Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get cod roe?

Options
  • 28-01-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there,

Anyone knows where in Dublin can I get cod roe (preferably smocked)?

Thanks,
    Christopher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd prob try Ikea. Not sure if they have it smoked though!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭chka

I noticed some related articles on google about IKEA and cod roe, but I'm not sure they do sell roe in the Dublin (or Belfast) shop. Probably they only sell it in Sweden.
    olaola wrote: »
    I'd prob try Ikea. Not sure if they have it smoked though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

chka wrote: »
    I noticed some related articles on google about IKEA and cod roe, but I'm not sure they do sell roe in the Dublin (or Belfast) shop. Probably they only sell it in Sweden.

We were there a while back and they seemed to sell most (if not all) of the foods they sell in Sweden. Saw a few Swedish people bulk purchasing jars of Sill! They might have cut back the range since then. They had that Gawd-awful Kalles stuff. I just don't get it tbh. Kaviar for breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you tried Fallon & Byrnes off George's St? I don't know if they have it, but they do have some of the more unusual foods so it might be worth a look.

Yup, I was there last week but I couldn't find it. I assume my next bet should be somewhere in Howth's fishmongers.
    kylith wrote: »
    Have you tried Fallon & Byrnes off George's St? I don't know if they have it, but they do have some of the more unusual foods so it might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Ok, I know your in Dublin and have more variety to choose from but in the English market in Cork and the local fishmonger I have only ever been able to find lumpfish roe. On a rare occasion they might have had salmon.

If you do find cod roe somewhere could you post the company. It would be great to try and get some more variety. As always, in this country, options are few and prices are high!

Sure... I had cod roe in Ramsay's restaurant at Claridge's hotel and it was perfect. I have the recipe but I can't find the roe. I'll try Howth on Saturday and I'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

chka wrote: »
    Hi there,

Anyone knows where in Dublin can I get cod roe (preferably smocked)?

Thanks,
    Christopher

Probably not at all what you're looking for but John West do tinned pressed cod roe - it's actually only 75% roe but I quite like it fried. I haven't been able to get any fresh roe in years. AFAIK, Tesco sell this and maybe some other supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Moore Street would be my first port of call

Tried the fishmongers in Howth but they don't have cod roe. Only one had roe (salmon and the dyied sturgeon roe) but no one had the cod roe. I'm not sure I can make the roe spread from any other type of "caviar". So, next stop will be Moore street that Boardnashea suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 BrianBlessed

The two fish stalls on Moore street sell fresh cod roe when it's in season.

It's actually in season right now, I just bought some today.

Don't know how long the season lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Can I resurrect this thread? My family and I love Taramasalata but struggle to get it (can only find it in M&S) so would like to make or own but can't fit the life of me source Cods Roe.

In based in Dublin BTW.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BrianBlessed

They should have roe in Moore St and Kish fish in Bow St when it is in season some time in February

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Fallon & Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Merkin wrote: »
    Fallon & Byrne

Is this fresh or cured & smoked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Aren't Cod endangered? Are you still able to get their roe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Aren't Cod endangered? Are you still able to get their roe?
    They are not endangered.
    And if you are catching them its better to use all of the fish rather then throwing it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

From a cod? (ill get me coat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They are not endangered.
    And if you are catching them its better to use all of the fish rather then throwing it away.

They are vulnerable though - that's the nearest step to endangered. Not helping the recovery of the species if you go eating their eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They are vulnerable though - that's the nearest step to endangered. Not helping the recovery of the species if you go eating their eggs.

Once the fish is landed, you may as well eat the eggs.
    They aint gonna spawn on the fish counter.
    Also, I imagine that the roe is a by product of the flesh.

Personally, I avoid buying cod altogether but making a distinction between the eggs and the flesh is pointless - fishermen don't return spawning fish to live another day the way the lobster people do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement