurs and West Ham.
    Although they've rarely been in the same division, Chelsea's real derby is with Millwall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

SlickRic wrote: »
    from a Liverpool fan.

in general, the Merseyside derby is sh*t.

the Goodison one with McAllister's last gasp free is the last one i properly remember.

i don't get excited by them at all.

it's been pretty unexciting since the 80s I'd imagine.

i was only born in '82 so i can't judge.

From a Liverpool fan I know from Liverpool who organises all the flags, etc... on the Kop and goes to every game, he Merseryside derby is the biggest match on his calendar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Milan (Inter/AC)
    MY 7 in no particular order!!

river-boca- has everything passion,colour and good football.

bohs-rovers- obvious reasons love the hostile athmosphere.

wisla-cracovia- another colorfull crazy derby full of hate but sadly never get to see the coverage.

panat-olympiakos- dont have to say much about that.

notts county-notts forest- underated derby friendly(hatred more like) matches in the summer sometimes result in pitch invasions from rival fans a friend of mine while playing for forest had to run off the pitch cos a match got so heated.

millwall-west ham- might not be a glamour tie but its very hard to find another derby filled with as much hate as this one.

fenerbache-galatasary- you know the score with this one.

:cool::)

very frequent visitor to nottingham so hence why i picked the notts derby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Tyne (Newcastle/Sunderland)
    Any of the Brazilian derbies (minus the extreme violence of course)

Sao Paulo vs Palmeiras vs Corinthians - The Sao Paolo derbies

Vasco da Gama vs Flamengo vs Fluminense vs Botafogo - The Rio De Janeiro derbies

Gremio vs Internacional - The Porto Alegre derby

Atletico Paranaense vs Coritiba - The Curitiba derby

Read an article recently about the Merseyside derby, and it said that - while it used to more congenial- it had got a lot more rancorous in recent times.
    Paulegend wrote: »

About 50 actually. Manchester is as close (if not closer) to any number of other clubs.

Even a Yorkshire team like Leeds is only about 60k away I think.

United and City are in Greater Manchester; Liverpool is in Merseyside. Not a derby to me in any way except that they are two of the most historic big clubs in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

stovelid wrote: »
    Read an article recently about the Merseyside derby, and it said that - while it used to more congenial- it had got a lot more rancorous in recent times.
    I was at the one recently and a couple (reds) were sat near me and were heckled like fook, but they were quite and in the end the few blues who abused them were thrown out and they were left alone.

For comparison, if that happened at White Hart lane the Arsenal fans would have left the ground in the company of police or on a stretcher.

And I don't even consider the North London derby to be that great in global terms.
    major bill wrote: »
    millwall-west ham- might not be a glamour tie but its very hard to find another derby filled with as much hate as this one.

Great shout, proper nasty derby that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Milan (Inter/AC)
    My favourites ;

Bohs v Rovers

Celtic v Rangers

Brazil v Argentina

Inter v Milan

United v City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Milan (Inter/AC)
    bohs - shams for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Probably already mentioned, but the Athens derby is usually a hum dinger of a game, in similar vain to Istanbul. The fans go absolutely crazy. It's not called the "Derby of the Eternal Enemies" for nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Old Firm (Celtic/Rangers)
    Rovers V Bohs has more votes than The Tyne-Wear Derby, The Moscow Derby, The Rome Derby and The Istanbul Derby, amongst others :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Milan (Inter/AC)
    Rovers V Bohs has more votes than The Tyne-Wear Derby, The Moscow Derby, The Rome Derby and The Istanbul Derby, amongst others :pac:
    I never thought I'd see Irish club bias actually come through on this forum :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I never thought I'd see Irish club bias actually come through on this forum :D

All the barstoolers seen Lawless Ireland last week on TV3!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Madrid (Athletico/Real)
    The Seville derby (Real Betis - Sevilla) deserves a mention somewhere. Generally regarded as the craziest derby in Spain.

Genoa - Sampdoria is another tasty one, always guaranteed a red card or two and their tends to be clashes between rival fans in the days leading up to the match.

Palermo - Catania is not strictly a derby as they don't come from the same city, but they are the two biggest teams in Sicily and their matches often spark violence, tragically so almost three years ago when a policeman was killed.

• Advertisement

All the barstoolers seen Lawless Ireland last week on TV3!:D

I haven't been able to sleep since I saw that homicidal umbrella attack.

Not to mention the foul-mouthed singing on the train.

Disgraceful showing this sort of stuff when kids are still up.

Advertisement