Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with China visa

Options
  • 28-01-2010 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently on a 1 year working holiday visa to Australia, my plan is to leave oz on the 16th april and travel to China, do I need to apply to the Irish Chinenese Embassy or the Oz one to get a valid holiday visa?

Any help will be much appreciated as I have tried to contact both embassies but they can't seem to help me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Hi,

I am currently on a 1 year working holiday visa to Australia, my plan is to leave oz on the 16th april and travel to China, do I need to apply to the Irish Chinenese Embassy or the Oz one to get a valid holiday visa?

Any help will be much appreciated as I have tried to contact both embassies but they can't seem to help me.

Thanks

Try applying online?

http://au.china-embassy.org/eng/ls/t356893.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

m@cc@ wrote: »

Yeah but I apply to the Australian Chinese Embassy in Canberra or the Irish Chinese Embassy in Dublin? I am flying from Australia to Hong Kong but I will be travelling on an Irish passport so thus I do not know if its the Australian embassy or Irish embassy! Also I was told not to apply more then 2-3 months in advance of travel as they only accept application in this time frame!!

Thanks for your help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You apply to the embassy of the country you want to travel in - so to the Chinese embassy. Apply to the embassy in the town or city that will be nearest to you at both your time of application and your time of travelling, because most places will want to put a physical visa in your passport - so the Chinese embassy in Canberra.

You apply to the embassy of the country you want to travel in - so to the Chinese embassy. Apply to the embassy in the town or city that will be nearest to you at both your time of application and your time of travelling, because most places will want to put a physical visa in your passport - so the Chinese embassy in Canberra.

Brilliant!! thank for the help! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah but I apply to the Australian Chinese Embassy in Canberra or the Irish Chinese Embassy in Dublin? I am flying from Australia to Hong Kong but I will be travelling on an Irish passport so thus I do not know if its the Australian embassy or Irish embassy! Also I was told not to apply more then 2-3 months in advance of travel as they only accept application in this time frame!!

Thanks for your help!!
    The Australian one is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

"I am flying from Australia to Hong Kong" - if its only Hong Kong you are going to you don't need a holiday visa if you are there for less than 90days (I think) I was there a few months ago.

If you are going on to China please ignore above :D

I'm sure you'd go with the Chinese Embassy.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    "I am flying from Australia to Hong Kong" - if its only Hong Kong you are going to you don't need a holiday visa if you are there for less than 90days (I think) I was there a few months ago.

If you are going on to China please ignore above :D

I'm sure you'd go with the Chinese Embassy.

No no im travelling China as well!

yeah i know Chinese Embassy but I didnt know if I was to apply to the one based in Dublin or Canberra but seems like Canberra so thanks everyone for your help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

ok, my girlfriend got caught out badly with this before. She presented herself to the chinese embassey in dublin and was told that to apply for a visa you need to have six months left on your visa for the country you are in at the moment....if that makes sense... she is australian by the way. the problem was that her irish visa was about to run out and it needed at least 6 months on it for her to apply for a visa in ireland. at this stage we were about to leave for australia via hong kong and china.

Call the chinese embassy in canberra before you go there to check this. if you cant get a visa here you can get a mainland visa in hong kong. the guy in our hostel did it for us. it took 2 days i think and cost us the price of the visa + a small fee each. not much more than it would have cost to get the train to the embassy and all that.

sorry for the disjointed post.hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

you can get the chinese visa in hong kong, irish citizens get 3 months on arrival in hk airport and then you can go from there and get your chinese mainland visa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

38141 wrote: »
    you can get the chinese visa in hong kong, irish citizens get 3 months on arrival in hk airport and then you can go from there and get your chinese mainland visa

I dont think this is correct, but maybe im wrong, you can get a visa on arrival to Hong Kong, but you then you also need to get a separate chinese visa, and they only give out 30 day visa's at a time, least thats the way it was for me about 6 months ago. Hong Kong is one of the easiest places to get a visa for china.

• Advertisement

So be prob best to wait until i get to hong kong before applying for a Chinese visa!! Has anyone ever had any problems getting one from hong kong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Its very easy in Hong Kong, just do it fairly smartly after you arrive, go and queue took me about 45 mins to put it in, they require passport photos which you can get in the building. its the usual story next day visa is the most expensive but if you're prepared to wait 3/4 days its the cheapest option, then you just go and pick it up, (they keep your passport for the few days)

The embassey is easy to find, and public transpost in Hong Kong is really good.

Advertisement