Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary issue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sosulio

Town Total population, Population within boundary, Population of suburbs
    Limerick City 90,757 52,539 38,218
    Galway City 72,729 72,414 315

Looking at these CSO figures we need to get Casltetroy and Raheen into the city and quit playing 2nd fiddle to Galway on paper as regards funding etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

sosulio wrote: »
    Town Total population, Population within boundary, Population of suburbs
    Limerick City 90,757 52,539 38,218
    Galway City 72,729 72,414 315

Looking at these CSO figures we need to get Casltetroy and Raheen into the city and quit playing 2nd fiddle to Galway on paper as regards funding etc...

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    link?

he said it was from the cso (central statistics office)

http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Amended%20census2006_%20Volume%201%20Pop%20Classified%20by%20Area.pdf

page 44

the overall figure doesnt include areas like coonagh, anacotty, the extended areas of ballycummin in mungret, areas spilled over into clare like parts of corbally, meelick, shannon banks, ardnacrusha etc which would give it a proper greater urban population, if you add an extra 4 years onto that with immigration etc 100,000 would deffinately be surpassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The city council cannot run what they are currently in charge of without making a mess of it, so why would they be expected to be able to manage a larger area?

They would be better off trying to sort out the current issues within the city limits, before trying to expand further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Kess73 wrote: »
    The city council cannot run what they are currently in charge of without making a mess of it, so why would they be expected to be able to manage a larger area?

They would be better off trying to sort out the current issues within the city limits, before trying to expand further.

what exactly are the City Council doing badly? Other than the crime issue, which is the fault of the national government (as is unemployment and social disadvantage) the City has the same standards as the county except maybe in libraries. In fact, the Fire Brigade which operates across the city and suburbs is run by the City Council. Call me old fashioned but the ability to put out a fire is a basic responsibility of a local authority and relying on a fire engine to get to Raheen from Askeaton or Rathkeale which would be the alternative would not be feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

The city/county debate is ridiculous.The point is that in a county with approx 150,000 people can we really afford two local authorities.The waste of taxpayers and ratepayers money is scandalous,not to mention petty rivalries and people working at cross purposes.You can be sure that councillors from both city and county will co-operate on only one issue,that is to ensure both areas are kept seperate to keep themselves in handy jobs at the expense of the very people debating here about boundary extensions.

rubensni wrote: »
    what exactly are the City Council doing badly? Other than the crime issue, which is the fault of the national government (as is unemployment and social disadvantage) the City has the same standards as the county except maybe in libraries. In fact, the Fire Brigade which operates across the city and suburbs is run by the City Council. Call me old fashioned but the ability to put out a fire is a basic responsibility of a local authority and relying on a fire engine to get to Raheen from Askeaton or Rathkeale which would be the alternative would not be feasible.

What are they doing badly?

Well they don't seem to be doing much by way of maintaining business in the city centre, let alone attracting new ones in. It seems that each week there is at least one shop closing, and the comments are always the same by the owners with regards the city council.

allimac wrote: »
    The city/county debate is ridiculous.The point is that in a county with approx 150,000 people can we really afford two local authorities.The waste of taxpayers and ratepayers money is scandalous,not to mention petty rivalries and people working at cross purposes.You can be sure that councillors from both city and county will co-operate on only one issue,that is to ensure both areas are kept seperate to keep themselves in handy jobs at the expense of the very people debating here about boundary extensions.

id say its close to 190.000 by now

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

that is to say if your including all city and county limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Well they don't seem to be doing much by way of maintaining business in the city centre, let alone attracting new ones in. It seems that each week there is at least one shop closing, and the comments are always the same by the owners with regards the city council.
    I think you're being unduly harsh, and most people in business I speak with blame the Revenue and banks for their immediate problems and not the City Council, who of course attract criticism but were starting to get their act together. Rates were cut in recent years and after neglecting retailers for many years the council was looking to make the city a good place to do business again with more pedestrian streets and fresh tar.
    The big plan was the Opera centre which was intended to revivalise the centre of the city, and would have done so but for the Anglo disaster. One only has to look to the iconic Victoria Square centre in Belfast, or the regeneration of Liverpool to see the attraction of putting public land back into private hands, thus allowing private security to move on loiterers and bar known shoplifters. NAMA may complete this, but that is the great unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

This divisional local stoneage mindset has to stop now.

This thread has becoming embarrassing, I'm embarrassed to be from this region. Your all the blame as to why Limerick is now Irelands 4th city. The heart of the Midwest is now in dangerous grounds. The city populous cannot sustain on a boundary that is now 60 years old. There is no hope in the Opera centre and any further investement if you keep putting our city second. If the heart dies, so will the rest of the Midwest. if your heart dies, so does your body. This is the fact you all need to bloody wake up too. The greedy county coucilors are sucking the life out of this city. It's absurd. The city council brought the rates down a few years ago in desparate measures to bring investement into the city despite been so cashstrapped and having vampires within the county council making it impossible for the city to grow and prosper with heavy competition and growth in the suburbs. The only thing that has given this city a boost was private investors who had some pride, self innovation and seen the great potential this city had and still has. There was little investement from you, this government, our county council and now with the boundary of Limerick been outdate and showing false figures of the city population. This reckless gobeenism is the reason why there is never any coporation in this region. Our local TDs do nothing to get this city out of this mess. It's getting now crisis point in my view.

It is your fault this city is losing out.
    It is your fault this city has a crime rate.
    It is your fault you have two councils within the midwest fighting over each other.
    It is your fault, Galway gets third city status funding.
    It is your fault that there is high insurance.

You keep passing the blame and ignoring the issue, but things are going to get very bad in this city.

And I will laugh at you all. I'm waiting for this day. Because everytime I come to this thread, I try do some good and spread some awareness to what this city needs right now. I'm actually posting this as to why the **** should I care about this city when I cant ****ing even see any respect for this city by the people who live in it.

Your all so ****ing focused on car insurance, what is the mindset of Irish people coming too?. It's a complete joke. This thread makes me want to vomit. To the poster who says hes proud to be from Clare and hates Limerick get a life will you. If you love Clare so much then don't shop,eat, work in this city. But I bet you do . So stop this stoneage primiative crap. This city is our administrative capital of the midwest. Our own government has neglected it, allowed bad planning and bad decisions lead to a growing crime problem and now not only that, but they allow the media to air it all over the country rather than solving the problem. BTW I'm from Tipperary and I have more respect for the city than the people who live in it as far as I can see.

This is becoming an infection that is getting out of control.

• Advertisement

How can they when you have 60% of the city competeing with the city centre for business. Mind you it's still one city. So how can Limerick actually attract inward investement to par against Cork or Galway. and you have one city that can't even work as one city.:rolleyes:

Are you a county counciilor as well?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mysterious you should run for Taoiseach with the speech! :D

Great post - provided me with great entertainment

mysterious wrote: »
    How can they when you have 60% of the city competeing with the city centre for business. Mind you it's still one city. So how can Limerick actually attract inward investement to par against Cork or Galway. and you have one city that can't even work as one city.:rolleyes:

Are you a county counciilor as well?:rolleyes:

60% of the city competing with the city centre?

:D:D

I love your posts, they are the best bits of comedy I have seen since Tom Cruise gave his last nutball speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I love your posts, they are the best bits of comedy I have seen since Tom Cruise gave his last nutball speech.

Having a look back though his previous posts I am pretty sure you are spot on the mark.

There isnt enough tinfoil in the world.

60% of the city competing with the city centre?

:D:D

I'm pretty clear in my post and stance on this issue, maybe you need to take matter up and face reality and stop talking about nuts and balls;)

Don't be trying to rub me up the wrong way.

