Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary issue.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Mysterious, while your making some good points, there is one major flaw in your argument and that's your presumption that the majority of people living outside the boundaries are relying on the city to live and work.

This is simply not true, as a matter of fact Limerick is just a nuisance that is in the way for people traveling forced to travel through it, and that goes for alot of workers. Think about the amount of Industrial Estates not in the city and that proves it. Whether it be from corbally to Raheen Ind. Estate, or Castletroy to Shannon, or Coonagh to Castletroy Ind.estate.

Alot of people on the raheen side can rely on the Crescent for food, free parking, clothes, banks, and even jobs. There is a shift of power and your not liking it.
    Limerick needs to be more competitive if it wants to survive. Extending the boundaries is simply punishing people that have nothing to do with Limerick city.(although you cant seem to accept that there are alot of people that dont use the city)

We could take your very same argument and turn it around, e.g. Westbury and Shannonbanks could do with better services , I think we should extent the county boundary more into the city so we can boost its population, and get better funding and services.

The sprawl may have been as a result of Limerick City, but if the City cant handle the competition then maybe we may all have to accept the change in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

mysterious wrote: »
    To Mr.E.

This isn't about me, so stop making it personal about towards me, It's childish and not the topic.

I'm all for open debate, mysterious. I encourage it - its what boards is all about. However, when reported posts are flying around saying "He called me this" and "She called me that", it means we (the mods) have to step in and issue warnings. It takes away from the debate.

To everyone: Keep it civil and don't resort to namecalling. This is a great discussion and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

This divisional local stoneage mindset has to stop now.

This thread has becoming embarrassing, I'm embarrassed to be from this region.
    Why don't you move to cork or Galway? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

wylo wrote: »
    Mysterious, while your making some good points, there is one major flaw in your argument and that's your presumption that the majority of people living outside the boundaries are relying on the city to live and work.

This is simply not true, as a matter of fact Limerick is just a nuisance that is in the way for people traveling forced to travel through it, and that goes for alot of workers. Think about the amount of Industrial Estates not in the city and that proves it. Whether it be from corbally to Raheen Ind. Estate, or Castletroy to Shannon, or Coonagh to Castletroy Ind.estate.

Yep exactly, I live in the county and work in the county, so do a lot of people I know. Even people (relations of mine) that live in the city rely on the county for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

rubensni wrote: »
    what exactly are the City Council doing badly? Other than the crime issue, which is the fault of the national government (as is unemployment and social disadvantage) the City has the same standards as the county except maybe in libraries.
    Limerick Crime is not just a National Government issue. They now have to tidy up the mess for which the Council let slide/ignoring. It is now everybody issue including the ordinary Dubliners. By leaving city estates go to ruin over decades is the city Council responsibility and therefore the blame for the problems for letting it get out of hand. Poor City Planning with poor facilities and poor management of looking after Housing estates and dealing with these issues are at the hands of the City Council. The City Council were at the forefront with dealing with these estates. For Years residence in these estates were fighting for basic communities facilities and it took them a long time to provide them, but the damage was done and therefore too late.

Now look at estates around the city. Moyross, Southhill, carew park, St. Mary Park, All in the City. Yet Look at Castletroy, Raheen, Dooradoyle which are within the County yet do not have the problems until recent times when troublesome families are exported or move into these estates from the City now that we have regeneration scheme going it is going to be worst, so many troublesome families are now been exported into surrounding County areas even as far as Cork near Banteer, where I am getting reports from Mallow/Kanturk Gardai calling into village where they previously only say once in a blue moon. All because the HSE housed a troublesome family there.
    rubensni wrote: »
    In fact, the Fire Brigade which operates across the city and suburbs is run by the City Council. Call me old fashioned but the ability to put out a fire is a basic responsibility of a local authority and relying on a fire engine to get to Raheen from Askeaton or Rathkeale which would be the alternative would not be feasible.
    Don't forget Cappamore Fire Bridage. I would prefer a County Fire Brigade stationed in Raheen Industrial Estate or in Castletroy as well as having a Garda station based in both Dooradoyle and Castletroy.

• Advertisement

Are you working for Limerick county council?
    No, I do not need to, maybe I should. As a Business person, I do not want to pay the country highest Rates and have poor and less footfall of customers that is occurring in the city for a long time now. The Business community want to be competitive, not have a bigger bill to deal with in a deplorable economy. Limerick County council is not perfect, but a hell of alot better that the city. After seeing and reading comments from the City Council officials, I will be at the forefront at the campaign to prevent the city from taking control.
    Mayor Kevin Kiely has revealed that a strategy is due out in the coming weeks which would effectively rule out any more out-of-town development

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Co...ans.5778422.jp

We want our customers to be able to come and leave easily without getting logjam with traffic and having to waste time while looking for paid parking only to be watching their watches for when the time is up. You loose the impulse and casual shoppers otherwise. I want customers to have convenience of travel, easy access and goods easily available to them.
    I have observe the city planners traffic issues for a long time now I do not believe that the traffic problems will be solved after the Tunnel opens.

mysterious, This is something you have no idea of.

It is your fault this city is losing out.
    It is your fault this city has a crime rate.
    It is your fault you have two councils within the midwest fighting over each other.
    It is your fault, Galway gets third city status funding.
    It is your fault that there is high insurance.
    Yes the Blame lands in the City Council Lap. Passing the Blame for your mess and claiming it is the National Government is lame.
    They have poor planning and screwing the people, so NO to City Expansions until they can prove they can deal with the problems they have already.

The problem with City Expansion is that there is no vote for the people and business people who will be effected by the boundaries changes do not have a vote on the matter. If there was then the City would Fail with their current behaviour.

When you running for council LimkLad?

Mc Love wrote: »
    When you running for council LimkLad?
    I missed the last council elections last year. It seems by Mysterious comments s/he a member of the City council or working for the council and blaming everybody for the problems they allow or created themselves. Instead Mysterious wants to expand the boundaries into areas where the city will stave developments in favour for the city centre, just like they are doing to Coonagh after the recent expansions. s/he rant about the 60 year old boundary commets was false. Coonagh was recently was part of Co. Limerick until Minster Gormley allow the City to expand. So Another white lie by the Politician Mysterious in deception about facts about the real reasons why Limerick City is Failing and while surrounding counties have mange the populations and areas surrounding the city just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Again, this thread shows Limerick is falling behind cork and galway. Look at the level of investment Cork and Galway get compared to the Limerick region? Look at the number of IDA jobs, state investment etc. Limerick loses out on this because of a fictional border. the small minded attitudes on this thread actually surprise me. Beginning to understand why the Limerick forum is the most negative of all the regional forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Limerick is losing out because of the City Council.
    Tom Mackey is an absolutely disgraceful city manager and I can't for the life of me understand why this muppet is still the CM after the Uniform Construction fiasco..hell this idiot cost us €50million alone just because they got their plans wrong.
    And you want these people to take over the suburbs...I wouldn't trust them with William Street let along the entire city.
    I was for the boundary expansion but after seeing the councils latest joke of removing scumbags from the City and sending them out to satellite towns which by the way are all turning into mini southhills no bloody way am I for it now.
    Fire the complete City Council...bring in the County council board and let them run the city. Guaranteed they'd do it better than the current crop of monkeys.

Sack the city council, and have the County council run the one amalgated body.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Sack the city council, and have the County council run the one amalgated body.
    Seems like the fairest solution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

No Limerick city should run Limerick city. The existing outdated council would dissapear as its current format and operation if the whole city was under one authority. I'd like to see Limerick county council start focusing on its county in which it has been ignoring since the beginning of both councils.

I see Limerick county and city as one anyway. There is no real border. I just want the city united in its real form. Every city grows and the boundary should also be extended in the same fashion. No city can survive proplerly if its city surpasses its boundary. It just doesnt function properly as a city. This is the reason that Limerick city council is not run well. For example like every city,all facilities exist in the city. Limerick has almost have of its infrastructure, social activities, Hospitals and even its university outside its city. Its just iname and doesn't make any sense.

Limerick county is not doing good, its one of the only counties in Ireland that doesnt even have a town over 6000. It has no other town in the county over 4000.... Its roads are still awful outside the Limerick suburbs. The same kind of chaotic planning in the Limerick suburbs even exist in NCW. All new houses, but no proper infastructure.

Why because Limerick county council are not interested in the county, they are interested in creating incoherent sprawl as much as possible on the city boundary and turn it into a disney land craze for developers. This then puts extra pressure on the existing city centre to compete with.

Limerick city should be ruled by one authority and this means that Limerick city is united and the main heartbeat of the county. Right now its a broken heart, and a broken heart, will leave to heart failure.

