Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mess in Woodquay

Options
  • 28-01-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

On my way into work this morning I drove through Woodquay where most of the waste bags that were left out for collection, were thrown out on the road. A sliver Galway co. co. footpath bin was also toppled over onto the road. Any CCTV cameras in the area?

Flowers dumped from the flower beds on the Headford Road (across from Dunne’s).

Yesterday on my way home from work I saw the same damaged caused to the flower beds near the Spanish Arch.

A lot of suits in town last night. Was there a grad on?

This really pisses me off about our city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately a part of having fun for some people is to make things less fun for others. When they're drunk they feel like tossing things about, because they can.
    I blame alcohol, youth, parents and society in that order.

Same with all the bins knocked over in Eyre Square recently.. So annoyin to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Commerce ball was on last night which may explain the suits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Anyone ever notice that every bin in Eyre Sq. seems to get knocked over on certain nights the week?

Really beginning to annoy me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think all students who attend NUIG and GMIT should have to spend a certain amount of hours per semister doing volunteer work around galway city. It wouldn't be seen as a punishment as every student would be required to do it. I believe that if student had to clean up the mess other students make that they would't be so keen to trash the place themselves. It would also bring a more community athmosphere to galway as local people would see a different side to the student population. A positive for students would be that it could be added to their CV, and the house could be done in their free time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thats BS.

Why would I, a former student of NUIG who didnt drink, have to clean up after people(probably students, but not nessecarily) who were acting the bollox?

Sure at that rate why dont we make all smokers sweep the streets?

JJayoo wrote: »
    I think all students who attend NUIG and GMIT should have to spend a certain amount of hours per semister doing volunteer work around galway city. It wouldn't be seen as a punishment as every student would be required to do it. I believe that if student had to clean up the mess other students make that they would't be so keen to trash the place themselves. It would also bring a more community athmosphere to galway as local people would see a different side to the student population. A positive for students would be that it could be added to their CV, and the house could be done in their free time.

I have tried to write four different replies to this post but just can't get my point across whatsoever..

Instead, I'll use these three emoticons.. :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

I don't care if I get banned for this: YOU'RE A CLOWN

Now, a GOOD idea would be to get people on the dole (who are not actively seeking work)/prisoners to clean the streets

wow haha, so i take it none of ye do any volunteering work at all in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Now, a GOOD idea would be to get people on the dole (who are not actively seeking work)/prisoners to clean the streets

It would be hard prove this...

I used to get people come into my work, dressed inappropriately for someone looking for a job, asking for a signature or something to say that they had been here looking for a job.

It's a debate for another day and another forum though I think.

• Advertisement

I think the people who are insluting me, keyboard warriors:rolleyes:, missed the point. I wasn't saying that students would have to clean up the mess that certain idiots make, this cleaning is done at hlaf 6 each morning by the city cleaners (finish work at 7am and see the good job these lads do).

I just meant that volunteering should be introduced, and if some of that
    comprises of picking some litter every now and then so what. The local centers are crying out for people to join. For example students in estates could help older neibhours get their shopping, and simple things like this help build a bit of community spirit, and inturn people would have more respect for where they live instead of some random house they rent for a few months.

wow haha, so i take it none of ye do any volunteering work at all in galway.

I do quite a lot actually, including fundraising.

You don't know me, don't make assumptions.

People are paid to clean up rubbish, why should a student be made to do it for free ffs?

I think the people who are insluting me, keyboard warriors:rolleyes:

Tell me where you live and i'll say it to your face.

You worded something very badly, insinuating that students should be out cleaning up the streets. College students who actually study can have ZERO free time between college and part-time work to pay their way.

A great idea is the Gaise which I done in transition year when there was nothing else for doing. I can just imagine you now though demanding that a final year student who is stressing to try and get their dissertation completed go out and volunteer for a few hours instead of college work

For example students in estates could help older neibhours get their shopping, and simple things like this help build a bit of community spirit, and inturn people would have more respect for where they live instead of some random house they rent for a few months.

I can see what your saying but most people don't have the motivation do to this sort of thing. You do but people like myself don't.. I didn't cause trouble as a student and I didn't help anything either. That's enough imo.

So many contradictions in your posts

you say "You don't know me, don't make assumptions".

Yet you say about me
    "You worded something very badly, insinuating that students should be out cleaning up the streets"

Please Show me where i say this?? And as i stated in my next post all the street cleaning is done at half 6 in the morning.

You also say " can just imagine you now though demanding that a final year student who is stressing to try and get their dissertation completed go out and volunteer for a few hours instead of college work" D you know me?? No but its fine for you to make assumptions about me.