I'm pretty clear in my post and stance on this issue, maybe you need to take matter up and face reality and stop talking about nuts and balls;)

Don't be trying to rub me up the wrong way.

Maybe you should take your spin and use it on the staff at Benetton on Sarsfield street who are all being let go in the next two weeks, as yet another town centre retail unit is about to become vacant. Benetton have been in the town centre for 20 odd years, but in two weeks time they will become yet another established retailer getting out of the town centre, whilst the city council sits back and turns a blind eye to the rapidly growing number of empty units.

Funny how a stroll down the main streets of Dublin, Cork, and Galway does not reveal a similar percentage of vacant units right at the centre of each city.

I guess Sarsfield street is well on it's way to joining Patrick street/Rutland street in being a street filled with empty units.

But it is ok as the City council went on record two days ago saying that they have had a huge success in using the empty units in the centre and that they had used the Limerick Creative scheme to make the fronts of the empty units look great.

A drive up Rutland street etc shows that this is simply not true and those units still are awaiting the so called success that the council claimed has already happened.

I dont think you have a leg to stand on mysterious - just my opinion

ok keeping the fighting aside for now cos its kinda getting out of control..does anyone know if there is a deadline for whenever john gormley is to give limerick this 'regional' boundary thingy?

Probably the tenth of never. Maybe the mods can add a poll here and let us decide. Could be interesting to see the results

Maybe you should take your spin and use it on the staff at Benetton on Sarsfield street who are all being let go in the next two weeks, as yet another town centre retail unit is about to become vacant. Benetton have been in the town centre for 20 odd years, but in two weeks time they will become yet another established retailer getting out of the town centre, whilst the city council sits back and turns a blind eye to the rapidly growing number of empty units.

Funny how a stroll down the main streets of Dublin, Cork, and Galway does not reveal a similar percentage of vacant units right at the centre of each city.

I guess Sarsfield street is well on it's way to joining Patrick street/Rutland street in being a street filled with empty units.

But it is ok as the City council went on record two days ago saying that they have had a huge success in using the empty units in the centre and that they had used the Limerick Creative scheme to make the fronts of the empty units look great.

A drive up Rutland street etc shows that this is simply not true and those units still are awaiting the so called success that the council claimed has already happened.

You watch to much Mission impossible movies:D.

You don't see that Limerick has a boundary that is 50percent smaller than its actual city size. The county council are using are trying to build as much development as they can around the city to create a doughnut effect to suck the life out of the city. Since Limerick city is cash strapped and cant compete with its suburbs it has no choice but to keep its rates up highe. As a result Limerick city council continues to decline and more city sprawl continues.

You work for the county council?

• Advertisement

They should encourage business by dropping its rates and cut funding for non essential services. Its the only eay to entice business back into the city.

And mysterious, how is it, that you seem to think that everyone that has the opposite opinion to you is working for the county council?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

We are over-represented by under-qualified numpties. There should be no Limerick County council, nor Clare, nor North-Tipp. There should be a MidWest Regional Council. One adminstrative body to govern the MidWest. As things stand we have no critical mass in this area. We have dogfights over who gets to piss on which lampost, meanwhile the area bleeds jobs and is bypassed by Galway and completely blown out of the water by Cork.

But that's ok, because at least we have all those lovely council slots to be filled by aspiring weak-bladdered local politicos. They're doing just fine thanks very much.

Their solution is to just throw more lamposts at the problem - and sure in time, won't that mean a chance of more dogs being needed to piss on them?

You couldn't make it up.

Not without the complicity or apathy of the electorate.

Mc Love wrote: »
    They should encourage business by dropping its rates and cut funding for non essential services. Its the only eay to entice business back into the city.

And mysterious, how is it, that you seem to think that everyone that has the opposite opinion to you is working for the county council?

They cant when you have Limerick city in three councils, are you completely blind or thick?

Limerick city did bring rates down already, but they don't have the money or power to compete against its own city.

Stop with the BS please. We could have less of this on this thread. Thanks.

Mc Love wrote: »

Welll everyone isn't against it, actually more people are for it. When they are given the full story. The problem exist because of the greed and corruption of the councillors not willing to communicate and invest in the interest of the city. They are more interested in taking whats left in the city and turn their proifits at the expense of other parts of the city at loss.

This is not acceptable and should never be allowed.

The parts of County Clare will still be apart of Clare, you can still be a Clareman and you can still play hurling for Clare. But the urban area that extends into Clare for example will be run by the city as it's in the city. Same goes for Limerick county council.

The city needs to be run as one city. Not only that point but the midwest needs to unite and compete with other regions to keep its fair share in the economy not sit on the back bench and fight amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tone it down, mysterious. Don't be calling other posters blind or thick, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They cant when you have Limerick city in three councils, are you completely blind or thick?

Limerick city did bring rates down already, but they don't have the money or power to compete against its own city.

Stop with the BS please. We could have less of this on this thread. Thanks.

Banned for 7 Days

EDIT. I see Mr. E has already addresed this.

I hope this thread gots on the radio, and shows the actual reality and joke this is of how the people of Limerick are treating this city's future.

To be quite frank, as someone who a non native from this area. many of you make me feel ashamed to have given any of my time to give my feedback, intentions and awareness to this board.

And the end result of this therad proves everything.

Good luck. I'm never giving the time of day to this city on this topic. Its really is a shame, and i'm not surprised Limerick is now stuck in a crisis dealing with crimes and all sorts of problems now, one has to look at this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

To be honest Mysterious your attitude will never win anyone over, it put me on the defense straight away.
    My personal opinion as a county person who has also lived for over 10 yrs in both the city centre and suburbs, is that there should be one regional council, with local area offices and representatives, who ultimately sit on the one board. This way every area has representation, but budgets are shared, housing lists are amalgamated, and you don't have situations like the bus corridors finishing at the boundary. I think we need to do something like this for a number of reasons, but mainly because at the moment the amount of duplication is ridiculous, there are way too many chiefs between both councils and also, a regional authority would have a lot more clout when it comes to going up against areas like Dublin and Cork for resources.
    I see this as the way forward yet reading your posts Mysterious, my first instinct was to jump to the defense of my county. You are trying to bully people into your way of thinking, and when people don't agree with you, you insult them. You will never win people over to your way of thinking like this, if anything you will push them in the opposite direction.
    This is exactly the same as the way the City Council work and instead of highlighting the advantages of a united council they come off looking like a bunch of ill managed, poor mouth money grabbers.

Why did you thank the above post mysterious when cyberspi has pretty much said in the last paragraph summed up what we have saying about you and the city council in this whole thread
    I see this as the way forward yet reading your posts Mysterious, my first instinct was to jump to the defense of my county. You are trying to bully people into your way of thinking, and when people don't agree with you, you insult them. You will never win people over to your way of thinking like this, if anything you will push them in the opposite direction.
    This is exactly the same as the way the City Council work and instead of highlighting the advantages of a united council they come off looking like a bunch of ill managed, poor mouth money grabbers

• Advertisement

To Mr.EDIT: Billy, Kessy and Mc Love.

This isn't about me, so stop making it personal about towards me, It's childish and not the topic.

I'm not spilit for either coucil. Please go and read my thread and try understand the points I've already made. This city should not be divided and governed by three councils. This has to stop. End of.

I'm saying this. And it's quite Simple.

My opinion has nothing to do with the city councils opinion. My opinion has everything got to do with the point of communication, development, unity and progress. I see this not happening here in this city. I don't tolerate or accept this absurd corruption going on, and the city council is not the blame for it, it is infact majorly down to the county coucil sponging off the city and leaving the rest of the county underdeveloped.

It was me who said a few years ago Limerick county council should invest in NCW. County limerick is in an appalling state in all areas of the coucil, and this is down to the council sponging of the city suburbs.

Advertisement