Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bassett Hounds

Options
  • 28-01-2010 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Does anyone here have or had a Bassett Hound? We are looking for a friend for our Jack Russell and someone has gotten in touch who needs to rehome their Bassett Hound. He's described him as very gentle, quiet and loves other dogs and from everything the current owner has said about him he sounds like the perfect dog for us. But I know very little about the breed. Apart from having to clean their ears and eyes regularly due to infections are they a healthy breed otherwise? Would you recommend them? Our main priority is a friendly buddy for our dog but we have to factor in other things too. Any info on the breed besides what we've googled and if you think it's a good idea to take him or not would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

My folks have one, but she's only 5 months, so we're still in the early stages of finding out what they are like!

They have a reputation of being quite stubborn and difficult to train (though definitely not stupid), but toilet training etc is going well with our little lady. She's very affectionate and loves people and cats and everyone loves her. You do need a secure garden and to keep them on the lead when out - they are scent hounds and will follow their noses everywhere, even if that takes them right in front of a car. Apparently they don't do well spending long periods alone, so if you are out at work during the day you need to consider that. Also remember that they're not a small dog per se, more a short dog. The best description I've heard is a lab on short legs. They weigh over 20kg fully grown. Also, they can bark! They have a hound's park so are quite loud.

Why are the current owners getting rid of him?

You could also call the people that run Ash rescue centre - they rescue a lot of Bassets and should be able to tell you more about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The ones I know can be described as canine donkeys :D and two of the males are quite narky with other dogs and people.

The list of genetic problems is also quite long: glaucoma; thrombopathia; von Willebrand’s disease; hypothyroidism; patellar luxation; hip dysplasia; elbow dysplasia ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

EGAR wrote: »
    The ones I know can be described as canine donkeys :D and two of the males are quite narky with other dogs and people.

The list of genetic problems is also quite long: glaucoma; thrombopathia; von Willebrand’s disease; hypothyroidism; patellar luxation; hip dysplasia; elbow dysplasia ..

Would you consider not getting one for these reasons? Are they very common in the breed?
    shanagarry wrote: »
    My folks have one, but she's only 5 months, so we're still in the early stages of finding out what they are like!

They have a reputation of being quite stubborn and difficult to train (though definitely not stupid), but toilet training etc is going well with our little lady. She's very affectionate and loves people and cats and everyone loves her. You do need a secure garden and to keep them on the lead when out - they are scent hounds and will follow their noses everywhere, even if that takes them right in front of a car. Apparently they don't do well spending long periods alone, so if you are out at work during the day you need to consider that. Also remember that they're not a small dog per se, more a short dog. The best description I've heard is a lab on short legs. They weigh over 20kg fully grown. Also, they can bark! They have a hound's park so are quite loud.

Why are the current owners getting rid of him?

You could also call the people that run Ash rescue centre - they rescue a lot of Bassets and should be able to tell you more about them.

Thanks for your replies. Would I be pestering Ash rescue if I rang them and asked them about the breed or would they be fine with it? The current owners have had him 2 months, they got him from a shelter and their cats (also rescues) are terrified of him. He does nothing but look at them but they just don't want him there and the cats were there first. They did say if it doesn't work out they would take him back and they do seem very genuine about why they have to rehome him and are quite upset about letting him go, they don't want to have to give him back to the shelter and want to find a good home for him themselves.

He's housetrained and trained on the lead. The stubborn part I don't really mind at all to be honest. If that's their personality so be it, the worst we'll ever make him do is go for a walk and apparently he likes his walks so he should be okay.

We have a very secure garden, our Jack Russell can climb walls (he's mental! :D) and he still can't get out so it's pretty secure.

We're more than willing to put in the time and effort with him. My girlfriend works with animals so she'd know more than me but she hasn't worked with that many Basset Hounds so we're not that clued up about them. We're reading up as much as possible but every dog breed will have it's downsides I'm sure.

When you say they get lonely is the company of another dog enough or do they require human contact all day? There will be days when I work from home and there'll be days when I don't, it's about 50/50.

We really do want to do as much research as possible before we give them an answer. He really does sound like a lovely dog but we have to put our Jack Russel first and make sure he is the right companion for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Most shelters have a policy that the dog cannot be passed on to a third party without their knowledge and consent. You want to check that before you take him!

