Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary issue.

Options
  • 28-01-2010 4:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Will they get this sorted, because the city of Limerick is really falling out badly to the division complex.

Lets put the gombeenism aside and put our interests into the unity of the city and midwest as a whole. The couny councils should give the city parts to the city council and that is that.

The Pateen and city side suburbs stretching into Clare should also be part of the city. If not then no development should be allowed to be built on the Clarside, because its a natural exstension of the city.

I dont care if your a jew, chinese, limerickonia, clairian, corkonian, or a bkakcman. I don't care who you hout for in Hurling. I don't care if you perfer to live in Clare orLImerick. If you live in the cty limits you live in the cty.

This should be known offically.

Lets get a move on with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mysterious wrote: »
    Will they get this sorted, because the city of Limerick is really falling out badly to the division complex.

Lets put the gombeenism aside and put our interests into the unity of the city and midwest as a whole. The couny councils should give the city parts to the city council and that is that.

The Pateen and city side suburbs stretching into Clare should also be part of the city. If not then no development should be allowed to be built on the Clarside, because its a natural exstension of the city.

I dont care if your a jew, chinese, limerickonia, clairian, corkonian, or a bkakcman. I don't care who you hout for in Hurling. I don't care if you perfer to live in Clare orLImerick. If you live in the cty limits you live in the cty.

screw that, cheaper insurance and better-run council means I don't want to be part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

zuroph wrote: »
    screw that, cheaper insurance and better-run council means I don't want to be part of the city.
    Same for me. Screw the city of for overprice shops, bad bus service in the evening, bad traffic. Poor design for Motorway access to the city, poorly traffic management system throughout. They do not seem to get it that" I DO NOT WANT TO BE PART OF THE CITY" since they make like hell for me to call in. and they the city council rejected bus corridors into the city. The County Council already have bus lanes implemented in both Castletroy/Annacothy and Raheen/Dooradoyle. and It is difficult to cycle without been hit by bad Drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

zuroph wrote: »

The reason why the city is understaffed and choked is because the city is been sucked out from the county council.

If it were united the rates and insurance would drop.

If you dont want to live in the city move the **** out and move to Cork or Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ah yes, the bkakcmen. A shy people.

I am one of the "no thank you" people. The city council doesnt appear to be the best run organisation on the planet thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Two address's FTW.

One in Limerick to get the post faster and one in Clare to get Insurance cheaper.

Parteen, Westbury & Shannon banks are all part of the Knockballynameath Parish in Co Clare but as I grew up we used the Shannon banks, Limerick postal address and instead of the post getting routed through Ennis and then Clonlara it would arrive a day early.

Now I live in Tipperary Im not overly concerned.

However, I do see it as a tax receipt excercise by the city council. You have to bear in mind that the Crescent Shopping Centre and Raheen Industrial Estate pay their tax's to Limerick County Council and if the boundary extends that far then Limerick County Council will lose a lot of revenue.

It also matters little the actual location of the County Council Offices because they were once based on Mallow Street further within the City boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I don't care if you think the boundary should be extended.

UP THE BANNER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

No thanks, the city council should sort out what they have first before even thinking of moving the boundary. The simple reason nobody wants to go to the city centre is because the traffic is a nightmare, there are so many one-way systems you have to go around the entire city to get anywhere, not to mention when you get into the city where do you park??? On top of this when you get into the city the state of some of the roads is awful, Greenfield road and Hyde road being two prime examples.

I really dont care of your personal and ego demands. It's futile.

And your personal egso is repsonsible for this city in this mess that includes the greedy councilors.

The city is cash strapped, because 60 percent of this city is now outside it, and the population is now at its limit in the city centre, a city cannot funtion throughly as a city centre. The city needs to function with all that a city is.

Limerick is called limierck city. The part of Limerick city urban area is not county Clare, Jamaica, or County Limerick. Sporting and cultural matters dont affect these economic and physical issues that relate to Limerick city.

The boundary extension will benifet the midwest. Look at the planning crisis in Limerick for example? Limerick county has one of the richest counties in the country, and yet they dont have one urbanised town over 7000..

Why because the the council are vampires sucking the life out of the city.
    That is wrong and really not sustainable. The city is now a doughnut city. If this continues, Limerick city will shut down, and all you have is suburban sprawling shopping centres. The rates in the city will go up and the city willl collapse even more.

So all of you need to get real and cop on before this matter gets worse. Look at Galway and Cork they can manage their boundaries better than we can. The county council of Galway has invested in towns near and far Galway city. Cork likewise.

Limerick county council are more responsible for this imbalance than the city council

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The county council is not sucking the life out of the city, the city council is forcing people out with there haphazard approach to managing the city. Simply extending the boundary is not going to make theses problems go away.

If the boundary is extended, the City Council will destroy our areas with horrible housing estates that will then be filled up on behalf of the Regeneration Scheme. Just because the City Council have always messed things up, will mess things up and will always mess things up does not mean the people of Clare should suffer and be made part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The reason why the city is understaffed and choked is because the city is been sucked out from the county council.

If you dont want to live in the city move the **** out and move to Cork or Galway.
    I don't live in the city, I live in the county :pac:

The insurance wouldnt drop due to a boundary extension, we're lucky to be getting cheaper rates living NEXT to the city than in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Why do people come out with this stupid comment about moving out of a town if they do not like it?

Most people cannot afford to do something like that in the current financial enviroment, anyway if it was that simple for people to just move out, then it should be just as simple for the local authorities to use some common sense with their long term planning and actually do things for the greater good of the city rather than to raise their own profiles for future elections and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Limerick is called limierck city.

No it isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

Believe it or not Mysterious but Limerick city is actually in the COUNTY of Limerick, not vice versa..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The county council can offer better facilities and better rates to its residents, the city is unable or unwilling to do this, so instead it resorts to thieving from the county council. And uses this line of ''for the good of the whole midwest'' to disguise the fact that it is nothing more than a land grab. If a boundary extension is ever granted, god help the decent people in areas like Corbally, Dooradoyle, Raheen and Castletroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if the city fathers stopped fcuking around with the traffic, made it easy for people to get in, out shop etc, then it would not be emancipated, + their egos are the biggest problem that the city has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I really dont care of your personal and ego demands. It's futile.

And your personal egso is repsonsible for this city in this mess that includes the greedy councilors.

The city is cash strapped, because 60 percent of this city is now outside it, and the population is now at its limit in the city centre, a city cannot funtion throughly as a city centre. The city needs to function with all that a city is.

Limerick is called limierck city. The part of Limerick city urban area is not county Clare, Jamaica, or County Limerick. Sporting and cultural matters dont affect these economic and physical issues that relate to Limerick city.

The boundary extension will benifet the midwest. Look at the planning crisis in Limerick for example? Limerick county has one of the richest counties in the country, and yet they dont have one urbanised town over 7000..

Why because the the council are vampires sucking the life out of the city.
    That is wrong and really not sustainable. The city is now a doughnut city. If this continues, Limerick city will shut down, and all you have is suburban sprawling shopping centres. The rates in the city will go up and the city willl collapse even more.

So all of you need to get real and cop on before this matter gets worse. Look at Galway and Cork they can manage their boundaries better than we can. The county council of Galway has invested in towns near and far Galway city. Cork likewise.

Limerick county council are more responsible for this imbalance than the city council
    wow, you are suffering from an ego trip. Temper temper.

People will not pay for higher price when the price is cheaper elsewhere, as soon as the boundaries move so do shopping centres for cheaper locations, because they know people will come there to shop for cheaper products.

The City screwed themselves with high rates, The highest in the country!! Shops leave because they have to pass that to the customers. Customers will shop for value and price and ease of access, all of which the city screwed themselves with. If the city goes under it because they deserve it for screwing the people.

I know many people in both cork and Galway complaining about bad services, look at Gort it a disaster zone. Buttervent after years of under investment.

It interesting you mention 7,000 to try to prove your point, especially the CSO in 2006 says that NCW has 6,754. Yet NCW town border is way too small,
    http://www.newcastlewest.org/site/media/POPULATION_COUNT_FINAL.pdf
    http://www.towns-ireland.com/ NCW came in 31th in the tidiest town. The Largest Town in County Limerick.

Yet Limerick City is in the category of Litter Blackspots. It shows that the people there do not care about keeping their city clean. If they do not care about keeping it clean why would shopkeeper be based there? especially when they know that customers will go to cleaner places.

The major problem with Limerick county is that the population is more evenly distributed. Bit by bit they are improving services to the people and it is noticeable.

http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:6innOg_kRgkJ:www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/DA380B7D-099A-4A98-A16C-F016DD9F4DFD/0/ISSUESPAPERBQREVISED4.pdf+CSO+%22newcastle+west%22+population&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

The City council screwed themselves. They do not deserve a boundary extension. By the Way I live in the County not City and I Do not want to live there. If the boundary move without my permission will the city council reimburse me for higher insurance or higher cost of products or moving costs? I bet No. The City have screwed me for years with high cost and poor parking and parking costs and delays in getting in and out. I do not want it taking over my home too and screw me there.

Limerick city should be under one authority, the reason why the city council is expensive is because it is cash strapped, since the boundary has not been exstended since the 50S. The city is losing out to the urban sprawl and thats where the money is going, and bear inind that urban sprawl is not limerick county, but Limerick city.

Insurance and cost would come down if the city was extended in a proper fashion.

If this contiues, all of limerick will die. Yuo cannot have a body withouts its heart or centre. You can all sing and dance. But if this boundary extensino doesnt go ahead your all screwed. The retailers and investors will not move to Limerick they will move to Galway or Cork.

It seems people here dont actually understand how the economy works in a city.:rolleyes:

limklad wrote: »
    wow, you are suffering from an ego trip. Temper temper.

People will not pay for higher price when the price is cheaper elsewhere, as soon as the boundaries move so do shopping centres for cheaper locations, because they know people will come there to shop for cheaper products.

The City screwed themselves with high rates, The highest in the country!! Shops leave because they have to pass that to the customers. Customers will shop for value and price and ease of access, all of which the city screwed themselves with. If the city goes under it because they deserve it for screwing the people.

I know many people in both cork and Galway complaining about bad services, look at Gort it a disaster zone. Buttervent after years of under investment.

It interesting you mention 7,000 to try to prove your point, especially the CSO in 2006 says that NCW has 6,754. Yet NCW town border is way too small,
    http://www.newcastlewest.org/site/media/POPULATION_COUNT_FINAL.pdf
    http://www.towns-ireland.com/ NCW came in 31th in the tidiest town. The Largest Town in County Limerick.

Yet Limerick City is in the category of Litter Blackspots. It shows that the people there do not care about keeping their city clean. If they do not care about keeping it clean why would shopkeeper be based there? especially when they know that customers will go to cleaner places.

The major problem with Limerick county is that the population is more evenly distributed. Bit by bit they are improving services to the people and it is noticeable.

http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:6innOg_kRgkJ:www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/DA380B7D-099A-4A98-A16C-F016DD9F4DFD/0/ISSUESPAPERBQREVISED4.pdf+CSO+%22newcastle+west%22+population&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

The City council screwed themselves. They do not deserve a boundary extension. By the Way I live in the County not City and I Do not want to live there. If the boundary move without my permission will the city council reimburse me for higher insurance or higher cost of products or moving costs? I bet No. The City have screwed me for years with high cost and poor parking and parking costs and delays in getting in and out. I do not want it taking over my home too and screw me there.

Are you working for Limerick county council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

This thread shows parish pump politics and gombeenism still rule Ireland.

Again, the question shouldn't be what's best for your street, but what's best for the entire region. By making the region the best it can be, your own street should improve anyhow.

Limerick city loses out on investment, EU funds etc, because it's classed as a city of 50,000 or so people, instead of the 90,000 or so that it really is. Limerick city's rates are high because they are forced to draw from an artifically low base. Limerick city's traffic is bad, in part, because there are three authorities running it badly. There should be one overall authority running Limerick's urban area.

I have no real interest in seeing Limerick take over parts of Clare, considering the very poor job Ennis has done in maintaining them, all we'd get is more expense, bad roads and some crap hurlers. However, Castletroy and Raheen are part of Limerick city and the gombeenism that they are part of the county has to be ended.

I'm disappointed to see the responses on this thread because I'm saddened so many people continue to approach a big problem with a small mind.

Give me back the Kingdom of Thomond anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Limerick city should be under one authority

I think you will find Limerick City is under one authority
    If this contiues, all of limerick will die. Yuo cannot have a body withouts its heart or centre. You can all sing and dance. But if this boundary extensino doesnt go ahead your all screwed. The retailers and investors will not move to Limerick they will move to Galway or Cork.

That is complete and utter bull. The retailers and investors moved to Limerick county - even Mark and Sparks didnt want to move into the city. They wanted to move to the county, that is some signifcant investment if you ask me
    Limerick city's traffic is bad, in part, because there are three authorities running it badly.

You are blaming the city's traffic problems on County council and Clare CC?? As far as I am aware they dont run the city.
    However, Castletroy and Raheen are part of Limerick city and the gombeenism that they are part of the county has to be ended.

Not sure about Castletroy being part of the city but Raheen isnt. Dooradoyle is closer to the city than Raheen and that isnt part of the city either. There is tons of land left for development within the city boundary, why dont city council reduce their rates and try and attract investment? Provide better shopping facilities/car parking incentives or even free parking.

I suspect a lot of Limerick country councillors are on here, because what I'm seeing is utterly shocking.:rolleyes:

Limerick city has a population of 100,000 yet its officially has 50.000. Limerick is losing out as a hole and its becoming a hole since all money is been sucked out of the city into the suburbs. if they city collapse, the whole city including the suburbs will collapse also. The only reason why Limerick suburbs is doing well is because the county council has turned into a monopoloy game to attract people to develop it at the expense and loss to the city.

This division is corrupt, absurd and just pure greed. This is not acceptable.

Mc Love wrote: »

That is complete and utter bull. The retailers and investors moved to Limerick county - even Mark and Sparks didnt want to move into the city. They wanted to move to the county, that is some signifcant investment if you ask me

You are blaming the city's traffic problems on County council and Clare CC?? As far as I am aware they dont run the city.

Not sure about Castletroy being part of the city but Raheen isnt. Dooradoyle is closer to the city than Raheen and that isnt part of the city either. There is tons of land left for development within the city boundary, why dont city council reduce their rates and try and attract investment? Provide better shopping facilities/car parking incentives or even free parking.

If you were dropped from space in Limerick city, where would you honestly say the city ends? Imo, beyond UL and beyond Raheen.

It's actually slightly worrying that people don't tie in the decline of Limerick city with the rise in unemployment in the entire midwest, the decline in IDA investment in the entire midwest, etc. If Limerick city continues to slump, Limerick county will not be far behind, and neither will North Tipp and Clare. The situation actually is that serious.

Btw, re-read my post re the traffic.

I suspect a lot of Limerick country councillors are on here, because what I'm seeing is utterly shocking.:rolleyes:

Limerick city has a population of 100,000 yet its officially has 50.000. Limerick is losing out as a hole and its becoming a hole since all money is been sucked out of the city into the suburbs. if they city collapse, the whole city including the suburbs will collapse also. The only reason why Limerick suburbs is doing well is because the county council has turned into a monopoloy game to attract people to develop it at the expense and loss to the city.

This division is corrupt, absurd and just pure greed. This is not acceptable.

Go back to bed and when you wake up come back and post something worth reading.

Limerick city only has 50,000 not 100,000 as you suggest for population.

Why will the suburbs collapse if the City does???

Something should be done but if the City cant sort itself out why would people from the county line closest to the city let that shambles control the suburbs? I wouldnt and like many people that have posted that live in the county/suburbs wouldnt either

Go back to bed and when you wake up come back and post something worth reading.

Limerick city only has 50,000 not 100,000 as you suggest for population.

Why will the suburbs collapse if the City does???

Something should be done but if the City cant sort itself out why would people from the county line closest to the city let that shambles control the suburbs? I wouldnt and like many people that have posted that live in the county/suburbs wouldnt either

Ok, let's look at it differently, why is there two separate local authorities for what is a relatively small county (geographically)? Why not disband both councils and have one authority running the entire area?

The boundary that was fixed in the 1950's is completely outdated now, you do realise that cities expand and grow over time? Or, do you have a better reason why the city should end at the parkway and not by UL?

Small time parochialism needs to be set aside here.

Why doesnt the city use part of the city which are yet to be developed or develop existing sites that are in ruin and disrepair?

Limerick has two bodies to run the county and city. I know its not exactly the best comparison but look at all the dublin councils/corporations?! Dublin City Corp completely messed up during the recent bad weather spells while the county corporations (multiple bodies) seemed to work without much mishap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

I know its not exactlythe best comparison but look at all the dublin councils/corporations?! Dublin City Corp completely messed up during the recent bad weather spells while the county corporations (multiple bodies) seemed to work without much mishap
    No, it's not the best comparison. In fact Dublin is getting an elected mayor this year who will have executive authority across the local authority boundaries introduced in the 1980s precisely for the same reasons that planners advocate a unitary authority for Limerick. The Balkanisation of the capital has resulted in a lack of joined up thinking which has manifested itself in sprawl and unnecessary duplication of services.

I have no real interest in seeing Limerick take over parts of Clare, considering the very poor job Ennis has done in maintaining them, all we'd get is more expense, bad roads and some crap hurlers.

I am proud of living in my County, Clare. I will not apologise for that just because you accuse us of 'gombeenism'. I don't want to live in Limerick City or County. Simple as that.

Limerick can sort out their own problems. The City Council screwed the midwest long term by allowing ghettos to develop which lead to appalling crime rates, which in turn destroyed tourism for Limerick City. Now they are throwing their problems into Clare by rehousing those responsible for high crime rates in our County. They are still intent on crippling tourism it would seem.

Your smart comment regarding our hurlers goes to show the only gombeenism around here is in your own attitude and post.

Crap hurlers? Isnt Limerick the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

none of dooradoyle/ballycummun/raheen is in the city boundary, u can see the big red sign stating the city boundary after the overpass heading into town, same with castletroy, the city boundary is half way up that parkway valley development near the parkway, corbally im not familier with but i remember passing a couple of county clare boundaries before! so screwed up!

Advertisement