Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky to screen football match in 3D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I presume this is for the upcoming arsenal man utd game
    Will we get glasses at the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

syngindub wrote: »

You would have to, unwatchable otherwise. And the pubs would have to get a new 3D telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ush1 wrote: »
    You would have to, unwatchable otherwise. And the pubs would have to get a new 3D telly.
    Actually those 3D TV's don't require the special glasses I'm not sure if a projector can be used(with glasses) in collage we use two projectors offset with the glasses for scientific research(astronomy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

so one pair to watch the match and another to find my way to the bar..cool

Actually those 3D TV's don't require the special glasses I'm not sure if a projector can be used(with glasses) in collage we use two projectors offset with the glasses for scientific research(astronomy)

Yes they do require special glasses if it's the new standard ones:
    http://news.cnet.com/3d-tv-faq/?tag=centerColumnArea1.1

Requires ALCS glasses which are expensive. 3D stereoscopic image always require glasses.

• Advertisement

so one pair to watch the match and another to find my way to the bar..cool

Why I've always thought 3D was a gimmick, people who already wear glasses have to wear 2 pairs when watching, tad distracting I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well it's a pub so I presume there'll be plenty behind the bar :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Why I've always thought 3D was a gimmick, people who already wear glasses have to wear 2 pairs when watching, tad distracting I'd have thought.

I am sure Specsavers will soon be offering 3-D glasses with prescription lenses, maybe even in your team's colours, obvious business opportunity there. Maybe even 3-D contact lenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yup. Special ones that black over when Arsenal commit fouls. :)

stovelid wrote: »
    Yup. Special ones that black over when Arsenal commit fouls. :)

Like Ferguson and all managers don't do the same.
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-utd-boss-ferguson-neville-tevez-spat-just-normal-592171

"and I didn't see his gesture.":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theres an irish company who have developed a patented on screen projection 3d technology

no glasses required

could do the job for pub screenings of sport if it actually works

Helix wrote: »
    theres an irish company who have developed a patented on screen projection 3d technology

no glasses required

could do the job for pub screenings of sport if it actually works

Well there has been a few ridiculously priced autoscopic projectors around but the image is awful, unwatchable. And miles off being consumer available anyway.

Well there has been a few ridiculously priced autoscopic projectors around but the image is awful, unwatchable.

apparently this stuff actually works, theyre called realview innovations

theyve sold the rights to quite a few major players in the tv industry

though ive not actually seen a prototype, so it might be awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Even the Sky Sports website doesn't actually state which pub(S) it's in. And BBC helpfully think Dublin is in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Listening to the radio this morning, they commented on this being shown in Dublin, London, Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast and a few other places.
    However they stated that Sky were keeping the locations of the Pubs ( 1 per city) secret.....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I have searched the entire internet and can't find out what pub is showing this
    We may need some insider info to crack this one, anyone know that ginger detective from Miami he is good at solving stuff that the internet can't solve

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I have searched the entire internet and can't find out what pub is showing this
    We may need some insider info to crack this one, anyone know that ginger detective from Miami he is good at solving stuff that the internet can't solve

should have the info by tomorrow

cant stick it on here but if i can get it ill pm anyone whos interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Wonder if it might be the Submarine, sky were in there before during matches esp WC 2002.

apparently this stuff actually works, theyre called realview innovations

theyve sold the rights to quite a few major players in the tv industry

though ive not actually seen a prototype, so it might be awful

It looks more "depth enhancing" than actual 3D.
    http://fr.movies.yahoo.com/10012010/11/photo/10012010201543.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

I'll be happy with a United 3-0.:D in any pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

rednik wrote: »
    I'll be happy with a United 3-0.:D in any pub.

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

is it just me or is this completely unnecessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

http://www.tribalfootball.com/man-utd-boss-ferguson-neville-tevez-spat-just-normal-592171

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

quoting Tribal Football automatically makes every point null and void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Gerty wrote: »
    is it just me or is this completely unnecessary?

Same as HD.

Anyway, I see most of my football in 3D by actually going to games.

Liam O wrote: »
    quoting Tribal Football automatically makes every point null and void.

Well I could quote multiple sources for Taggarts myopia if you like, it wasn't an exclusive interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BrandonFlowers

should have the info by tomorrow

cant stick it on here but if i can get it ill pm anyone whos interested

i'd be interested if ya could!

right anyone whos asked either in thread or via pm so far is all im gonna give the info to if i can get it dont wanna act the bugger with it, fairs fair

still no guarantee i can get it, but id be hopeful

will pm all by friday evening whether i know or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

chef wrote: »
    Listening to the radio this morning, they commented on this being shown in Dublin, London, Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast and a few other places.
    However they stated that Sky were keeping the locations of the Pubs ( 1 per city) secret.....!!!!

If they are Secret locations then whats 'Sky's' point in tell people, thats just not fair!! :)

I too have seached about 20 or more on-line websites (large sports bars) in Dublin and none of them are advertising... I guess we'll just have to wait for internal mole at Sky to start blabbing. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

One of the Lads just emailed me a list of venues, he said he got the list from DigitalSpy, I have not found a link yet , I am on the hunt now.