You state how much volunteering you do yet complain why should a student do it for free, and as i stated the student can put this on their CV, which can be very important. I started doing volunteering just to get it on my CV.

I called you an internet warrior because you called me a CLOWN , others thought my post was crap, but they didn't insult me. If a person randomly came up to me in the street and shouted that i was a clown i wouldn't be very happy.

It amazes me,a thread originaly about antisocial behaviour, and i end up getting insulted and threathened by someone who wants to insult me to my face. Last time someone asked me where i lived was when i was threathend at work by a lad with a bottle.

If you really want to insult me to my face, and want to know where i live well then i think thats an issue that you have to deal with. Forums like this are meant to be a healthy way of sharing info and opinions. I don't come on here to be insulted or interrogated. I also don't cme on here with the attitude that i am better than anyone else or that my opinion carries more weight than anyone else. If you disagree then great, voice it, but please leave the name calling and attempts at intimadation behind

Ads by Google, i def get what you mean. Im not one to get drunk, i wud have a few drinks but dont see any point in getting wasted, yet when i finish work sometimes at 11 i have to walk through the college on my way home and the amount of abuse i get because im on my own is just crazy.

In the last month i have been in 3 proper fights on my way home, haven't been hurt thankfully,all because drink fueled idiots see one sober person as a target to mess with.

I understand that the majority shouldn't have to pay for the acts of a few tools. I have a few friends in california, and they have a volunteering programme in their university. the hours clocked up count towards their grades, So instead of being in the libary they are out helping out and get rewarded for it. It was prob from this idea that i originally posted.

I just feel student towns are full of strangers who feel no connection to the place and have no respect. They would never get away or try the same crap in their local town,speaking from a small town point of view,

Buts thats life i suspose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think the people who are insluting me, keyboard warriors:rolleyes:, missed the point. I wasn't saying that students would have to clean up the mess that certain idiots make, this cleaning is done at hlaf 6 each morning by the city cleaners (finish work at 7am and see the good job these lads do).

I just meant that volunteering should be introduced, and if some of that
    comprises of picking some litter every now and then so what. The local centers are crying out for people to join. For example students in estates could help older neibhours get their shopping, and simple things like this help build a bit of community spirit, and inturn people would have more respect for where they live instead of some random house they rent for a few months.

Would tell me to my face that you thought i should be forced to clean the streets? is that not the definition of a keyboard warrior, saying something behind a keyboard that the wouldnt say to your face? The answer you'd get if you made your suggestion to me face to face would be far less pleasent!

What i do with my free time is my concern and my concern only, If i volunteer it will be a voluntry decision not one that is forced on me!
    I started doing volunteering just to get it on my CV.

How noble of you!

I just feel student towns are full of strangers who feel no connection to the place and have no respect. They would never get away or try the same crap in their local town,speaking from a small town point of view,

O contrare! I find Limerick and Galway to be the friendliest and most welcoming cities i've ever been in. Everyone having a welcoming attitude to everyone including "outsiders" is surely showing your town the greatest respect it deserves. I really enjoyed my time in Galway and always speak fondly of it to whoever asks. And again to reiterate the point others made, how do you know what individual students contribute to the City?

So if i told you my opinion you would be p1ssed? even though its just an opinion? Have you ever had a conversation before? Is a conversation not just a series of opinions from the different people involved?

I said keyboard warrior because the other poster was insulting me by calling me a CLOWN. Giving an opinion isnt being a keyboard warrior. Other posters said they disagreed but they didnt insult me.

In my posts i was never stating facts only giving an opinion.
    How noble of you

Talk about taking things out of context, another poster made the point that students shouldn't have to do volunteering for free. I made the point that volunteering is a valuable thing to have on a CV and that it would help them after college, so from this point of view students might be keen.
    just feel student towns are full of strangers who feel no connection to the place and have no respect. They would never get away or try the same crap in their local town,speaking from a small town point of view

once again this was my opinion, i wasn't pushing it on anyone, and of course you are entitled to your opinion but why say
    how do you know what individual students contribute to the City

When did i state i did?

Another poster insults me, and asks where i live because he wants to come to my house and insult me to my face, and i get told off by the mod:confused:

Infraction given for this. No need to get all insulty just because you don't agree with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

I think all students who attend NUIG and GMIT should have to spend a certain amount of hours per semister doing volunteer work around galway city.

Surely volunteering should be voluntary!

• Advertisement

People do we really have nothing better to do than dissect a post i made while on my lunch break from work:pac:. lets just forget i posted to begin with :)

I started doing volunteering just to get it on my CV.

You had me until this line. Lines like that sicken me... being all high and mighty about volunteering, and then to find out that you're doing it for nothing but your own benefit. You clearly state you volunteer ONLY for your own benefit. I volunteer because there's people less fortunate than me, and when I fundraise I normally go through either physical pain or make an eejit of myself - no pride in that and no gain, so get of your flippin' high horse

The word "started" is key here. I have been doing volunteering for past 5 years in one form or another. As a first year arts student i though it would be something good to add to a CV in future years.

My high horse, coming from you, this actually made me burst out laughing, and the sentence you quoted was used to emphasis the fact that a typical student could actuall get something out of it.

A few moments ago you were getting upset over the fact that someone would have to do something for free
    people are paid to clean up rubbish, why should a student be made to do it for free ffs?

and now your saying it makes you sick that someone might add volunteering to a cv:rolleyes:

Plus absolutly no action is a selfless action, everything is done to gain some sense of self worth or to feel good about ones self
    You clearly state you volunteer ONLY for your own benefit.

How does this sentence even make sense, lol what am i volunteering to paint my own house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

...................anyways.

Woodquay was nice and clean this morning (@6am). The point is that no one should have to clean it up. I'd love it, I'd just love it (quote King Kev) if them muppets that caused all the damage were caught. Name and shame the lot.

You had me until this line. Lines like that sicken me... being all high and mighty about volunteering, and then to find out that you're doing it for nothing but your own benefit. You clearly state you volunteer ONLY for your own benefit. I volunteer because there's people less fortunate than me, and when I fundraise I normally go through either physical pain or make an eejit of myself - no pride in that and no gain, so get of your flippin' high horse
    I wouldn't be so fast to judge, the end result is the same anyway which gains the poor and unfortunate. Not everyone has the same initials as Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Thats BS.

The answer you'd get if you made your suggestion to me face to face would be far less pleasent!QUOTE]

Tell me where you live and i'll say it to your face. -john Cleary

Cant believe the amount of abuse the poster JJayoo gets for his suggestion. If you don't agree with it there are better ways of saying so.
    I don't either but don't see the need to make it personal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnCleary viewpost.gif

As original as it is,:)I don't think the above idea would work for a number of reasons .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

The council workers who currently get paid to do this might disagree.

No matter what else the council do/don't do: the street-maintenance folks are great, IMHO. I live in town, so see what the streets are like when I go home at night, and what they're like when I re-appear in the mornings.

A better idea would be that businesses whose clients make a mess of the streets should be responsible for cleaning it. I'm sending a particular glare at Halo right now..... though I'm not sure they're worse than the others. (And yes, I do remember being a 16 year old McD's worker, being sent outside to pick up our rubbish from around the mall. Wasn't fun. Was "character building".)

And a few of the muppets who overturn rubbish bins should get convicted. Once the word got around that you really can get a conviction, and that this will disqualify you from a number of possible careers and travel destinations, I think the behaviour would improve. Sure it's a bit tough on the unfortunates who get done, but someone has to, and there are simply too many to convict them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

unJustMary wrote: »
    The council workers who currently get paid to do
    simply too many to convict them all.

Finally some sense to this thread. :)

What do you suppose a judge will sentence a student to after they have knocked over a few bins? I'd wager it would be community service!

There will always be a minority of students that do this kinda crap. Back when I was a student it was a group going around robbing other students houses. They were caught, punished and not very popular afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Jaysus!

Vandalism is Vandalism (there are degrees of it)

Burglary is Burglary. They (generally) have sentences attached.

We seem to think that a 'student' breaking into a house is for the craic, and it's a lesser thing. It's no different to any other home violation. Student can be looking for money for both kinds of craic just like the next person!

Just like a conviction has a knock on effect to jobs, perhaps it can apply to college marks. Having to repeat a year at a reduced grant rate might put things into perspective.

NOT saying this vandalism is all done by students though, but on certain nights, you could say it's more likely.

On the volunteering front, lots of people do it to put on their CV. Generally they choose something that they'd like to do, or a cause they believe with, to begin with, and often stay a volunteer way past when it would be 'of any personal benefit'. There is nothing wrong doing something for more than one reason imo!

Yeah, fair play to the morning cleanup lads. They'd put some of the other litter 'crews' in the council to shame!

• Advertisement

Train-wreck of a thread.. Can we all just agree to leave Woodquay alone in future?

Advertisement