Basset Hounds wouldn't be a breed for me as I like dogs with straight legs and the last Basset who came through my rescue had massive heart problems, so no, I wouldn't take one. But that is my personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Hey,

Heres my 2cents for what its worth ;)
    We have two basset hounds, one is 19months and the other is 15months now! So far the older lad has been to the vet for a minor eye infection and that was a year ago.....since then not once! Apart from general shots etc when we got the oldest fella neither have been sick......maybe we're just lucky but you would have to agree we got lucky twice :p
    Im not saying they won't need more medical attention when they get on a bit, were prepared for that but no more prepared then any dog owner...all breeds have their weakness' but for now they're great! My parents have a golden retriever who aside from being a great dog is on a first name basis with his vet if you know what I mean!!

We rescued the youngest fella. Our main reason for getting him was for a companion for the first basset. We had intended getting a companion anyway not necessarily a basset but when we saw the second lad we couldn't resist. Although they can be "stubborn" dogs if you put the effort in you definitely reap the rewards. I have never had two more loyal companions in my life....mine are fine with other dogs, if anything they are a bit too friendly and often its the dogs we meet that get a bit snappy as our two are very friendly! Only issue I can see is they love there grub and would do anything for it....even root through the bins!! We sorted this with a nice sturdy tall bin and we watch what they eat very carefully, Im not a fan of a very fat basset!!! Also they are deceptively long.....if they're let jump up on tables etc they can swipe the contents from the middle of it onto the floor before you know it....but we nipped that in the bud early on to prevent any damage to their backs.

As I said they are fierce loyal....the oldest lad was headed for a bit of seperation anxiety but that all stopped with the second arrival. They play alot, tire each other out and generally keep each other company, the noises coming from our kitchen when the two lads are having a friendly "wrestle" are hilarious!!! Saying that they do love human attention and are great lap dogs.

Anyway I'm a big Basset fan....obviously!! Great dogs, loyal companions and dispite their reputation good walkers, our two could walk for ireland!! Give the rescue people a ring, I'm sure they'd be only too happy to help you out if it means another basset gets a home! Good luck :D

• Advertisement

Thanks LBD, great post. Your two sound great! :)

I guess we'll have a think about it anyway, I think we're leaning towards taking him but have to talk more about it. Thanks for your helpful posts.

EGAR I will check that out, thank you. If that's the case and the shelter want to home check us that would be fine too.

No worries Michael B, hope it all works out for you and your family! Let us know what you decide and if you do get the little fella post a pic!! Oh and I forgot to mention they have a face that can guilt you into anything.....one look at that at those big eyes and I melt :)

LBD wrote: »
    Oh and I forgot to mention they have a face that can guilt you into anything.....one look at that at those big eyes and I melt :)

That I can relate to! Our lady has my folks wrapped around her paw! My dad loves all animals but would expect them to know their place, if you know what I mean, but he is besotted with her. I was talking to my mum the other night and she said Bailey was sitting staring at her with the saddest face :D

Don't be shy about ringing Ash, I'm sure they would only be delighted to help. Their site won't open for me at the moment, but if you google it, they have some basset information on there.

EGAR obviously has more breed experience, but when my folks were researching, anything they read suggested that bassets were no more prone to health problems than most breeds. You just have to be careful they don't get too fat and also they shouldn't jump off stuff as they can damage their legs and shoulders due to having a lot of weight on short legs.

If you do decided to take him, do introduce him and your JRT somewhere neutral first just to make sure they're a good fit.

That I can relate to! Our lady has my folks wrapped around her paw! My dad loves all animals but would expect them to know their place, if you know what I mean, but he is besotted with her. I was talking to my mum the other night and she said Bailey was sitting staring at her with the saddest face :D

Wierd you mention it....my parents, especially my dad are nuts about ours! They like dogs themselves and have always kept dogs but my dad actually talks to our guys like they're "people" a trait my dad has never shown before....He actually calls the older lad donkey (as in donkey from shrek, Len can be just as annoying as donkey can but is just as loveable) and we would often joke "I wonder what they'd say if they could speak" to which my usually laid back sister piped up (with terror in her voice) Oh god don't tempt fate if that pair started talking they'd never shut up!!!

Michael B I think what myself and shanagarry are trying to illustrate here is the personality these dogs have, they really are something else :D
    .....ahem enough basset pushing from me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shona79

hi, my friend has a 3year old female and she is a total pet,
    but just be carefull,if thay are rehomeing her why are thay doing it????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hey,

Heres my 2cents for what its worth ;)
    We have two basset hounds, one is 19months and the other is 15months now! So far the older lad has been to the vet for a minor eye infection and that was a year ago.....since then not once! Apart from general shots etc when we got the oldest fella neither have been sick......maybe we're just lucky but you would have to agree we got lucky twice :p
    Im not saying they won't need more medical attention when they get on a bit, were prepared for that

Heya, I know you have said it yourself but any dog that had serious genetical health problems at 15 and 19 months would be pretty much falling apart at the seams. It can take a few years for these things to show.