Greed from the county council is up.:) Face your **** and stop this conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

zuroph wrote: »
    Seems like the fairest solution!

No its not easy as that, NO county should run a city.Thats backwards planning. If that were the case, then we should let Europe run Ireland, or let Cork run Limerick county, while Limerick county run the city.

Let the city, run the city, and the county run the county.

Thats simple and straightforward, I know the simplicity and basic cop on doesnt want to be heard, because I'm sure there is very greedy Limerick county councilors on here with a big dirty agenda to keep there goldmines around Limerick city and ensuring the city council is underbounded and at the mercy of it.

No mercy anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

on a recent visit to the city via the dock road,
    the first thing that met my eye was rubbish all along the sidewalks, 1st impressions etc,
    visit any european city and you can see cleaners both male and female working 24/7. this has two benifets the godamm place is clean plus you have people working earning money which they usually spend a large chunk of. they pay tax etc here the authoritys prefer to have people exist on welfare.
    also nothing but posters advertising various events. these should be removed the events organisers fined heavily and have official boards where people pay to advertise their events.
    traffic is a mess.
    it looks like the cops are a joke. no powers. they are handcuffed not the criminals. there answer to crime seems to be export it to another division.
    decor is poor. buisness and property owners should have an incintive to decorate not be penalised for trying to exist.
    listing on the radio the present mayor and his predecessor are jokes
    you have a cabinet minister in your city who seems to have no interest in job creation he just seems to say yes boss. where i spent my formative years they would be railroaded out of town.
    you have the head of an investigation into job creation saying the people that appointed them are giving them the runaround.
    you have an international ? airport on your doorstep which is being strangled slowley but surely.
    the people that died for this country would never have if they could visulise the future county and country that they died for.
    i can say more if people wish so before any one posts an answer (mysterious) in english lit a famous quote is the truth is often bitter.

No its not easy as that, NO county should run a city.Thats backwards planning. If that were the case, then we should let Europe run Ireland, or let Cork run Limerick county, while Limerick county run the city.

Let the city, run the city, and the county run the county.

Thats simple and straightforward, I know the simplicity and basic cop on doesnt want to be heard, because I'm sure there is very greedy Limerick county councilors on here with a big dirty agenda to keep there goldmines around Limerick city and ensuring the city council is underbounded and at the mercy of it.

No mercy anymore.
    In Limerick CC people are elected from the various areas and represent their areas. If they took the city in, the same people could get elected for the city, but with a common platform to discuss policy on, everything would work smoother. Its not a case of the lads from the county running the whole show and ignoring the city.

I'd like to see Limerick county council start focusing on its county in which it has been ignoring since the beginning of both councils.

Didnt Limklad prove otherwise on the county limerick forum?
    I see Limerick county and city as one anyway. There is no real border.

Very true - Limerick City is in the County of Limerick
    I just want the city united in its real form. Every city grows and the boundary should also be extended in the same fashion. No city can survive proplerly if its city surpasses its boundary. It just doesnt function properly as a city. This is the reason that Limerick city council is not run well. For example like every city,all facilities exist in the city. Limerick has almost have of its infrastructure, social activities, Hospitals and even its university outside its city. Its just iname and doesn't make any sense.

So you are blaming the reason that the city council is not run well on the boundary issue??
    Limerick county is not doing good, its one of the only counties in Ireland that doesnt even have a town over 6000. It has no other town in the county over 4000.... Its roads are still awful outside the Limerick suburbs. The same kind of chaotic planning in the Limerick suburbs even exist in NCW. All new houses, but no proper infastructure.

The roads are awful everywhere!! What infrastructure are you talking about?
    Why because Limerick county council are not interested in the county, they are interested in creating incoherent sprawl as much as possible on the city boundary and turn it into a disney land craze for developers. This then puts extra pressure on the existing city centre to compete with.

I think Limklad as i said already proved you are wrong on this. Yet you want Limerick City council to run the county, who if I am not mistaken have made the same mistake as you stated above...how many incoherent sprawls have the city co, created in the city??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

what has the city fathers done during the boom to improve the place, considering that cruises street was up and running before the boom (ithink)
    the waterfront could have been a focal point
    angelas ashes could have been milked more
    richard harris of world wide renown
    shannon tourism spent a fortune subsidising events they cherry picked which were up and running
    take thomond park and the clarion out of the equasion and the city has nothing to show for the boom, plus they are both private enterprises

Advertisement