Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New American Paranormal Show - Paranormal Cops

Options
  • 28-01-2010 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭

I downloaded and watched episode one and two of this show and have to say it is one of the worst paranormal shows I have ever seen. These guys are supposed to be cops during the day and paranormal investigators at night.

Each episode so far makes it look like investigations are these super exciting CSI style adventures with ghost encounters and loads of usable audio and video data of ghosties every few minutes.

All the post investigation stuff seems to be magically done in about 10 mins on the night of the investigation or the morning after.

If you get a chance, have a look at this show to see how we don’t do investigations. Unfortunately real investigations are usually not this much of an adventure.

Not sure if it plays over here yet but it’s on American TV and can probably be found on youtube.

So if you get to watch an episode of this show then please comment on it here. Is it really as bad as I say or is it just my natural hate for American reality shows coming out.

Variety.com didn’t think much of the show either:
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117941877.html?categoryid=32&cs=1

YouTube Trailer(Warning, extra American cheese):

For all you sci-fi people like myself you might enjoy the classic Cylon type sound at 23 seconds to indicate the use of an EMF meter :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

smcgarr wrote: »
    Unfortunately real investigations are usually not this much of an adventure.

Speak for yourself mate. Im a CSI style ghosthunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ha, yeah but Grimes your more a CSI Miami (Horatio Caine) style investigator. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

I didn't even see it, my friend said don't even bother it's that bad...

Logan wrote: »
    I didn't even see it, my friend said don't even bother it's that bad...

You really need to see it to understand just how bad it is.

They have an EMF meter that they don't seem to use to take readings or anything. It has a big light and a buzzer on it. If the light and buzzer turns on that means they have a ghost with them, if no light or buzzer comes on, no ghost. So Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

I had the first ep, I downloaded it but then delete it, I was going to watch it one night I watched the intro but then fell sleep, the next day my mate said delete it, it's **** and cheesy, the guy with the cigar, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

When I read the title "Paranormal Cops", to be honest, I felt rather cynical about it straight away... seems my cynicism wasn't misplaced after all.

After seeing the intro vid, my reaction is: "What the hell?" Seriously, Scooby Doo has more credibility than that lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭paranormal

smcgarr wrote: »
    I downloaded and watched episode one and two of this show and have to say it is one of the worst paranormal shows I have ever seen. These guys are supposed to be cops during the day and paranormal investigators at night.

Each episode so far makes it look like investigations are these super exciting CSI style adventures with ghost encounters and loads of usable audio and video data of ghosties every few minutes.

All the post investigation stuff seems to be magically done in about 10 mins on the night of the investigation or the morning after.

If you get a chance, have a look at this show to see how we don’t do investigations. Unfortunately real investigations are usually not this much of an adventure.

Not sure if it plays over here yet but it’s on American TV and can probably be found on youtube.

So if you get to watch an episode of this show then please comment on it here. Is it really as bad as I say or is it just my natural hate for American reality shows coming out.

Variety.com didn’t think much of the show either:
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117941877.html?categoryid=32&cs=1

YouTube Trailer(Warning, extra American cheese):

For all you sci-fi people like myself you might enjoy the classic Cylon type sound at 23 seconds to indicate the use of an EMF meter :)

where can i get one of those cylon sound emitting emf meters .now that is a piece of kit worth having.our emf meters need to be updated to those straight away:D

paranormal wrote: »
    where can i get one of those cylon sound emitting emf meters .now that is a piece of kit worth having.our emf meters need to be updated to those straight away:D

What do you mean. We had one at the last investigation, remember.

I know it was only me going around making "woo woo" sounds but it had the same effect and was cheaper, which is important in these recession times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

There was something REALLY similar to that on Bravo a few hours ago. It was decent. Again, no resolutions to any problems.
    Basically, 'Yup, we think you have ghosts. Look, a thermal cam revealed a handprint on what is an extremely thin wall. Not that we faked this. Oh, it's your grandad. Let's call him a wifebeater to get a reaction (this from the supposed psychic). Oh right, we got loud banging. Well, we've suitably pissed it off now. Bye so *drive off*'

Entertaining. Not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Ever get the impression that most, if not all of these programs are simply for entertainment and do nothing to make the field more credible? I literally cringe whenever Most Haunted is mentioned (and Twilight, but that's a different kettle of fish), because I can no longer take it seriously. It used to be good, back in the early days, but then it devolved into crap. Of course, another reason for me not watching it is because I don't have access to Living TV.

Additonally, since it was brought up the DPC (Dublin Paranormal Convention), I'm inclined to agree with Ciaran and Steve that these types of programmes perpetuate bad practice in the field. I've always felt uncomfortable with the idea of "calling out" spirits, though I'm not 100% why at present. That aside, I don't think it's very practical calling out a ghost anyway. Surely it'd be better to do a mental call out as opposed to a verbal one, that is provided either method works at all...

While I do believe in all this and have done so for years (I was a member of the PRAI when it first started out), I can't help but wonder how practical certain things that are done on investigations actually are. Maybe calling a spirit out does work, but still I don't feel comfortable doing it. Other things that have made me feel uncomfortable me are ouija boards and séances; perhaps it's the cultural aspect of them that I'm uncomfortable about, but I do tend to avoid participating in either. It may be a psychological thing that causes problems or it may be spiritual... either way I'm never going to involve myself with such things again anytime soon.

On that thought as well, I do think it's a little irresponsible for those sorts of TV shows to actually use ouija boards as anyone could see that and be inspired to use one themselves. This isn't a good thing, re bad practices I mentioned above and it also gets people thinking that in order to go on an investigation, they need tools, one of which is an ouija board. Regardless of what the danger attached to an ouija board is, I still don't think it's a good idea using them as they could easily unbalance a person who does so.

I could most likely go on and on about this (hell, I could blog about it!),but I think I'd better stop before I ramble more. Hopefully though, what I said does make some sense; I'm combining this based upon my own personal experiences and also what I've seen, read and heard and subsequently what I think makes sense and also what I believe at the current time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement