Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Camera Prices in Dublin

• 28-01-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Has anybody found the best price for a Canon EOS 7D or Canon EOS 5D MK II in Dublin/Ireland?

Conns Cameras are charging:
    Canon EOS 5D MK II €2399.99
    Canon EOS 7D €1699.99

I know you will get them cheaper outside the country but would prefer to buy in Ireland if I thought I wasn't getting completely ripped off!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just go to Gunns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Effects wrote: »
    Just go to Gunns

Gunns were charging €1650 for the 7D as far as I can remember ... but cant remember if that was body only or with kit lens.
    Jessops in Newry works out at just over €1500 for body only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

might sound stupid - but you get a better price the more you go into the shop and the more you buy stuff (over months/years).

I get a good deal in Conns - but have been told by other photographers what deal they have...or how much they bought "X" or "Y" for ....and they get a better deal than me.

Gunns is definately the best shop in Dublin for advice and are more open to negotiations on price....but I find the shop too small - not enough space to browse....with Conns I walk in and around and then I get the new sales guys "are you alright there - can I help you with anything?"

prices up north can save you a bundle, if you have a spare day or fancy a weekend away (;) ps. thats not an offer ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

TBH you'd save more money (and have a night weekend) if you hopped onto a plane to New York and bought it at B&H...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Jessops in Newry works out at just over €1500 for body only
    jessops possibly buy in bulk as part of the large group they are, and get significant discounts, but the camera shops in dublin aren't parts of big chains, and cannot tap into the size of deals that jessops can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I got my 7D 2 months ago on ebay for 1300 EUR and I think the prices have gone down since.

sasar wrote: »
    I got my 7D 2 months ago on ebay for 1300 EUR and I think the prices have gone down since.

Nice catch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

pixmania is probably cheaper no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

7D - Pixmania - €1445
    7D - BH - $1699 = €1207~

Savings arent really that big

Fenster wrote: »
    TBH you'd save more money (and have a night weekend) if you hopped onto a plane to New York and bought it at B&H...

B&H: €1947
    Conns: €2400

Get real, that's only €450 differance before you pay for flight, accomodation etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

7D on Ebay 1250 EUR including delivery (From UK, so no import tax)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

wholesale cost from a dealer in the republic (no VAT) on a canon 50mm 1.8 lens is almost exactly the same as amazon.co.uk retail price to everyone. wholesalers have to order from the UK then and the product comes later to you than amazon.co.uk's free shipping to Ireland. I really cannot understand why everything here is so much more expensive. even at wholesale costs with a VAT number.

I order from amazon.co.uk and ebay without a problem. also checkout ephotozine.co.uk for used listings in the forums. i just picked up a like NEW 24-105mm 4L lens for £350 from a listing. this lens is at least €900 here new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

B&H: €1947
    Conns: €2400

Get real, that's only €450 differance before you pay for flight, accomodation etc.
    Not to mention the tax the OP would be liable for when re-entering the country with said equipment. Unless, of course, Fenster is encouraging the OP to not declare the items i.e evade VAT, which is a crime obviously and isn't advocated anywhere on Boards.

Sometimes people need to think before they hit "post" when participating on forums.

I've no problem with bringing camera gear home from the states and not delclaring it. So what if it's the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I've no problem with bringing camera gear home from the states and not delclaring it. So what if it's the law.

Clearly, the law is not The Pope of you.

I don't really understand that statement to be honest. What does something being the pope of me even mean. Bear in mind I'm not a christian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Fenster wrote: »

I agree with you, Holiday Inn about $30-50 a night. You get to see a bit of N.Y and use your new camera. Trips advertised from flights and 3 nights for less than €600

While I am not advocating evading Tax a lot of people are sick being ripped off. You can call it what you want but we are being screwed into the ground day in day out. Cant understand why a few shops cant join forces and deal direct with camera companies. But would they all pass on the savings?

I like buying things in Dublin when I can and particularly like Hall cameras on Talbot Street where I find their service second to none, but some things I want I can only dream about or buy outside the state.

I have spoke to numerous people who have bought gear outside Ireland and saved a packet of money. I have looked towards N.Y for some kit and hopefully next year will get there and get what I want.

Canon Eos 7d Body only Adaroma $1699 Dublin €1,699 Saving €475
    Canon 10-22 from $699- $799 Dublin €899 Saving €396
    Total savings on these 2 items is approx €871 = W/E in New York with pocket money and nice bottle of perfume for the understanding wife/partner. Most people going will probably bring some item home for a friend and I am sure they will contribute something towards cost of flight

LeoB wrote: »
    While I am not advocating evading Tax a lot of people are sick being ripped off.

You say this, and yet the rest of your post does exactly what you're claiming not to be doing in this sentence.
    You can call it what you want but we are being screwed into the ground day in day out. Cant understand why a few shops cant join forces and deal direct with camera companies. But would they all pass on the savings?

Sigh, jesus, if you don't know what you're talking about then you're best off just keeping your mouth shut tbh. Canon distribute through a central company here, that's how they operate, if stores want discounts then they've to order in bulk. Now, if people are heading off to the states because they feel they're being "ripped off" and can't understand why companies can't negotiate discounts, why would a company order items in sufficient bulk in order to avail of the discount, when there's apparently no demand for the items?

The very, very bottom line is that the majority of stores make their money on compacts and accessories for compacts and don't particularly care about SLR systems, nor will ever carry a sufficient enough stock to negotiate a significant discount. Unlike say, B&H, who have queues upon queues of people buying DSLR's and accessories, and getting huge discounts from suppliers as a result.

Why don't they get together and deal with the brands directly? Seriously? I'm not even going to bother with that one.
    I have looked towards N.Y for some kit and hopefully next year will get there and get what I want.

Canon Eos 7d Body only Adaroma $1699 Dublin €1,699 Saving €475
    Canon 10-22 from $699- $799 Dublin €899 Saving €396
    Total savings on these 2 items is approx €871 = W/E in New York with pocket money and nice bottle of perfume for the understanding wife/partner. Most people going will probably bring some item home for a friend and I am sure they will contribute something towards cost of flight

Er, that's not just advocating one person evading VAT, that's actively encouraging groups to. This is against the law. Why not just organise a group of Polish lads to rob a delivery truck on its way to Gunns and you'll save even more money!?

I know this is a relaxed photo forum but some of the posts in this thread are astoundingly ignorant and are more befitting of a Ladies Lounge off-topic thread than a forum where members are presumed to be of at least average intelligence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I really cannot understand why everything here is so much more expensive.
    well, people are comparing prices between a country of four and a half million people and a city of probably double that population. supply and demand. tax. demographics. it's not too hard to figure out why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

why don't people just buy from ebay or amazon?

canon distributors are making a mint from ignorance, and I am sure conns / gunns are making a decent profit too. its not like you don't know what a lens or camera does (by trying out other peoples on shoots) so why not order from the uk?

camerapricebuster.co.uk
    ebay.co.uk

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    You say this, and yet the rest of your post does exactly what you're claiming not to be doing in this sentence.

Sigh, jesus, if you don't know what you're talking about then you're best off just keeping your mouth shut tbh. Canon distribute through a central company here, that's how they operate, if stores want discounts then they've to order in bulk. Now, if people are heading off to the states because they feel they're being "ripped off" and can't understand why companies can't negotiate discounts, why would a company order items in sufficient bulk in order to avail of the discount, when there's apparently no demand for the items?

The very, very bottom line is that the majority of stores make their money on compacts and accessories for compacts and don't particularly care about SLR systems, nor will ever carry a sufficient enough stock to negotiate a significant discount. Unlike say, B&H, who have queues upon queues of people buying DSLR's and accessories, and getting huge discounts from suppliers as a result.

Why don't they get together and deal with the brands directly? Seriously? I'm not even going to bother with that one.

Er, that's not just advocating one person evading VAT, that's actively encouraging groups to. This is against the law. Why not just organise a group of Polish lads to rob a delivery truck on its way to Gunns and you'll save even more money!?

I know this is a relaxed photo forum but some of the posts in this thread are astoundingly ignorant and are more befitting of a Ladies Lounge off-topic thread than a forum where members are presumed to be of at least average intelligence.

I am of average intelligence and would never claim to be anything else but thank god I am not ignorant or pompous.

I cant see where I am encouraging people to evade tax I am stating facts as I see it. I compared the prices and posted my findings. The way I have laid out is exactly what people are doing if you cant see this you need to remove your hear from your the sand

We are being screwed into the ground and ripped off in many areas not just photography. I know from experience smaller retailers can by-pass the companies who import from manufacturer. While we have a small market I believe a concerted effort by shop owners with a little thought would see a price reduction. And btw I have wrote to some T.Ds and argued for a reduction in V.A.T which would be a help and which might encourage people to shop at home rather than force them to look elsewhere.

As for your point about organising a group of Polish lads on its way to Gunns, and you have the cheek to to talk about ignorance and pontificate about whats right. Hope we have no polish visitors to the forum

Ant then we see where you write about a relaxed forum, well you dont sound to relaxed. Do you work in Gunns? Or do you import the Canon gear? Now if you have calmed down read my post again and if any of it is factually incorrect I will ask mods to remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

who the hell declares goods for tax when coming back from overseas?!
    Ive never seen them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

who the hell declares goods for tax when coming back from overseas?!
    Ive never seen them

I've never even seen anyone working in the customs areas! Think they wait till flights from certain destinations come in.
    But e-bay for the win, I always buy there. I got my 40D and lens for almost half the price of shops in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

silverside wrote: »
    canon distributors are making a mint from ignorance,

They arent actually.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Dont know about the distributors making a mint from canon cameras, Canon are! last fridays times had an article that canon managed to double their profits in the last quarter of 2009 on camera sales alone whilst their copier business crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I've never even seen anyone working in the customs areas! Think they wait till flights from certain destinations come in.
    But e-bay for the win, I always buy there. I got my 40D and lens for almost half the price of shops in dublin.

The Dublin airport has a customs area ?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

silverside wrote: »
    why don't people just buy from ebay or amazon?

canon distributors are making a mint from ignorance, and I am sure conns / gunns are making a decent profit too. its not like you don't know what a lens or camera does (by trying out other peoples on shoots) so why not order from the uk?

camerapricebuster.co.uk
    ebay.co.uk

...an Irish retailer would be doing well to make about €50-€70 on your average 1000D or 500D sale,less if they start throwing in bags/memory etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15 totextra

Just looking at the range of prices...

7D Body Only - Including 21% VAT

EXPANSYS €1,319.99
    www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=187320

CONNS CAMERAS €1,699.99
    www.connscameras.ie/promotion/P-8714574542560pd.html

ELARA €1,706.10
    www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullft.asp?productcode=MME242P091

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stiophan

The reason the retailers do not deal direct is that our market is just tiny. They sell more SLRs in Wales than Ireland! Also bulk buy is harder when new cameras are being launched every 6-8 mths. Who wants the last model?
    The bad news is that if you buy in the usa the model is different, warranty ends as you board the plane and resale price when you next upgrade is a lot less than european ones. Also if there is a fault you will have to ship back the camera to Canon USA. CANON UK have a good refurb site online so worth looking for a good deal there and repaired by canon themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Just to remind everyone.
    Charter wrote:
    Tax & Customs

In regards to taxes, and importing gear from abroad, no discussing how to get your camera/camera gear into Ireland tax free...

It is illegal, and I don't particularly want Boards.ie being named for giving out info on anyone that will mark down items etc etc.

If I see any more threads asking how to get gear into Ireland without paying tax, I'll lock them.

Also to remind everyone, those nice NY prices were excluding New York City Tax. So while you maybe saving money are you really by the time you factor in Flights, Accommodation, Cab Fares/Subway etc. are you really making that much of a saving.

I'm all for shopping around I encourage it. Have a chat with Conns/Gunns/Dublin Camera Exchange & see if you can't do some sort of deal to get something free. There's no harm in chancing your arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

people are defending canon

so if camera equipment is much cheaper in the UK and online (particularly lenses/flashes which have worldwide warranty AFAIK)

and canon arent making a lot
    and conn's arent making a lot

where does all the difference go?

Rb wrote: »
    Not to mention the tax the OP would be liable for when re-entering the country with said equipment. Unless, of course, Fenster is encouraging the OP to not declare the items i.e evade VAT, which is a crime obviously and isn't advocated anywhere on Boards.

Sometimes people need to think before they hit "post" when participating on forums.

I'm not advocating anything but a mid-week (savings savings..) visit to New York City, New York City being one of the great cultural and shopping hubs of the western world.

Just to clarify my earlier post re-compared prices.......
    If you look at my thread and take it as a conversation well Im afraid to say this conversation is happening everyday between people who cant afford to buy in Ireland not only on photography products but on lots of different things. So they sit down do some basic calculations and away they go.

I think most people would much prefer to buy their products locally but simply cant afford to.

Look at the value there is now in golf products here now compared to a few years ago. The golf shops are giving better value and as a result from what I can see at work less golf clubs are being delivered via internet.

There is strength in numbers and I have No doubt if 4 or 5 shops formed a trading company they could do something to reduce the prices. I dont for a moment accept Canon , Nikon or any other company would not do business with them if it meant a larger share of the market for them, not matter how big or small the Irish market is. It can be done but is the will there to do it? I am not promoting or advocating breaking any law..

I have just come from a venue where people are forming a new group to challenge what multi-nationals and "middle Men" are doing to their sector. They had a massive turnout because they are being lashed every day and they have to do something to protect their livelihoods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

There is strength in numbers and I have No doubt if 4 or 5 shops formed a trading company they could do something to reduce the prices. I dont for a moment accept Canon , Nikon or any other company would not do business with them if it meant a larger share of the market for them, not matter how big or small the Irish market is. It can be done but is the will there to do it? I am not promoting or advocating breaking any law..

I have just come from a venue where people are forming a new group to challenge what multi-nationals and "middle Men" are doing to their sector. They had a massive turnout because they are being lashed every day and they have to do something to protect their livelihoods.

Sounds great, but the competition authority would get their knickers in a twist not to metion the camera shops would be creating a sort of cartel.

Chorcai wrote: »
    Sounds great, but the competition authority would get their knickers in a twist not to metion the camera shops would be creating a sort of cartel.

Cartels in Ireland? Never
    The competition authority would be ok with it if there was no price fixing and they could see the consumer was being best served.

If we look at the positives it far outweighs the negatives. I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

The reality is that whether Canon Ireland or some of the shops like it or not we're part of the EU single market, if you are careful and do your homework you can buy gear at prices close enough to the states without any worries over VAT or warranty.

In reality with photo gear most of the value will leave the country one way or another, it's not like we have a camera industry here.

In reality city centre camera shops probably aren't making a fortune on high end gear, rent rates and the general cost of doing business probably see to that, but that's a different issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭offalyman

I know its not an irish company but I bought a camera from the company linked below before xmas and was very happy with the purchase and the service. They were recommended to me by an friend who bought from them previously and had cause to return a faulty camera and they dealt with it perfectly. He said it was probably easier to sort out than if he bought it locally. Their price looks ok, shipping would probably be in or around £35 on top

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-eos-7d-digital-slr-camera-body/p1033215

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

nilhg wrote: »
    The reality is that whether Canon Ireland or some of the shops like it or not we're part of the EU single market, if you are careful and do your homework you can buy gear at prices close enough to the states without any worries over VAT or warranty.

Bang on. When I got my camera and lenses on e-bay I had the "EU only" box ticked. You can get stuff cheaper in Hong Kong or USA, but with tax, sending stuff back and actually trusting a shop I'd rather stick with the EU.
    Although some people like to take that a set further by buying in a local shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

If you are travelling to the US, why not get your camera in Duty free? If you buy a camera over there for personal use while on holidays you should not have to declare it at customs when you get back to Ireland especially if you paid the state tax.
    If customs really wanted to clamp down properly and actually do their job then my opinion on this would probably change. Fact is the customs channels are more often that not empty/unattended. I'd be more concerned about illegal substances etc.. that come into this country through the airport often encountering minimal resistance :mad:

Now, If you go to the US and buy a suitcase full of cameras, lenses etc.. with the intention of reselling them here in Ireland to under cut the local retailers here. That is wrong on my book.
    There will always be muppet's that will pay high street prices here and not shop around, often out of pure convenience or laziness. During Celtic Tiger times people didn't even question the prices, they just flashed the cash and the retailers never had it so good.

Like others have said, you will nearly always find cameras & high end accessories cheaper in the UK & the EU so my advice is to buy there. If Irish retailers can't come up with some imaginative way to boost sales and keep costs down, then I have no sympathy for them and wish them well in the closing down sales.

Don't know if anyone was listening to Ray Darcy show the other morning or not but he had some lad on telling the story about a chap who got a 32" LCD TV from Argos in Dublin, he paid €540 for it. He discovered a short while later the exact same TV for sale in Argos in Belfast in Newry for £329. At today's exchange rate that comes to €376. That's a massive difference of €164.
    I checked this myself.

Now tell me we are not being utterly ripped off here and that I should just pop myself along to one of the many fine Camera stores here in sunny Dublin :rolleyes:

totextra wrote: »
    Just looking at the range of prices...

7D Body Only - Including 21% VAT

EXPANSYS €1,319.99
    www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=187320

CONNS CAMERAS €1,699.99
    www.connscameras.ie/promotion/P-8714574542560pd.html

ELARA €1,706.10
    www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullft.asp?productcode=MME242P091

Expanseys is €1569.99 inc V.A.T €1297 EXC V.A.T according to their site just now. €130 Cheaper than Conns €112 when you add delivery. How can these have the same product so much cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Got my Panasonic Lumix TZ7 from this online retailer in two days flat.

www.camerabox.co.uk

price for your item below (include 15STG for post),

bt_zoomimage.gif
    Canon EOS 7D Body Only
    £1,149.99 inc. VAT
    Suggested Retail Price: £1,399.99 inc. VAT
    Camerabox saves you: £250.00

plentyof other goodies will there to tempt you. Personally don't believe in overpaying for cameras. Buying from the USA is too much hassle and can add 1/3 to the actual cost after you factor in duty, tax and courier clearance fees.

Expanseys is €1569.99 inc V.A.T €1297 EXC V.A.T according to their site just now. €130 Cheaper than Conns €112 when you add delivery. How can these have the same product so much cheaper?
    Really? Are you honestly asking that question? One operates out of a warehouse somewhere in the arse end of the UK and sells to a huge market and the other has a store right beside Grafton Street and sells to a much smaller market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

There's a shop in Cork looking for E2000 for a 7D, body only.
    That's just ridiculous.

Ebay here I come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fiskar wrote: »
    Got my Panasonic Lumix TZ7 from this online retailer in two days flat.

www.camerabox.co.uk

This sort of comparison is particularly annoying, and either ignorant or deliberately disingenuous. The chances of actually GETTING your camera from camerabox is about 50/50 judging by the thousands of easily found negative comments on the place (and its superficially disguised child companies). And woe-betide you if anything goes wrong. I think practically every thread involving camera-box on this forum has ended up with people advising the would be purchaser to reverse the charges on their credit cards and cut their losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Just for interest a shop on grafton street was on the radio last night quoting rents of 450,000 yoyos a year. They say they're locked into the lease and it doesn't look to be coming down recession or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Some camerabox reviews
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/CameraBox_co_uk__6908365
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/camerabox-uk-c166994.html

Even factoring in that some reviews are probably affiliated with camerabox and their competitors there seems to be a lot of luck involved, good and bad. Too risky for my liking.

Really? Are you honestly asking that question? One operates out of a warehouse somewhere in the arse end of the UK and sells to a huge market and the other has a store right beside Grafton Street and sells to a much smaller market.

If you read the previous posts you would see I aMm actually just replying to it. I suppose the warehouse in the arse end of England is rent free;)

The one off Grafton St would probably have bigger market if they were not needlessly so expensive. IMO

LeoB, whatever you do, don't think of becoming an entrepreneur :)

If you read the previous posts you would see I aMm actually just replying to it. I suppose the warehouse in the arse end of England is rent free;)

The one off Grafton St would probably have bigger market if they were not needlessly so expensive. IMO

You asked a question in your post. One which had a pretty obvious answer.
    Conns cameras charge a price for camera equipment that the market is willing to pay. They are a business, they are there to make money. They are not forcing you to buy anything from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

also checkout ephotozine.co.uk for used listings in the forums. i just picked up a like NEW 24-105mm 4L lens for £350 from a listing. this lens is at least €900 here new.

Hi NewbridgeMom,

I couldnt find the used listings on this site, would you be able to point me in the right direction!
    Many thnaks

• Advertisement
Advertisement