Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSCommerce/Blacknight

Options
  • 28-01-2010 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

I just bought space with blacknight. Trying to start an online shop using their OSCommerce Application.

The admin account lets me install the application to my domain but what after that ?? how can i change the template and all using that application ?

Can you help ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Specific hosting issues can't be discussed here.

In relation your question about the template - OSCommerce doesn't support templates. If you want to change the look and feel of OSCommerce, it means changing most, if not all, of the core files. It's a pain. I'd recommend using Zen Cart instead.

You'll also need to decide how you'll take payments online (e.g. paypal / credit card etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You'll have to contact blacknight about that issue, I'll move this over to their forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 chanak

Ok.. Will try Zen cart too. Seen few online website which were created using oscommerce and they look brilliant. I know its only a matter of few clicks but which clicks :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Have a look at Magento as well: http://www.magentocommerce.com/. The community edition has an open source license.

Site is down :( will be back shortly

• Advertisement

chanak wrote: »
    Ok.. Will try Zen cart too. Seen few online website which were created using oscommerce and they look brilliant. I know its only a matter of few clicks but which clicks :confused:

You can get very nice templates for Zen Cart as well. It's based on OSCommerce, but has a lot of functionality already added on that could take you ages to install yourself. You'll need to make sure you secure either of those applications though, as they can be compromised very quickly.

Zen Cart is not that hard to install manually. First you need to FTP up the install files to your webserver. Then you set up a database using the hosting control panel. Then you browse to the install directory using your browser and enter the database details you just created.

Yeah just looking at Zen Cart now. Looking pretty cool and easy to do. Will try to FTP files in the evening. dont understand this creating directory concept. but i am sure trying something will not make any harm :rolleyes:

Give it a go, but you need to be really careful that your site isn't hacked. It can happen very quickly unless you take the right precautions.

hmmm... Will try my best.

Would blacknight not help me in keep all securities up to date ?

I doubt it - these security steps are for the web application itself, not the webserver or database. This is your responsibility.

There's lots of articles on the steps you should carry out; I'll try and dig out a link later on - but if this is going to a live site that you want real customers to use then I'd recommend talking to a professional to make sure it's all working as it should.

• Advertisement

Well yes it is going to be live with real customers and all. Will think about getting some professional help.. would you know anyone who can do on reasonable rates as i need only help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're having issues please contact our helpdesk

Advertisement