Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help on my comp

• 28-01-2010 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new computer to game on mainly to game with world of warcraft: wrath of the lich king.

The computer im considering buying has:

1mb Ram,
    Dual Xeon @4.8ghz
    80g HDD
    Nvidia Geforce 6200 (512mb)
    please let me know if this is good enough thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I think you need more than 1mb RAM to play that, I can't be certain but it's just a hunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Gigilowgonewild

it says i only need 1mb if im a xp user, its just i dont know muc about computers :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

You're definitely going to need more than 1Mb of RAM just to run Windows XP. Try 2-3Gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

You should be ok.

Min specs:
    * Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 3), Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    * Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
    * RAM: 512 MB RAM (1GB for Vista users)
    * Video Card: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM (such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better)

Recommended:
    * Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 3), Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    * Processor: Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2
    * RAM: 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)
    * Video Card: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM (such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better)
    * Sound: DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability

* Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.11 or newer
    * Processor: Minimum: PowerPC G5 1.6 GHz or Intel Core Duo processor
    * Recommended: Intel 1.8GHz processor or betterProcessor:
    * RAM: Minimum: 1 GB RAM
    * Recommended: 2 GB RAM
    * Video: Minimum: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 64 MB VRAM (such as an ATI Radeon 9600 or NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4600 class card or better)
    * Recommended: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM (such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA 7600 class card or better)

The game will play but not at highest quality :)

Other posters.....I think we all know it's 1Gb of ram and not 1mb ffs

• Advertisement

tnx a million

The_Edge wrote: »
    Other posters.....I think we all know it's 1Gb of ram and not 1mb ffs
    That's an assumption. And he did state it as 1Mb twice. Best to be certain I say.

Unless the PC was made in 1987 or something he's not going to have 1Mb RAM. The Dual Xeon or the agp video card kinda gave that away.

Why am I wasting my time replying to this?

Anyway Gigilowgonewild, you should be ok.

The_Edge wrote: »
    Why am I wasting my time replying to this?
    Sorry dude, didn't mean to waste anyone's time. I've worked in support for a number of years now and when assumptions are made, they generally make a fool of you later. Having said that, I should have spotted the Xeon, my mistake. Early morning and all that. :)

Tell me about it! No harm done, no worries. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

can you post the link to this spec online?

Even if it is indeed 1 GIG instead of 1 MEG that is still too little imo. You might get away with running ONLY wow on lower settings with a clean computer but if you want to do any sort of multi tasking or run at high settings you need more ram. I've never played wow but i imagine like the other games with lots of "areas" and content that it's not completely efficient in maintaining memory and dumping what's not needed which means over time your game will slow down as it requires more ram and eats into the virtual ram which is stored on the hard drive.

Unless this is dirt cheap i'd try for something more. Even second hand pcs can come far better graphical and memory equipped with significantly lower prices than off the shelf stuff. Since it's within the minimum and recommended settings it'll probably run just not that well. That being said feel free to completely disregard what I've said as I've never played wow and from the looks of the graphics, it may not put that much of a strain on your hardware.

A decent broadband would be required also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dual Xeon? Is this a sever or a workstation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Thanks Everyone this the link im buying it at ebay on low budget

That doesn't have a copy of windows on it, are you going to install windows yourself?

Why don't you head over to www.adverts.ie and look out for something

Are you serious? so theres no program on it

Looks like its being sold without windows, as they say its windows 7 and vista compatible, and try to flog you a copy of windows 7 for it. Doesn't mention having windows installed on it anywhere.

I think you should steer clear of that one, save up a few more quid and buy a fully built machine off www.adverts.ie

Anyone know how much XP Pro is in shops to buy?

lol i bought it :( so gonna have to buy the windows xp i guesss lol

Doesn't have a monitor, keyboard or mouse either you know.

I don't have much faith in you to install windows and source drivers either. No offence.

Think i'll be avoiding this forum for awhile :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

lol i bought it :( so gonna have to buy the windows xp i guesss lol

Well you have gone and done it, so at this stage go out and buy Windows Seven. For about 200 quid. sorry...

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_subcat=1&id=5857&sid=14&cid=5854

7 day money back guarantee
    Once you receive your order, if you find that it's not to your satisfaction or simply not what you were looking for, let me know and I'll give you an RMA number to return it for the price paid.

I'd send it back, or not take it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Maybe it will make a nice book end? :( Sorry but sometimes people make rash decisions on auction sites without researching first, indeed a shame but a lesson learnt?
    I am not mocking anyone here, I have made the same listake myself on some late nights!

lol thank you all, and i knew it was without a monitor,keyboard and mouse, i have all them,

And i Bough Xp Home edition for 40 quid so should be ok now, thanks again

What a strange box. Don't forget to grab a keyboard, mouse and monitor somewhere.

Advertisement