Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how does the atom processor compare with celeron

Options
  • 28-01-2010 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

how do the atom 270/280 netbook processors compare with the basic celeron processors that are on the entry level laptops in the stores atm

would i be better off with an entry level laptop than a netbook assuming their size is not a drawback
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Even if the clock speeds were identical, the Celeron M would be sigificantly faster. Its just a different architecture.

For example a 900MHz Celeron M is faster than the 1.6GHz Atom.

As for the question of whether you would be better off with a netbook or a laptop, well that just leads to a dozen more questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

thanks, i want something thats suitable for music downloads and with a good sound system, movies and football matches and some openoffice work like speadsheets.

also id like it to have good connectivity options and reasonable battery life

im not sure if the atom will allow you to watch a streamed football match or if its suitable for you tube videos etc.

the machine i have atm is an old banger that cant even play youtube vids so i need to get something soon.

the celeron machines seem to have a very bad battery life. i checked the cheaper models in pcworld like advent and compaq but battery life is very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you'relooking for good sounds from the speakers of a netbook, you're just not going to get it no matter what you buy. Speakers on most laptops are very poor.
    It all depends on what you need really, if this is going to be your primary machine, i'd probably go for a "laptop" over a netbook. It will also depend on how mobile you need to be, will the netbook be in your bag at all times and used on the go? Or will you be at a desk most of the time?
    The latest atom processors should handle videos better than the previous generation, but they are only startign to filter out now.

So in short, we need to know
    Budget?
    Screen size?

If you want something thats 10", a secondary machine, very portable, and has a long battery life i'd go for a netbook. They're great for that kind of use.

Genuinely I wouldn't buy one as a main system. If you need for something for organising your music, watching movies, doing office work, get a proper laptop. You can get a grand one these days for €450 upwards - forget about the crap in PC World, have a look online and you'll find something much more decent. You don't even need to go with a crappy single-core Celeron, you can now get a basic dual-core machine for that kind of money.

budget is 500max and thats pushing it.

my current pc runs windows 2000 and has 128ram. its torture tryin to do anything on it so i guess i need a desktop replacement.

i didnt know that a netbook would not be suitable for a main system. i thought it was just a smaller slower version of the laptop. how limited are they exactly

whats wrong with pcworld btw

i travel from time to time so need something that i can bring with me that doesnt weigh too much and has good connectivity and battery life.

the cheaper 15inches seem to have poor battery and skimp on connectivity. thats why i was considering netbooks as battery and connectivity are really good on almost all models. didnt realise their power would be so low though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well there will be a compromise, more battery life will usually mean less processing power, or more weight. But if it were me, i'd look at getting a 13" machine over a 10" netbook. It'd be more usable as a primary machine as the 10" screens can be a pain to look at after a while. And it should be more powerful too.

estreetb wrote: »

i didnt know that a netbook would not be suitable for a main system. i thought it was just a smaller slower version of the laptop. how limited are they exactly
    Well, you said it. Smaller and slower. Do you really want to use something slow, with a 10" screen, no optical drive and a small keyboard as your MAIN system? I mean, netbooks are great little machines if you have a laptop or desktop already, but if it is going to be your only system, I just don't think they are a great idea.
    whats wrong with pcworld btw
    You're on a tight budget. And PCWorld generally don't offer the best value. The two things just don't go well together. If it was the choice between getting a basic dual-core system online for €500, or some useless laptop in PC World with an old single-core Celeron, i'd go for the former.
    i travel from time to time so need something that i can bring with me that doesnt weigh too much and has good connectivity and battery life.

the cheaper 15inches seem to have poor battery and skimp on connectivity. thats why i was considering netbooks as battery and connectivity are really good on almost all models. didnt realise their power would be so low though
    Well, there are 'in-between' systems nowadays also. They offer more performance (and bigger screens/keyboards) than a netbook, but better battery life than a full-powered laptop. Often in the 13" and 14" range. Check the Dell Inspiron 13z, or some of the Acer Timeline series.

great stuff, thanks lads

need to get something as it takes me forever to just reply here using my pc

Advertisement