The Dublin venue , well lets say it would leave a lot to be desired ! Hardly a venue you would call a sports bar !

Heres the mail anyway !,
    Anyone found out where this is yet?

Ive come across this list on digitalspy, not sure how reliable.

Cardiff - The Blackweir Tavern (North Road)
    Dublin - Qbar (D'Olier Street)
    Edinburgh - Belushis (Market Street)
    London - Bar Kick (Shoreditch)
    London - The Elk Bar (Fulham)
    London - The George (Liverpool St)
    London - Sirocco ( Soho)
    Manchester - Binary Bar (Castlefield)
    Manchester - O'Sheas (Princess Street)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Anyone know what the Qbar is like now.

They use to be right fussy bastards on the doors there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

redout wrote: »

Dont think there that fussy any more, you cant afford tobe these days if you want customers ! but IMO its a crap venue .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I was hoping that it was going to be the Woolshed in Dublin.

I wouldn't go to Q-bar to watch a match.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

redout wrote: »

this is just my opinion but they are still twats

kenon wrote: »
    I was hoping that it was going to be the Woolshed in Dublin.

I wouldn't go to Q-bar to watch a match.

Same here , but the allure of the 3D might get me in there .

This could be big for PUB/CLUBS to get people back out of there houses for the games.

I was really hoping it would be the wool shed also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Des wrote: »
    Same as HD.

Anyway, I see most of my football in 3D by actually going to games.

Do you mean HD is unnecessary?

The difference between HD and Conventional on football for me is huge, it's actually one of the only things i really notice it on. I mean i could do without HD or Blu-ray movies, but i can really notice it when watching whatever ones BBC show in HD and ITV also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The difference between HD and Conventional on football for me is huge, it's actually one of the only things i really notice it on. I mean i could do without HD or Blu-ray movies, but i can really notice it when watching whatever ones BBC show in HD and ITV also.

I would agree. Football in HD -v- SD is a no brainer. I only started watching HD football a few weeks ago and the difference is amazing although for things like movies, documentaries etc I am not really bothered about the HD.

Sky should give perhaps a €5 option just to have the sports channels in HD.

I get that for some people, it makes a difference. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I've watched football on black and white portables, old 21" tvs, widescreens, plasmas, lcds, projector, and HD.

Apart from the b&w obviously, it all looks the same to me. I fully understand that in five to ten years time HD will be the norm, and looking back at the old way, it will seem like crap quality. But for now I'm a big load of meh. It's an expense I could do without.

This 3D, to me, is a gimmick

Des wrote: »

This 3D, to me, is a gimmick

I agree with the 3D thing being a gimmick, it's also a bit rushed it seems, the dust hasn't even settled on HD.

But i love watching football in HD,

but as you eluded to, nothing beats it being played right in front of your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

HD, 3D, what's next LSD?

I agree with Des. Strikes me as a fad. I'm still waiting for virtual reality to kick off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I can see it now, robbie taps one in for spurs and does his goal celebration with the shooting arrow........

r-keane.jpg

3D kicks in..........

972_avatar1b.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Football in 3D, what's the point?

Football in 3D, what's the point?

Its a new platform,

Just like HD was ,

If your not into it dont watch it , simple as ;)

Although in saying that it will be "the big thing" this year

With the premiership starting to show games in 3D , some six nations games, and I think I heard somewhere that there maybe a few formula one races also show in 3D.

I dont think I will be nipping out to get a new set when they are released, but if it catches on I can see the Pubs getting a mini revival for match days .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

I agree with the 3D thing being a gimmick, it's also a bit rushed it seems, the dust hasn't even settled on HD.

But i love watching football in HD,

but as you eluded to, nothing beats it being played right in front of your eyes.

sorry mate but this made me laugh(not in a sarcastic way). you know a film called jaws 3d?:D 3d has been around for everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. just disappeared for awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭crushproof

Q-bar!! What a joke! I had my money on the Woolshed!

Woolshed still wins out though, wouldn't bother going to watch a match in Q-bar! Can always catch the rugby next week in 3D!

Paulegend wrote: »
    sorry mate but this made me laugh(not in a sarcastic way). you know a film called jaws 3d?:D 3d has been around for everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. just disappeared for awhile

Sorry, i should have pointed out i was talking about 3D TV's, i know 3D has been around for ages :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sorry, i should have pointed out i was talking about 3D TV's, i know 3D has been around for ages :D
    Panasonic sell a 3D HD (up to 1080i) projector and you can get it on pixmania for €542.76 . That makes it very affordable for the pub/s who want to display 3D football matches or people at home who want to. Of course you could also wait till later this year and buy LG's new one only 10 grand......

and that's not the cheapest one

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

this is on in fagans in Drumcondra not Q-bar according to paper today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Best answer I've seen is some new sports bar somewhere in a Dublin suburb. Can't see it being the Woolshed or QBar ... and Fagan's?

MOH wrote: »
    Best answer I've seen is some new sports bar somewhere in a Dublin suburb. Can't see it being the Woolshed or QBar ... and Fagan's?

That could be The Player's Lounge in Fairview, Anthony Stokes owns it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement