Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Man Utd - Match Thread

• 28-01-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

79224730.jpg

No need to stress how important this one is.

Both sides will be without key defenders in Ferdinand and Vermaelen.

A win will be welcomed though a draw wouldnt be frowned upon. This Arsenal side have really started to click of late with Arshavin and especially Fabregas playing unbelievable football. Looks like another big Fletcher performance will be required.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I'm hoping we have song back for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Having Song back will be huge for this one especially if Vermaelen is injured and can't play.

Can't call this one at all, but I can see United being more the favourites for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'm hoping we have song back for this one

Will Diaby be back?

With Vermaelen out and the form Rooney is in, could just go in Uniteds favour. Will be a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A draw, please...

Thank you...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I always get apprehensive about this fixture more than any other.

TV is a massive loss for us, Campbell is looking sharp but will be exposed by pace. I can certainly see us scoring a couple but keeping them out might be difficult, especially the form Rooney is in.

A draw looks a safe bet.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Diaby could be back. I will be amazed if Song doesn't start.

Hoping to see:

............ Almunia
    Sagna Gallas Campbell Clichy
    .............. Song
    ....... Fabregas Diaby
    Rosicky Bendtner Arshavin

Although no doubt Denilson will somehow find himself in the team again. I expect Clichy and Sagna will be shackled to provide cover for Campbell and Gallas on counter attacks. Although Song being there should help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Rooney v Campbell = 3-1 united

..........VDS...............
    Rafael Brown Evans Evra
    Nani Carrick Fletcher Park
    ......Berbatov
    .......Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Be needing my 3-D goggles for this one. I'd be very happy with a draw, even though we need to win (Arsenal fan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rooney always had fun against Campbell in his prime. Vermalan is a huge blow, one I think United can exploit to win this. Huge huge game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

After last nights win I think United could go on a bit of run in the Premier League now.

Going say 2-1 United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭crushproof

DenMan wrote: »
    Be needing my 3-D goggles for this one. I'd be very happy with a draw, even though we need to win (Arsenal fan).

Any idea which pubs are showing it in 3-D?! Read yesterday it'l be broadcast in some pubs in London, Dublin and Manchester.

Can't really predict this game but I'm going for 3-1 United. As long as we can contain Fab we should be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Rooney v Campbell = 3-1 united

..........VDS...............
    Rafael Ferd (Brown) Evans Evra
    Nani Carrick Fletcher Park
    ......Berbatov
    .......Rooney
    Carling cup finalists in your sig.. Are your expectations that low for the rest of the season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Eduardo has been ruled out with a hamstring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Song could be crucial for Arsenal, and I would defo have Diaby in ahead of Denilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

redout wrote: »
    Eduardo has been ruled out with a hamstring.

is this confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Van Der Safe

Brown--Vidic--Evans--Evra
    ---Carrick-Fletcher-Ando
    Valencia
    Giggs
    Rooney

Is what i would like to see. This is based on Scholes not being able for another 90 so close to last night. Hopefully Giggsy can because if Park plays im going to be really upset. In fact, he probably will start, as he played well away in the Champo against Arsenal last season, but.... Please no.

is this confirmed?

Sky Sports News have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

crushproof wrote: »
    Any idea which pubs are showing it in 3-D?! Read yesterday it'l be broadcast in some pubs in London, Dublin and Manchester.

Can't really predict this game but I'm going for 3-1 United. As long as we can contain Fab we should be ok!

heard theyre not releasing the name of the pub to prevent it being mobbed.word of mouth onlyim guessing itll be somewhere big and high profile in the city centre with loads of screens. woolshed maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Wasssssssup?

Just throwing my support behind the draw

G'wan the draw!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote: »
    Rooney always had fun against Campbell in his prime.
    *tries not to bite*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

These threads are starting earlier and earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Eduardo and Diaby both definitely out.

And Vermaelen basically looks like he def won't be playing.
    Unless he's as tough as he looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

psst, Fabregas... I'll give ye a 10er if ye miss this match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Van Der Safe

:D love it!! my new favourite nick name!!
    df1985 wrote: »
    heard theyre not releasing the name of the pub to prevent it being mobbed.word of mouth onlyim guessing itll be somewhere big and high profile in the city centre with loads of screens. woolshed maybe?

the would make a killing if they charged in for it! id love to see it in 3d, the atmosphere in that pub will be emmence!

i was thinkin it might be the woolshed but they dont seem to have the right projector.....id say maybe the sugar club!

either way i cannot call this one (like every utd vs l'arse match) gonna be a belter (again like every utd vs l'arse match)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

This game will be the first ever to be shown in 3D. Anyone been to see avatar? and still got your glasses? :D:D.

Apparently, it is being broadcast in 3D in selected pubs in the uk. Not sure i fancy watching games in my front room at night with glasses on, sounds a bit 'shady' to me ........baabummmm tisssssssshhhh :pac::pac:

/gets coat.

daithijjj wrote: »
    This game will be the first ever to be shown in 3D. Anyone been to see avatar? and still got your glasses? :D:D.

Apparently, it is being broadcast in 3D in selected pubs in the uk. Not sure i fancy watching games in my front room at night with glasses on, sounds a bit 'shady' to me ........baabummmm tisssssssshhhh :pac::pac:

/gets coat.
    Will the players like have tails like the avatars. What a gimic. 3d football. heard it all now. :D

Will the players like have tails like the avatars. What a gimic. 3d football. heard it all now. :D

I just saw it on sky news there, the bbc are showing a rugby match in 3D the weekend after next so sky nipped in to be the first :cool:

Not sure about 'tails' but im not sure they have thought this through, im waiting for the first lad to cough up phlegm or spit straight at the camera, might be enough for a man to spill his beer in avoidance. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

3d football. heard it all now. :D
    Well I'm going to the match so I'll definitely be watching it in 3D :D

With Song back - there's no way he won't start, surely? - I'd actually say that Arsenal aren't far off full strength. Obviously centre-back is the concern... we need a massive game from Gallas (like the first couple of months of this year) with Campbell to chip in with a bit of bullying as well and Clichy to be super sharp.

Hopefully the horrible manner of defeat at Old Trafford, plus the draw against Villa last night (not a bad result but not the best possible either), will spur Arsenal on to a win.

I just saw it on sky news there, the bbc are showing a rugby match in 3D the weekend after next so sky nipped in to be the first :cool:

Not sure about 'tails' but im not sure they have thought this through, im waiting for the first lad to cough up phlegm or spit straight at the camera, might be enough for a man to spill his beer in avoidance. :D
    Yes the problem I had with Avatar is that it too much the look of a computer game although i understand there was there was some gaming person involved in the making of it. The guy who did most of the main graphics on the film is Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Haha, that would be comical!

mars bar wrote: »
    Haha, that would be comical!
    Didn't someone mention it was going to cost like 5,000 quid to buy a TV suitable for watching the tv on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Didn't someone mention it was going to cost like 5,000 quid to buy a TV suitable for watching the tv on it.

Yeah I think I read that somewhere too...

The chap who spoke on behalf of the 'tv making fraternity' said it would be around the 2k mark for a suitable tv but its like everything else, the price would be driven down in correlation with demand over time.

The big players like Sony etc dont reckon 3D will take off until about 2011.

People will wait for the rices to drop first same as with HD tvs.

The big players like Sony etc dont reckon 3D will take off until about 2011.

People will wait for the rices to drop first same as with HD tvs.
    could be the end of live streaming. dont think it can be reproduced on a lap top.

• Advertisement

could be the end of live streaming. dont think it can be reproduced on a lap top.

No way. HD aint going anywhere it will be the standard for at least the next 20 years I reckon. 3D requires glasses and I honestly cant see that cathching on in a big way apart from one off events like sports etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

3D football on the TV?! We need never go to a match again ! :D Take that, "real" football fans !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Dave! wrote: »
    3D football on the TV?! We need never go to a match again ! :D Take that, "real" football fans !

Back to the days of bringing your boots .........just in case.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

If you have a 120Hz screen you can play 3D TV. It will be in laptops eventually, the issue is just it requires at least double the bandwidth of a normal stream.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/7093938/Arsenal-v-Manchester-United-match-preview.html

Sunday, January 31

Arsenal v Manchester United
    Emirates Stadium
    Kick-off: 16.00 GMT
    TV: Live Sky & Highlights, BBC2 MotD2.

Tale of the game

Arsenal are unbeaten in their last four home Premier League games against United, whose last victory was in February 2005 when they won 4-2 at Highbury. On Wednesday, they squandered the chance to return to the top of the Premier League when they were held to a 0-0 draw by Aston Villa. And they also lost Thomas Vermaelen, who left on crutches and could be replaced by Sol Campbell.

United beat Hull 4-0 in their previous Premier League game, last Saturday, and on Wednesday they reached the Carling Cup final by beating Manchester City. Antonio Valencia and Dimitar Berbatov could return.

Arsenal (4-3-3): Almunia; Sagna, Gallas, Campbell, Clichy; Denilson, Fabregas, Ramsey; Rosicky, Bendtner, Arshavin.
    United (4-4-2): Van der Sar; Rafael, Brown, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs; Rooney, Berbatov.
    Referee: Chris Foy. Matches: 17. R2 Y47.

Last season: Arsenal 2 United 1, United 0 Arsenal 0.

Stat of the game: United have failed to win at Arsenal in four Premier League visits.

If we approach this game in the right way i really think we can get a result there.... its a big if though!

Arsenal definitely favorites

• Advertisement

If you have a 120Hz screen you can play 3D TV. It will be in laptops eventually, the issue is just it requires at least double the bandwidth of a normal stream.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html
    Yes but surely that would eat up your mbs in a sec. Anyway to the game on sunday should be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I don't know about it being a cracker. Hopefully it is tho. I think United will set up like they did against City with the lone man and 5 midfielders. Think Fergie has said in the past that that's how to play against Arsenal. I'm thinking a 1 goal game. Just can't decide who gets the goal yet. :confused:

I'm nervous about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not a hope, I mean 3d isn't even that good at the moment. Personally, I don't see the attraction. It took me about an hour to get used to the glasses when I saw Avatar and even at that, I wasn't overly impressed. It did add a better sense of depth, which I guess will be noticeable watching the football, but there will always be live streaming. 3d will only really take off when it can be viewed without glasses, at a reasonable price and the tv's which are bought to do so don't compromise other features just for the 3d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm waiting for this;
    princess-leia.jpg

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm waiting for this;
    princess-leia.jpg

It'll come eventually!

As for the match, come on the Gunners. We've entered a very tough 4/5 game period in which we've already lost 2 points on Chelsea and can't really afford to let that gap widen. I'm more confident about this home game than I was going away to Villa. It'll be very tight and I'm hoping we can nick this one by a goal!

The initial reports on Vermaelen were over exaggereated an seemingly he has no leg break nor fracture and there is still a chance he could feature on sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The initial reports on Vermaelen were over exaggereated an seemingly he has no leg break nor fracture and there is still a chance he could feature on sunday.

Dr.+Nick+Riviera.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

SkySports News confirms that Cesc Fabregas has been ruled out with a mysterious injury :pac:

curry-muff wrote: »
    SkySports News confirms that Cesc Fabregas has been ruled out with a mysterious injury :pac:

We won't play Fabregas if ye don't play Rooney ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nice one! empty stadiums, no atmosphere, no chants, stewards out of jobs and no annoying "fly to Liverpool, Glasgow or Manchester includes match ticket with super duper Airlines" television ads.

Can't wait Fintins... stock up on the popcorn!

• Advertisement
Advertisement