Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic for the people

Options
  • 28-01-2010 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

OK not the latest, hippest band- just REM (ask your granddad, kids. :D )

Almost forgot how good this album is until i listened to it again there.
    Classic- is there a duff track on it?- Drive, Man on the moon, Nightswimming, Sweetness follows, Try not to breathe, Find the River...

Do you have a favourite REM album?
    And what are they doing now- haven't heard much from them in a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Murmur or New Adventures in Hi-Fi get my vote, the latter probably not being an obvious choice for most.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Fables of The Reconstruction would probably be my favourite, though I pretty much love all of their albums with the exception of Around The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Murmur or New Adventures in Hi-Fi get my vote, the latter probably not being an obvious choice for most.

not for me - I've never cared much for NAIHF. Murmur is immense though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Weird - I was just discussing this album with someone last night. I only really liked REM briefly back in 1991 when they released Out of Time - some good songs on that. I find most of their stuff mediocre, bar the occasional great track. And I adore Michael Stipe's collaboration with Kristin Hersh (Your Ghost). Better American bands IMO with the country rock thing though - e.g. Throwing Muses and Mazzy Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Dudess wrote: »
    Weird - I was just discussing this album with someone last night. I only really liked REM briefly back in 1991 when they released Out of Time - some good songs on that.

I think Out of Time has dated badly, though the closing trio of Texarkana, Country Feedback and Me In Honey is great. The album would be improved immensely if they'd only ditched one or two tracks and kept on It's A Free World, Baby. I think Peter Buck is still sore about that.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Dudess wrote: »
    Weird - I was just discussing this album with someone last night. I only really liked REM briefly back in 1991 when they released Out of Time - some good songs on that. I find most of their stuff mediocre, bar the occasional great track. And I adore Michael Stipe's collaboration with Kristin Hersh (Your Ghost). Better American bands IMO with the country rock thing though - e.g. Throwing Muses and Mazzy Star.

That Kirstin Hersh reference is weird :)
    I was just listening to "Your ghost" a couple of nights ago (after comparing Lisa Germano/Kirstin Hersh similarity on Last FM) having not heard the song in years- (it's as good as ever).

Sorry for going OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Green is the best ........It was the "HERE WE ARE ALBUM AND WERE HERE TO STAY" some of the best songs are on this and it looks as if they are still trying to get back to that sound.....

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

For me its Out Of Time and Automatic For The People. Though I would happily not listen to Losing My Religion ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Up-REM1998_f.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Monster for me. By a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

I don’t have a favourite album by them because I haven’t sufficiently explored them yet. I do love the song Tongue, from the album Monster very much. It reminds me of summer 1995 though I think it may have been released later in 1995. I remember seeing the video on TOTP. I finally purchased the album Monster in October 2008. It’s a good album. What’s the Frequency, Kenneth? Is a cracker for me to play on the bass. Tongue is one of my fave songs. I love the lyrics (“Anybody can get laid”. True. True. True. But who can find *love*?), the music and the vocals.

Nightswimming is another beautiful song. I have a feeling I’d like Automatic for the People.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

jazoo wrote: »
    Green is the best ........It was the "HERE WE ARE ALBUM AND WERE HERE TO STAY" some of the best songs are on this and it looks as if they are still trying to get back to that sound.....
    yes would have to go with Fables of Reconstruction as it was the first album i heard of theirs. IMO Automatic for the people is their best while Green I think is a very solid effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

The number of different albums people are naming as their favourite on this thread goes to show what an incredibly strong and consistent career R.E.M. have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Monksie

tech77 wrote: »
    OK not the latest, hippest band- just REM (ask your granddad, kids. :D )

Almost forgot how good this album is until i listened to it again there.
    Classic- is there a duff track on it?- Drive, Man on the moon, Nightswimming, Sweetness follows, Try not to breathe, Find the River...

Do you have a favourite REM album?
    And what are they doing now- haven't heard much from them in a while.

like that album too...also bought their album from live at the olympia twas good too! life's rich pageant and monster are pretty great. even tho they aint the hippest they sure are amazing in concert! i dont understand why more people dont listen to them!:P:P:P

Advertisement