Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Core i3 from Aldi.. will take a Core i7 in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I don't know what motherboard is in that PC but assuming its a fairly normal run of the mill job then you should be able to upgrade, only to a processor of the same socket type though.
    That Aldi PC has an Intel i3-530 so you can only only upgrade to processors from the "LGA 1156" range. Heres a list of of LGA 1156 processors.

zod wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055811423

I assume no issues replacing the processor if u wanted to in the future ?

By the time you get around to needing more power than the i3 there will be a whole range of new 32nm chips out and new sockets so i doubt it will be a consideration. Unless of course you use extremely cpu intensive apps in which case you should be getting an i5 or i7 now instead of an i3. But yeah it will take any socket 1156 cpu's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

david7536 wrote: »
    By the time you get around to needing more power than the i3 there will be a whole range of new 32nm chips out and new sockets so i doubt it will be a consideration. Unless of course you use extremely cpu intensive apps in which case you should be getting an i5 or i7 now instead of an i3. But yeah it will take any socket 1156 cpu's.

How long do you think the 1156 socket CPUs will be available to buy ? (very roughly)

Intel will probably keep manufacturing for the 1156 socket for around 5 years give or take 2 years. You asked for rough ;) They manufactured P4 CPU's for around 8 years but that spanned across a few different sockets I think. Even if they discontinued socket 1156 two years from now you would still be able to pick up second hand CPU's for a long time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Hi all ye Tech nerds..
    Q.
    Will the Aldi offer on Feb 4th be good enough for video editing.

Mentioned the ALDI offering to a store person in Harvey Norman to-night and was offered a HP with as good if not better Spec (64 bit) for Eu100 less than instore offer price of Eu 699.

All advice welcome

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

lionela wrote: »
    Hi all ye Tech nerds..
    Q.
    Will the Aldi offer on Feb 4th be good enough for video editing.

Mentioned the ALDI offering to a store person in Harvey Norman to-night and was offered a HP with as good if not better Spec (64 bit) for Eu100 less than instore offer price of Eu 699.

All advice welcome

Thanks

64bit? What you mean by that? The Aldi one comes with Win7 which now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions under one licence.

Ok Buddy,

Got that.
    Question remains ...suitabillity for Video Editing ???

Can you post up the details for the two PC's, we can then compare them

hI AGAIN,

Will pay another visit to H/N Sat am and get full details of Spec.
    Will post you after that.

Thanks again

Advertisement