Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout in Ballybrit Ind Est

Options
  • 28-01-2010 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Every morning, the amount of drivers coming off this roundabout into Ballybrit Ind estate as fast as they can.........
    Lad in an Audi this morning, must have been doing over 50mph nearly...then had to break so hard as someone had pulled out of side road coming from McDonaghs direction etc.
    Thought the back of the Audi was gonna lift he was braking so hard.....
    I don't get what the point of flying in this road is........You know cars are pulling out from a standstill.........it is rush hour like.......plus you aint gonna be held up that bad once you're off the roundabout.........!!:confused:

Never felt the need to race into work that hard myself......;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,994 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

coup1917 wrote: »
    it is rush hour like
    That's why they're rushing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

The amount of people in Galway who cant use roundabouts is crazy. I'd say every second time I use one I encounter someone who uses it incorrectly. Two that drive me cracked are:

Using the left lane as you approach the roundabout to take the 3 exit off the roundabout. This drives me feckin nuts. Menlo park roundabout is the worst. Cops could have a field day handing out fines here.

People entering the roundabout on the right lane and exiting on the left lane on the opposite side. This is nearly a given with 50% of motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

That's why they're rushing! ;)

Ya fair enough....But there's rushing and then there's looking for a crash
    Just don't think there is anything to be gained by flying into that junction at high speed.......Have seen so many crashes there...Would rather get in a minute later than have to hang around sorting insurance out and waiting for a squad car to arrive.......Now that would put ya in bad form for the day...........

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

And no indicators so everybody can develop their telepathic powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

have to agree about people not knowing how to use roundabouts. Every morning cars coming from carnmore side in left hand lane taking 3rd exit onto the duel carriage way. Then you get the odd gob****e coming from partmore in the right lane and taking the first exit on the roundabout cuttin you completly off. I swear some time i will keep going get hit and take them for all they are worth.:mad:

Oh ya don't get me started on indicators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

There are also driving who do know the rules of the raod but still try to still a march on everyone else.

Example - on the cemetery cross roundabout cars coming up the Tuam Road and using the Botharmore exit. The correct lane is on the left hand side, But there is usually more traffic backed up on this lane so drivers tend to use to right hand side lane and then pull into the Botharmore exit. Keep an eye out for this. (**same point as the post above but these drivers know well what there at**)

I never had any problems on the Ballybrit roundabout (yet) but I agree with your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

darrenh wrote: »
    The amount of people in Galway who cant use roundabouts is crazy. I'd say every second time I use one I encounter someone who uses it incorrectly. Two that drive me cracked are:

Using the left lane as you approach the roundabout to take the 3 exit off the roundabout. This drives me feckin nuts. Menlo park roundabout is the worst. Cops could have a field day handing out fines here.

People entering the roundabout on the right lane and exiting on the left lane on the opposite side. This is nearly a given with 50% of motorists.

This is so true. It is not so bad if you are in a car, but I used to have a motorbike, that is when it becomes really interesting (2 very near misses due to the above). I have 9 KM to drive to work ending up in said roundabout and it has to be one of the most dangerous driving experience west of Baghdad. How hard can it be?

It's all down to the L-plate system and that you drive on the left side. My theory is that since the right (creative) side of the brain controls the left hand (that changes gears & indicates), all creativity goes in to the gear change, this is why you find people in second gear in the right lane on the dual carriageway.

You could argue that the left (brain) side controls the right arm that most frequently controls the wheel and is supposed to be rational & analytical but since it is mainly used for texting, smoking or holding the phone while driving that is not a valid argument. Even when it does control the wheel, it is so confused by the fact that the gear is wrong and the indicator is on all the time that it is paralyzed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

When I did my test, I was told to exit into the left lane (as this is the driving lane, right lane is for overtaking) UNLESS someone is on your left side forcing you into the right lane.

I agree with you coup1917 about the Ballybrit roundabout - nuts. But I think it stems from the fact that anyone coming off the roundabout into Ballybrit 'has to beat' the Tuam road traffic that tries to 'jump' onto the roundabout.
    The amount of Tuam road traffic that pulls out in front of roundabout traffic is crazy. Can't understand why someone hasn't been T-Boned there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I agree. The other one that annoys me are some of the drivers coming in the headford road onto the bodkin roundabout at Tesco. When the lights go red, a lot of cars just keep going, blocking anyone coming from the quincentenary bridge direction. Particularly bad in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Light2010

See article from the Irish Examiner:
    Monday, January 26, 2009 :

30% of instructors fail driving theory test exam

THREE out of 10 professional driving instructors failed the Driver Theory Test in recent exams designed to test their suitability to work in the industry.

Figures provided by the Road Safety Authority also show that a fifth of driving instructors failed an extended version of the standard driving test taken by all learner drivers.

Although the high failure rate among driving instructors in exams similar to those taken by their pupils may raise concerns about safety and training standards, the authority claims the results highlight the need for overdue regulation of the industry.

The Irish Examiner has learnt that more than 28% of driving instructors failed the Driver Theory Test, which examines their basic knowledge of the rules of the road, as well as general road safety and driving instruction matters. In addition, 20% of applicants did not pass the required standard in a longer and more comprehensive version of the basic driving test.

Most of the estimated 2,500 driving instructors in the Republic are sitting a three-part exam introduced by the authority to create a register of Approved Driving Instructors. Failure rates on the third part of the test — instruction ability — are quite low, according to the authority.

From May 1 next, it will be a criminal offence for anyone to seek payment for driving lessons unless they are listed on the ADI register. The establishment of the register is one of the key elements of the Government’s Road Safety Strategy and is designed to standardise the quality of driving tuition and improve road safety.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MargeS wrote: »
    I agree with you coup1917 about the Ballybrit roundabout - nuts. But I think it stems from the fact that anyone coming off the roundabout into Ballybrit 'has to beat' the Tuam road traffic that tries to 'jump' onto the roundabout.
    The amount of Tuam road traffic that pulls out in front of roundabout traffic is crazy. Can't understand why someone hasn't been T-Boned there!

They have :D

I used to deal with the Tuam road traffic by

1. Coming up from Ballybane
    2. Entering roundabout ( when safe) and with beams on pointing at Tuam road traffic and then driving straight at them more or less
    3. Indicating left just as I got to them
    4. Quick right left flick and I was on my way into Ballybrit ind est.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

try being a pedestrian crossing near a roundabout in galway. it's like a real life version of frogger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

coup1917 wrote: »
    Every morning, the amount of drivers coming off this roundabout into Ballybrit Ind estate as fast as they can.........
    Lad in an Audi this morning, must have been doing over 50mph nearly...then had to break so hard as someone had pulled out of side road coming from McDonaghs direction etc.
    Thought the back of the Audi was gonna lift he was braking so hard.....
    I don't get what the point of flying in this road is........You know cars are pulling out from a standstill.........it is rush hour like.......plus you aint gonna be held up that bad once you're off the roundabout.........!!:confused:

Never felt the need to race into work that hard myself......;)

I'll rush if i'm in a hurry, and if someone cannot take off in a timely manner thats their fault.. They should only pull away if safe to do so... Bloody Sunday drivers, I hate the lot of them...

now that should get ye talkin....

MargeS wrote: »
    When I did my test, I was told to exit into the left lane (as this is the driving lane, right lane is for overtaking) UNLESS someone is on your left side forcing you into the right lane.

I would think that the right hand lane on dual carriage ways within city limits(i.e. 50kph Zones) is not for overtaking necessarily. It is more to do with traffic flow. If I stay in the right hand lane and do 50kph am I obliged to pull into the left lane if someone is coming faster behind me even if I need to use the right lane when exiting the roundabout.

Also.... Two cars leave a one side of a roundabout together. One in the left lane, one in the right. The both intend on using the second exit which also has a left and right lane. Should the car in the right hand then try and cut into the left lane? This makes no sense. There is no way (i can be corrected) when driving on the inside lane of a roundabout you should leave it by taking the outside lane. Maybe he/she meant after leaving the roundabout, check your mirrors and then see if it is safe to move into the left lane.

There are also too many blind spots for you to see if there is a car trying to go into the left lane. I see it all the time with cars cutting other cars and setting of a chain of loud beeps.

The more I think about the above quote it doesn't make sense. If everyone followed it there would be crashes every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

The exception to the quote is if there are lane-markings which say otherwise - and there are on lots of RAB's in the city.

The magic roundabout gets my vote for most-in-need-of-replacement, because of the sheer volume of traffic.

The Morris roundabout (ie at Ballybrit ind. estate) is 2nd, because there are two of Galway's biggest employers in there (+ various smaller but still significant ones), virtually no alternative entrances (you can go in via Ballybane estate, but the exit from it is almost at the roundabout anyway), and only two bus-services in and out each day.

IMHO any roundabout that has a dual-carriageway at any entrance/exit should have to have a pedestrian overbridge as well. (Not a subway, they're dark places that make people scared of being mugged if they use 'em.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The one roundabout that should definitely be flattened is the one on Bohermore (Topaz petrol station). It's an abosolute nightmare, cause people just don't know which lanes to use for which exit. It's always blocked, too tight, and I really don't know how pedestrians get around there (and there's a school - will somedoy think about the children?!)

Oh, and hi to the little sh*t in his 03 Opel who cut me off by taking the wrong exit lane at that roundabout this morning. Giving me the fingers every time you see me in your rear view mirror is a really mature response. Especially when you're in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

unJustMary wrote: »
    IMHO any roundabout that has a dual-carriageway at any entrance/exit should have to have a pedestrian overbridge as well. (Not a subway, they're dark places that make people scared of being mugged if they use 'em.)

yeah but can you imagine the muppetry that would occur with an overbridge? throwing bricks and rocks onto cars and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

You're right ... an overbridge would need to have very strong, see-through materials cover it over (think like the plastic or toughened glass pedestrian walkways you see overseas).

Ironically, the Topaz RAB isn't so bad for pedestrians, because the traffic isn't usually moving too fast, and the lanes are narrow so it's easy to get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I would think that the right hand lane on dual carriage ways within city limits(i.e. 50kph Zones) is not for overtaking necessarily. It is more to do with traffic flow. If I stay in the right hand lane and do 50kph am I obliged to pull into the left lane if someone is coming faster behind me even if I need to use the right lane when exiting the roundabout.

No, if you are in a 50kph zone you are not allowed to go over that limit, whichever lane you are in. (Obviously, I know that a lot of people break the limit, but you are perfectly entitled not to.) The correct lane when approaching a roundabout is, as you say, determined by the exit you want to take, it's not about overtaking.
    Also.... Two cars leave a one side of a roundabout together. One in the left lane, one in the right. The both intend on using the second exit which also has a left and right lane. Should the car in the right hand then try and cut into the left lane? This makes no sense. There is no way (i can be corrected) when driving on the inside lane of a roundabout you should leave it by taking the outside lane. Maybe he/she meant after leaving the roundabout, check your mirrors and then see if it is safe to move into the left lane.

There are also too many blind spots for you to see if there is a car trying to go into the left lane. I see it all the time with cars cutting other cars and setting of a chain of loud beeps.

If the exit has two lanes, then you don't need to cross to the outside lane, but if you are exiting by an exit with only one lane then you would, of course. It is quite proper to move to the outside lane to exit, that is how roundabouts are supposed to work. It depends on people signalling, using mirrors, and on people in the outside lane letting you out.

The one that gets me most is the 'magic' roundabout, coming from Dunnes and turning left over the bridge. I end up in the correct (left-hand) lane and there are nearly always cars coming from the cathedral side edging over the line into my lane so that I have to execute a last-minute move to the next lane over to avoid them. But at least that roundabout has lights. The worst one I know for actually getting onto the roundabout when it is busy is if you are coming from NUIG/hospital up Newcastle road and want to cross the Quincentennial bridge, when all the traffic is coming across the bridge towards Westside. They could use lights there so everyone gets their turn, or at least yellow boxes (if only people could be relied upon to use them properly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Excellent, another thread about gobshite Galway drivers.

Folk reckon there is a high percentage of drivers not knowing how to use a roundabout, I'd tend to disagree with that.
    It's down to pure utter ignorance. They know they can take that 3rd exit from the left lane of the roundabout, because there's no one there to catch them.

People get into their car and they think they are invincible.
    People get into their car and they are obsessed in getting in front of that car ahead of them.
    I use the roundabout at Dunnes in Briarhill everyday and everyday I see some gobshite doin' somethin' stupid.

There was an accident a few Friday's ago on that Briarhill roundabout, from looking at it some dumbass pulled out in front of a truck and got milled.

The worst thing I see on a road, is drivers coming up to a T-junction to turn left, don't stop, just fly around the corner on the hard shoulder. It's just a matter of time I'll see a cyclist/pedestrian/broken down car getting rammed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Clearly galway drivers drive like they're playing need for speed, so the solution must be to have a single lane road to and from each destination where no one could pass out or mess up their lane choices, undertake, etc....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I've gotten used to inconsiderate, technically deficient and sometimes dangerous drivers. But I was still pretty shocked when a CIE bus mounted the kerb to get onto the buslane opposite GMIT. Nearly took the wing off my car trying to squeeze by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why is the traffic crazy today? Whizzing past them on my bicycle, I notice the majority of them tend to be single occupant vehicles
    I mean it's not as though there is anything happening this weekend like say the Rally or the Novena

DeadSkin wrote: »
    The worst thing I see on a road, is drivers coming up to a T-junction to turn left, don't stop, just fly around the corner on the hard shoulder. It's just a matter of time I'll see a cyclist/pedestrian/broken down car getting rammed.

That drives me f-in nuts. Seriously nuts. It's so f**kin dangerous. It is a blatant disregard for other peoples lives. It happens loads on the N17.

Advertisement