Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any fans of Warren Zevon

Options
  • 28-01-2010 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

my latest obsession

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"Send lawyers, guns and money,
    The s**t has hit the fan". :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yup, discovered him about a month ago through Last.fm!

He's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

roland the headless thompson gunner..

He was great...only got into him thanks to the tv show Justice which had lawyers, guns and money as the theme...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Grandpa p*ssed his pants again
    He don't give a damn

Also, I always loved the title of his album, "Sentimental Hygiene". Great name for a record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Big fan since the late 70's

Excitable Boy, Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School, two early albums that got me started as a Zevon fan

He died too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I'm a fan alright. Excitable Boy is an incredible album.

+1 for Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner

Also, Hindu Love Gods (Berry, Buck, Mills, Zevon) doing Prince's Raspberry Beret is the best cover version of all time, and that is not opinion, but fact.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

Hell yeah!! He's deadly. There's a great bio of him too called "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead". Well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

markesmith wrote: »
    Grandpa p*ssed his pants again
    He don't give a damn

Also, I always loved the title of his album, "Sentimental Hygiene". Great name for a record.

Its a brillliant record - guests on it include REM, Neil Young and Bob Dylan iirc.

"Life'll Kill Ya" is also a really good album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Also check out The Hindu Love Gods - a band consisting of Warren Zevon and 3 members of REM.

bullpost wrote: »
    Also check out The Hindu Love Gods - a band consisting of Warren Zevon and 3 members of REM.

See my post at #9 above. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Great artist. Don't know if it's true or not but apparently he was booed at a gig he did in UCD back in the day. Would have been the 70s I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

undIsolde wrote: »
    Great artist. Don't know if it's true or not but apparently he was booed at a gig he did in UCD back in the day. Would have been the 70s I think.

I haven't heard that, but he was a capricious dude, and no stranger to chemical enhancement of his evening. That might have had something to do with it.

Great songwriter. He wrote a lovely late song, My Ride's Here, with the Irish poet Paul Muldoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I like the version of Raspberry Beret he did in Hindu Love Gods. I don't really know any more of his stuff outside that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭meenmore

Also, Mutineer would reduce any man to a blubbering mess:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjTQqJXtgs

4:02.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Hmm. Very interesting comments, I only know Werewolves of London. Will check him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've had his discography for ages now, but haven't managed to go beyond listening to Werewolves of London... Must give it a blast now.

Any highly recommended tunes?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah, I love him since about 4 years ago (only after he died). Roland was the song that got me in to him - great track, but there are so many others. Wish I could have seen him live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Tristram wrote: »

I think this gig was in the National Stadium in the early 80's. He'd just put out the Stand In The Fire live album and then appeared solo when the audience were expecting a full band to perform. They promptly booed and heckled, the philistines. Just another example of the audience disgracing themselves :(

Advertisement