Magenta wrote: »
    Heya, I know you have said it yourself but any dog that had serious genetical health problems at 15 and 19 months would be pretty much falling apart at the seams. It can take a few years for these things to show.

Exactly magenta..... Im not sure what your point is or what you're pointing out to me? I was merely trying to dimiss the inference that basset hounds have health problems from the off set!!!!! As I dud say we're fully prepared for all possible health problems to come! Do you have any experience with basset hounds? I'm always interested to hear other peoples experiences with them...... That's what the op asked for after all.....

Exactly magenta..... Im not sure what your point is or what you're pointing out to me? I was merely trying to dimiss the inference that basset hounds have health problems from the off set!!!!! As I dud say we're fully prepared for all possible health problems to come! Do you have any experience with basset hounds? I'm always interested to hear other peoples experiences with them...... That's what the op asked for after all.....

All my point was, was that 15/19 months is a bit young for most dogs for genetic problems to show, unless the dog was really, really sick. For example I have heard of very young dogs of other breeds getting hip dysplasia.

shona79 wrote: »
    hi, my friend has a 3year old female and she is a total pet,
    but just be carefull,if thay are rehomeing her why are thay doing it????
    Their cats are terrified of the dog.

Thanks for the posts everyone, keep them coming, I'd love to hear from anyone else that has or had Basset Hounds too if you're out there. I mean you can look up any dog online and you'll find problems with them to be honest. Unless you would really recommend us not getting him because of the breed's health down the line, do a high percentage of them have problems? If so then yes that would put us off but if it isn't a high number I don't think it would. Things can happen to any breed.

All my point was, was that 15/19 months is a bit young for most dogs for genetic problems to show, unless the dog was really, really sick. For example I have heard of very young dogs of other breeds getting hip dysplasia.

I completely agree with you magenta but I don't think that has any relevance to what I intended with my posts. I'm pretty sure you're missin my point altogether so I don't think we're helping the op here. Please share your experience with bassets with us if you can or otherwise feel free to pm me if you disagree with something I've said. Don't want to distract from the main issue here which is bassets :)

I completely agree with you magenta but I don't think that has any relevance to what I intended with my posts. I'm pretty sure you're missin my point altogether so I don't think we're helping the op here. Please share your experience with bassets with us if you can or otherwise feel free to pm me if you disagree with something I've said. Don't want to distract from the main issue here which is bassets :)

OK. I wasn't discounting your experience at all- more agreeing with you really in that 15/19 months is young. Hopefully your dogs have started as they mean to go on!

My cousin has one (the dog's name is Tom after Tom Cruise, in reference to their height :D). He's had a couple of ear infections and my cousin didn't get a sandpit for his kids in case the sand would get in Tom's eye (because they are droopy).

OK. I wasn't discounting your experience at all- more agreeing with you really in that 15/19 months is young. Hopefully your dogs have started as they mean to go on!

My cousin has one (the dog's name is Tom after Tom Cruise, in reference to their height :D). He's had a couple of ear infections and my cousin didn't get a sandpit for his kids in case the sand would get in Tom's eye (because they are droopy).

Lol sounds familiar!!! We can't leave anything on the kitchen table within basset reaching distance anymore :)

Lol sounds familiar!!! We can't leave anything on the kitchen table within basset reaching distance anymore :)

Oh yeah, and Tom eats all before him. The Christmas tree decorations had to be at a strategic height, Bassets and baubles don't mix :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I posted this a while back on Bassets, but I can't link to it so I'm going to repost it.

"My friend has one, he's 13 and still going strong. So I'll give you my experience of him.
    They're large dogs on short legs. Folk don't realise how big they are because they're so short. Her guy is 70 pounds.
    They are loud, that bark is meant to be heard over distance, they also howl if left alone for long. She works from home so it's not an issue, but my god he has some set of pipes on him. If you're living in a built up area and intend to leave your dog out for long periods, be prepared for this.
    They are hard to train, and it takes ages to house break them as puppies. They are food orientated and you can train them thusly, they do NOT respond well to a heavy hand in training, it just makes them skittish and afraid.
    They shed all year long and they smell 'houndish' because of a rather oily double coat.
    They are independent off lead and will follow their nose no matter how much you call sometimes.
    They have no road sense. They will be hit by a car of you don't have them on a lead near a road.
    They can be intolerant of children, mostly due to kids pulling out of them the minute they see them.
    It takes forever to train them, but once trained they are possibly the best indoor dog in the world- ever. They remember everyone, even people they been introduced to only once. This is great, but also a nightmare if they come across a vet they don't like.
    They need their nails clipped regularly, every three to four weeks, they need their ears cleaned weekly, you need to get pups used to this early, again my friend's dog associates this with food and will lie there quite happily for her to do it. They are prone to bloat so three or four smaller meals a day is much safer for them. Don't let them get fat, even at 13 her guy does 2- 3 kilometres a day on walks, albeit at his pace.
    They love cheese more than life itself.
    They should not be up on furniture as jumping up and down is not great for their backs. Of course they will be up on that furniture the moment your back is turned.
    They drool, they shake their heads and that drool can go everywhere.
    They are ridiculously loving and affectionate dogs, but unless you have a lot of time to put into them as pups and you're NOT the most house proud of person- ie, a bit of hair and slobber doesn't bother you- think long and hard about getting one. But if you do get one, they're absolutely fabulous pets, er, once you get to about eight months, my friend would almost cry with frustration over his early training as she had a collie before him and he was so quick to pick everything up. But like I said at the start, he's 13 now and he was worth it in everyway."

Edit: He's 13 and a half, and has absolutely no health problems apart from an allergy to dust for which he take one tablet every morning which keeps it under control. Oh, and he has taken up snoring- loud enough to wake her. That's about the size of it. Great dogs, hard work in the early days, true and loyal companions for life.

Thanks again.

Regarding being left alone. There will be days when it will be just the two dogs for a good few hours alone. Which is why we wanted a friend for our guy so he's not on his own a lot. The Jack Russel hasn't been bothered about this, he just seems to go to sleep or give out to the local birds/cats but I still don't think it's fair he's on his own so I hope another dog is good for him. So would the company of the Jack Russel be enough company for the Basset Hound or will they require human company all day? This is the biggest thing for us, if he won't like it just being him and the JR for a lot during the day maybe a Basset Hound isn't for us. Our main priority is that the dog we do get is happy.

• Advertisement

Well her guy sleeps in the kitchen if she goes out. If he was left outside he would howl and bark, but in the house he is very relaxed and at his age sleep is what he does best. However when she was away last year another friend minded the dog and he was kept with another dog and he howled the place down, regardless of having dog company, so I can't say if a basset would be content with a JRT or not. Probably they would, but again I am only going by her old boy and he is rather set in his ways. He has a cat that he pals about with and they sleep in the same bed and are very quiet together ( the cat is elderly too).
    Every dog is different of course, but just to be aware, Bassets are LOUD.

Thanks fatmammycat. God we're lost as what to do. He really sounds like a lovely dog but I don't know if he's the right breed for our situation.

Eek, I don't want to put you off. They ARE lovely dogs, and he might be happy as can be with your JRT, it's just to be aware that if they are not happy they are most vocal about it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ninak

Just to add to the debate about Basset Hounds. I grew up with one in our family. An absolutely brilliant dog. Really patient with me as a child and so loyal. I have heard them described as not being good with children before but mine sure was. I used to spend hours playing with him. My mother was amazed he didn't snap at me. This patience with children might be worth mentioning as you say you have a Jack Russell. As a Jack Russell owner myself I would liken much of their behaviour to hyper, demanding children so a Basset Hound may be a good companion for a Jack Russell, if it is anything like mine!

Arthritis did become a problem towards the end of his life. That seems to be a problem with the breed in later life so you need to keep the weight down. Short legs, big body! But my Jack Russell ran out in front of a car a few months back and fractured her back legs. I am pretty sure she will be having problems with arthritis in later life too! I suppose what I am trying to say is you can have a breed with less known health problems genetically and they can still end up causing you heaps of problems due to their personality or just bad luck.

My family went on to have all kinds of dogs including Red Setters, Labradors, Papillions, etc., and my mother always claimed her favorite was the Basset Hound. He got closer to her than any of the others. A fiercely loyal dog and a proper companion.

I had been thinking of getting one last year but I found an abandoned Jack Russell Terrier puppy and indirectly ended up with my first terrier. Or rather she chose us, having jumped into the car in the car park in Aldi! Regardless, if you can handle a Jack Russell Terrier, you can handle a Bassett Hound, in my opinion. Little dog, big attitude, way bigger challenge.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ninak

Just to add to the debate about Basset Hounds. I grew up with one in our family. An absolutely brilliant dog. Really patient with me as a child and so loyal. I have heard them described as not being good with children before but mine sure was. I used to spend hours playing with him. My mother was amazed he didn't snap at me. This patience with children might be worth mentioning as you say you have a Jack Russell. As a Jack Russell owner myself I would liken much of their behaviour to hyper, demanding children so a Basset Hound may be a good companion for a Jack Russell, if it is anything like mine!

