Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Union Address

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Overheal wrote: »
    Goes live in 23 mins from the time of this post. You can watch it on youtube via Stream here:

http://www.youtube.com/citizentube?feature=ticker

Hi,ya overheal I will/am watching it on Satelite TV!
    I am hoping for a good performance,You no doubt are hoping Barack will trip over the carpet!:pac::pac::D

It usually is done with great style whatever the party in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ynotdu wrote: »
    Hi,ya overheal I will/am watching it on Satelite TV!
    I am hoping for a good performance,You no doubt are hoping Barack will trip over the carpet!:pac::pac::D

It usually is done with great style whatever the party in power.
    Ah its funny how people view me in this forum over time. Varies by month. I've been called everything from a leftie liberal to a conservative dem hater.

Independence is Fun :)

I hope he Shifts Gears. Whats been going on: isnt working. The Hi Speed Rail thing? Love that. We need to be doing things to invest in our economy like that. Restore consumer confidence they will buy. Then employers will be more confident and hire. Things will take off from there.

etc. ;)

Ah its funny how people view me in this forum over time. Varies by month. I've been called everything from a leftie liberal to a conservative dem hater.

Independence is Fun :)

I hope he Shifts Gears. Whats been going on: isnt working. The Hi Speed Rail thing? Love that. We need to be doing things to invest in our economy like that. Restore consumer confidence they will buy. Then employers will be more confident and hire. Things will take off from there.

etc. ;)

When You are being criticised from the left.right,centre,independants.

You must be doing SOMETHING right!!!!!!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

or everything wrong :p

or everything wrong :p

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Jobs as a priority is a good thing.

"Let's try common sense"

".......a novel concept"

:)

Wow! No holds barred with the Supreme Court...

I watched on CNN domestic here in Ireland,as i moved away from TV just after the long speech i thought i heard an analyst saying there was no booing?
    was Obama not booed early on by the Republicans when he alluded to the 'problems' he had inherited or was it the democrats making noise of support?????????

As state of the Union address's go by any party i thought it was mostly Rhetoric(something Barack gets A+ for:)}

Did not expect to get much specifics and was not disappointed.I because of a love of the Space progamme was hoping for some statement about NASA.s future,but it was well rumoured he would not mention it.(apparently White House decided against it because of the delicacy of the subject of health care spend)

Rhetoric on ALL he said tonight can be translated into fact,here's hoping it does!

Show us 'the beef' Mr President!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Obama has promised to push America deeper into debt. I would say the long term value of the US dollar is about 0.

SLUSK wrote: »
    Obama has promised to push America deeper into debt. I would say the long term value of the US dollar is about 0.

Hi.ya Slusk,is that Your 2 cents worth?????:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

GuanYin wrote: »
    Jobs as a priority is a good thing.

"Let's try common sense"

".......a novel concept"

:)

Wow! No holds barred with the Supreme Court...

It seems as though Obama has never heard of the "parable of the broken window" -- someone should send him a copy of That Which Is Seen and That Which Is Unseen post haste. He excitely announced the creation of countless new jobs, and then explained that they would be teachers, firemen, policemen, and so on; and even talked about ambitious infrastructural projects. He then got a standing ovation. Somehow, I can't imagine Brian Cowen getting much applause in the Dáil for announcing that he'd solve the unemployment crisis by expanding the size of the public sector. Public sector jobs don't create any wealth; they're just another expense -- he may as well get one guy to dig a hole and another to fill it in. What Obama really needs to do is faciliate the growth of the private sector in order to pay for all of that spending he's done over the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Soldie wrote: »
    He excitely announced the creation of countless new jobs, and then explained that they would be teachers, firemen, policemen, and so on

No, he said focusing on job creation would be our national priority and highlighted the jobs "saved" by the government's actions - teachers, emergency services, police officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

those speeches are painful to watch, bunch of giddy children having to jump off their seats in raptures after every mundane bloody sentence. Decent speech but very hard to watch all the ridiculous pantomine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Now that is how a President gives a speech. It had poise and eloquence with some concrete policies sprinkled on top as well. There was even some good old Senate bashing, whats not to like?:D

Will this speech restart the Obama presidency? On its own, probably not. But if he follows this up with getting stuff like the new the new high speed rail done, there's hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

cm2000 wrote: »
    those speeches are painful to watch, bunch of giddy children having to jump off their seats in raptures after every mundane bloody sentence. Decent speech but very hard to watch all the ridiculous pantomine.

100% correct. It doesn't matter who is in power. When W gave the SotUA, all the Repubs were jumping up and down while the Dems sat in their seats with their arms folded. Now it's the other way round. Same old story.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Obama is a tax and spend European style social democrat, jaysus I thought Bush was bad when it came to spending spiraling out of control but Obama is even worse, Keynesian style economics will bankrupt America leaving future generations with a heavy tax burden in order to provide for a rapidly ageing population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Obama is a tax and spend European style social democrat, jaysus I thought Bush was bad when it came to spending spiraling out of control but Obama is even worse, Keynesian style economics will bankrupt America leaving future generations with a heavy tax burden in order to provide for a rapidly ageing population.
    Yeah, but they could always CHOP their crazy military budget for a windfall of savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Yeah, but they could always CHOP their crazy military budget for a windfall of savings.

I fully agree, the military budget should be slashed big time, I believe America should pursue an isolationanist foreign policy while at the same promoting free trade instead of the disastrous policy that is protectionism when it comes to economics.

I see Obama announced a three year partial spending freeze, I somewhat doubt it when all these leftie democrats in congress make sure that they keep their own pet projects for their own congressional district or state (if senate). On the other hand when it comes to health care I wish a couple of moderate Republicans would support heallth insurance for pre existing conditions as well as providing health insurance in the case of catostrophic illness, most of Obama's health care legislation is flawed and completely unaffordable, then again some Republicans need to take a bi-partisan approach on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Just watched it. What an inspiring president. He may not get it all done in his term, but he's everything a poitical leader should be. Especially liked the fines to the banks for paying bonuses, support of local banks & freezing of administrative salaries (& no bonuses). Just like that. No "asking them to take a paycut" (& then them either not doing it or getting it back). Inspiring leadership. We should try to sell Ireland to the USA. Cheaper goods, better range, better politics. Someone go ask them, I'm pretty sure they'd be interested...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

but he's everything a poitical leader should be

Whatever happens to constitute your list, might I suggest appending 'Effective' to it?

He's done everything perfectly well except, well, actually do anything, really.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

He's done everything perfectly well except, well, actually do anything, really.

NTM

Thats not entirely true. Obama has manged to get both the Stimulus and the Lily Ledbetter Act through Congress, which in my view are both decent pieces of legislation. He has also managed to get Sotamayor on to SCOTUS, which is no mean feat these days.

Has he been a perfect president so far? No. But it is disingenuous to say he has done nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement