Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regression Models

• 28-01-2010 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm currently designing some regression models for one of my Economics undergraduate modules.
    As I was saying, this is a multiple linear regression model, and I was just looking for some clarification on the following function:
    y = β1 + β2x + β3x2 + β4x3
    where: y = investment, x = GDP, x2 = Interest Rate and x3 = Inflation.

Are the signs (+/-) for each of the following independent variables correct?
    The form of the sign is determined with respect to the effect that the explanatory variable (x) has on the dependent variable (y).
    I.e. An increase in x/x2/x3 has a positive/negative effect on y.

GDP = positive (+)
    Interest Rate = negative (-)
    Inflation = negative (-)

Thanks in advance! ;)

Comments

You'd be best to put up the whole output from the regression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

You would expect that:

GDP = positive (+)
    Interest Rate = negative (-)
    Inflation = negative (-)

However, that's just what you expect. Your regression results will determine the sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭patriks

Hey guys,

Sorry, I should have phrased that with a little more clarity. The question was, in fact, pertaining to the expected signs.

Thanks a million, everybody! ;)

Advertisement