Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help roundabouts confuse me

• 28-01-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

Ok i've just started learning to drive and im having lessons but i'm having a bit of a problem with roundabouts i can't seem to understand them i kinda dont know which way to go when i indicate left or right when i come to one so i've been doing some reading and i'm wondering am i right in thinking that i only indicate left when i'm taking the first exit or going straight through it and indicate right when i'm taking the 3rd exit or going all around?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

1st exit: Indicate left approaching roundabout and take 1st exit

2nd exit(straight on); Don't indicate on approach as your not turning. Indicate before exit to show your leaving roundabout.

3rd exit: Indicate right on approach to roundabout, and right around, then left before exit.

Hope this helps, its gets easier believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kat151283

thanks for explaining that to me i get it now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Remember, if there's two lanes, the one on the left is for turning left and going straight, the one on the right is for right turn only, unless otherwise stated with road markings.
    But don't worry, you'll soon realise that nobody in Ireland knows this ;)

And once you get your licence don't indicate, it'll give away your next move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

imagine the roundabout as a clock face. You approach from 6. If the 'straight on' exit is after 12 then you should be in the right hand lane on approach.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Personally, I hate the whole system of 1st, 2nd... exits.. it's confusing as sometimes the 2nd exit is a right turn, and people get in the left lane because it's the '2nd exit'.

As the above poster said, imagine the roundabout as a clock. Any exits before 12 o clock (e.g. a left turn), approach in the left hand lane and indicate left on approach. An exit that is at the 12 o clock (ie straight through) approach in the left lane, but don't indicate! Any exits are 12 o clock, approach in the right hand lane and indicate right.

Remember, if you going straight on, keep in the left lane the whole way through the roundabout (a more common mistake than you might think).

I also have a question. If you approaching a roundabout and want to come back the way you came (usually the 4th exit!) do you approach in the right lane and not indicate, or do you indicate right?

Right lane, indicating right all the way round, then indicate left before your exit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I found it helpful to think of the roundabout as a junction. If turning left, indicate left. If going straight, don't indicate on approach (but indicate left when coming off the roundabout), if turning right indicate turning right.

As regards lanes as I understand it according to the rules of the road you can in fact use the left or inside lane when going straight, you use the left lane when turning left, you use the inside lane when turning right. Where the turns are not at 9:00, 12:00, 3:00 you do as Timbuk said (a turn before 12:00 is a left turn, a turn after 12:00 is a right turn).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

For most roundabouts the 'clock face' thing is a good way to think about it.

You enter at 6, if there are two lanes on approach and you are leaving the roundabout at anything up to and including 12, stay in the outside (left) lane.

If you are leaving the roundabout after 12, approach on the inner (right) lane.

Indicate only before you make the turn (and in good time) and at no other time - unless you are changing lanes.

Edit: Oops gooch has basically said this...

• Advertisement
Advertisement