Arthritis did become a problem towards the end of his life. That seems to be a problem with the breed in later life so you need to keep the weight down. Short legs, big body! But my Jack Russell ran out in front of a car a few months back and fractured her back legs. I am pretty sure she will be having problems with arthritis in later life too! I suppose what I am trying to say is you can have a breed with less known health problems genetically and they can still end up causing you heaps of problems due to their personality or just bad luck.

My family went on to have all kinds of dogs including Red Setters, Labradors, Papillions, etc., and my mother always claimed her favorite was the Basset Hound. He got closer to her than any of the others. A fiercely loyal dog and a proper companion.

I had been thinking of getting one last year but I found an abandoned Jack Russell Terrier puppy and indirectly ended up with my first terrier. Or rather she chose us, having jumped into the car in the car park in Aldi! Regardless, if you can handle a Jack Russell Terrier, you can handle a Bassett Hound, in my opinion. Little dog, big attitude, way bigger challenge.

Good luck with it.

We have decided not to take the Basset Hound. Thanks for all of your advice, after a lot of thought and advice on here we feel he isn't for us unfortunately. Someone has been in touch who has a West Highland Terrier who needs to be rehomed so we may and go meet him and see how they get on.

That's a shame, but the correct decision to make if you feel he's not for you.

Do you know what's going to happen to him now?

That's a shame, but the correct decision to make if you feel he's not for you.

Do you know what's going to happen to him now?
    His owner is holding on to him until he finds a good home for him. I'm doing my best to help him out too as he really does sound like a lovely dog so I hope he finds a great home. It wasn't an easy decision to make but I feel like we've made the right one. Mainly because looking at the difference in size too he would be 3 times bigger than our tiny little dog so we'd prefer a dog that would suit him better.

Thanks for your help everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fascinating thread; thank you.

We took in a puppy some 4 years ago; the mother was JRT, abandoned when in pup so we had no idea re the father.

But as she grew, clearly he was Basset.

I see so much of her in this thread that it makes me smile.

She bounces as a JRT but much of the weight and solidness of a Bassett; and always nose glued to the ground. And that bassett expression on her face.

And yes, very vocal and a doggy smell.

And utterly devoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

I posted this a while back on Bassets, but I can't link to it so I'm going to repost it.

"My friend has one, he's 13 and still going strong. So I'll give you my experience of him.
    They're large dogs on short legs. Folk don't realise how big they are because they're so short. Her guy is 70 pounds.
    They are loud, that bark is meant to be heard over distance, they also howl if left alone for long. She works from home so it's not an issue, but my god he has some set of pipes on him. If you're living in a built up area and intend to leave your dog out for long periods, be prepared for this.
    They are hard to train, and it takes ages to house break them as puppies. They are food orientated and you can train them thusly, they do NOT respond well to a heavy hand in training, it just makes them skittish and afraid.
    They shed all year long and they smell 'houndish' because of a rather oily double coat.
    They are independent off lead and will follow their nose no matter how much you call sometimes.
    They have no road sense. They will be hit by a car of you don't have them on a lead near a road.
    They can be intolerant of children, mostly due to kids pulling out of them the minute they see them.
    It takes forever to train them, but once trained they are possibly the best indoor dog in the world- ever. They remember everyone, even people they been introduced to only once. This is great, but also a nightmare if they come across a vet they don't like.
    They need their nails clipped regularly, every three to four weeks, they need their ears cleaned weekly, you need to get pups used to this early, again my friend's dog associates this with food and will lie there quite happily for her to do it. They are prone to bloat so three or four smaller meals a day is much safer for them. Don't let them get fat, even at 13 her guy does 2- 3 kilometres a day on walks, albeit at his pace.
    They love cheese more than life itself.
    They should not be up on furniture as jumping up and down is not great for their backs. Of course they will be up on that furniture the moment your back is turned.
    They drool, they shake their heads and that drool can go everywhere.
    They are ridiculously loving and affectionate dogs, but unless you have a lot of time to put into them as pups and you're NOT the most house proud of person- ie, a bit of hair and slobber doesn't bother you- think long and hard about getting one. But if you do get one, they're absolutely fabulous pets, er, once you get to about eight months, my friend would almost cry with frustration over his early training as she had a collie before him and he was so quick to pick everything up. But like I said at the start, he's 13 now and he was worth it in everyway."

Edit: He's 13 and a half, and has absolutely no health problems apart from an allergy to dust for which he take one tablet every morning which keeps it under control. Oh, and he has taken up snoring- loud enough to wake her. That's about the size of it. Great dogs, hard work in the early days, true and loyal companions for life.

It's like you have actually met my guy!

Advertisement