Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Man Utd - Match Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Thierry is due into Heathrow in the morning and will sign on loan until the end of the season.

Ray parlour coming out of retirement too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

greendom wrote: »
    I seem to remember they did pretty well against the rest of the top 4 last year. That argument doesn't stand much srutiny

Well it does in the context of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thierry is due into Heathrow in the morning and will sign on loan until the end of the season.

Breaking News: Henry is injured. Sources claim that an angry Irish man has whacked him in the shins with a stick.

Could happen. :)

Doesn't seem that Wenger will be adding anything to the squad according to that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That_Guy wrote: »
    Doesn't seem that Wenger will be adding anything to the squad according to that interview.

Sounds like it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Who for ? I thought City were in for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fabregas will score goals but he can't be fully relied on to get the goals for Arsenal. Van Persie is a huge loss for Arsenal.

rvp was playing last year in the champions league when utd whacked them, and the 4-1 home defeat last year to chelsea too

its a mental thing imo now, i remember at the back end of 90s arsenal going to anfield every season and getting an awful going over season after season and liverpool were not even that good at the time

rossie1977 wrote: »
    rvp was playing last year in the champions league when utd whacked them, and the 4-1 home defeat last year to chelsea too

its a mental thing imo now, i remember at the back end of 90s arsenal going to anfield every season and getting an awful going over season after season and liverpool were not even that good at the time

Wouldn't be so sure, earlier in the seaon most will agree that Arsenal deserved to beat utd at OT, certainly today Arsenal if they are been more clinical in front of goal we might have had a different result, we can't expect Cesc and the other midfielders to keep scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

well done utd.

clinical.

on chances, it could have easily been more even, but in reality, the game's all about goals. so fair dues to them.

as has probably been said through this thread already, i was very impressed with nani. he seems to have grown a brain. if he keeps it up, it's a triumph for Fergie's perseverence and man-management.

i'm not going to write off arsenal yet, as they can beat the lesser teams with the best of them on their day. but it seems they're still that bit too fragile defensively, and particularly Almunia.

that, and bendtner stepping up, would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Maybe marginally. But arsenal were certainly better overall up to the goal.
    As soon as they went a goal down they were never going to pull it back.
    Quite pathetic for a team with title ambitions...and untrue in my opinion. United were unstoppbale on the counter attack due to Arsenal playing too far up after conceding the first. I still thought Arsenal would get a goal or two back but it was always going to be at the expense of United chances.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    well done utd.

clinical.

on chances, it could have easily been more even, but in reality, the game's all about goals. so fair dues to them.

United had the more clear cut chances. Nani and Rooney both missed sitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Wouldn't be so sure, earlier in the seaon most will agree that Arsenal deserved to beat utd at OT, certainly today Arsenal if they are been more clinical in front of goal we might have had a different result, we can't expect Cesc and the other midfielders to keep scoring

Last seaon Arsenal beat United 2-1, when they didn't really deserve a win. These things happen. The game earlier this season ahd as much to do with inexperience as today did. United have proven themselves better than Arsenal today, even though Arsenal showed more spirirt than in the CL semi final last season. The defensive errors were unforgivable for a side looking to challenge for the title. I was as shocked as anyone to see United take a two goal lead so quickly, but it was up to Arsenal to not let them. That's football, a cruel game at times.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

K4t wrote: »
    United had the more clear cut chances. Nani and Rooney both missed sitters.

more even.

i never said they deserved to be level on overall performance.

arshavin had 4/5 chances too, not as clear cut as those you've mentioned, but chances you'd expect him to do a lot better with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

nullzero wrote: »
    That's football, a cruel game at times.
    I missed the first 20 minutes..Not sure what was so cruel about it..Did they deserve to be 2 up before united took the lead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not really ric, arshavin is never clinical except when he comes up against liverpool!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not really ric, arshavin is never clinical except when he comes up against liverpool!

ha, yes i suppose!

you really didn't have to remind me though. ;)

but you know what i mean; he definitely should've done better with at least two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Totally delighted with the result and performance .
    Nani was fantastic (god two weeks is along time in football )
    Rooney what can you say ,at the moment he is just in a class on his own.
    Carrick put on another good effort ,long may it continue .
    Evans is really starting to come into his own .

My only problem with the team was Giggs when he came on but maybe thats better left for the super thread,

Its a good good day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

heard a good one

Clichy has requested the police to investigate Nani after the rape which happened on the 31st of January in The Emirates Stadium, London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Liam O wrote: »
    heard a good one

Clichy has requested the police to investigate Nani after the rape which happened on The Emirates Stadium, London.

CCTV footage released to try to identify those involoved:

11kf8eb.gif
    [Credit:Top @ Redcafe.net]

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

11kf8eb.gif

The more you see it the better it gets!:D

The more you see it the better it gets!:D

credit where due united punished us big time today, fair play. the extra class told :o:(:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Great great result against a deadly team. I'll be cheering Arsenal on next week hoping they BATTER THEM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

We were great today.

Love seeing that sort of counter attacking football. Convincing win over one of our biggest rivals and Rooney is on fire. Nani too was quality today, nice to see him playing well on the right.

Hopefully we now go on one of our runs till the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As Alan Partridge would say, that was liquid football.

I have to give creidt to Nani as I've been a critic of his in the past but today he stepped up big time. Rooney, well he was exceptional as always.

I think Arsenal need to win next week or that's it for them and as Fergie said, let's hope they batter Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

That trick was slick as ****.

Well done United....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

certainly today Arsenal if they are been more clinical in front of goal we might have had a different result

What a result! Great from Nani, Rooney and Manchester United. Could have scored an awful lot more too...especially Rooney. But still a good performance with the Rio, Vidic, O Shea and (to a lesser extent) Hargreaves missing.

Well done United

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Does there be highlights of the games on the net? Missed it today and raging! dying to see the goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Does there be highlights of the games on the net? Missed it today and raging! dying to see the goals.

MOTD 2 - BBC2 10pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

101greatgoals.com or footytube.com are probably your best bets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

And you just missed it on RTE2. I didn't know they showed highlights on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Des wrote: »
    MOTD 2 - BBC2 10pm

Asked for that one.
    Cil wrote: »
    101greatgoals.com or footytube.com are probably your best bets

Cheers! Give that a shot now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

11kf8eb.gif

look at the way Clichy holds up his hands after nani goes past him. Classic. Its as if he says what the f#ck just happened there.

Rob113 wrote: »
    look at the way Clichy holds up his hands after nani goes past him. Classic. Its as if he says what the f#ck just happened there.

Ashley Cole would not have let that happen, Clichy has gone backwards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Ah now in all fairness that was a great bit of skill that could have beaten any defender. But going on the match as a whole, Nani ran Clichy ragged and wasn't a great day for him.

There is not many who could have lived with Nani today. Hopefully he can continue in that sort of form. Although im more hopeful than expectant.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Ah now in all fairness that was a great bit of skill that could have beaten any defender. But going on the match as a whole, Nani ran Clichy ragged and wasn't a great day for him.

It was, that said Clichy has been poor for some time now, have a feeling he will not be first choice left back next season. Don't know what it is but he does not seem to be the same player that he was just after we sold Cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Nah, Insua would've pwned his ass.

Ok, maybe not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    And you just missed it on RTE2. I didn't know they showed highlights on a Sunday.

They don't usually - just a handful of times each season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

nuxxx wrote: »
    who did giggs come on for?

Scholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Liam O wrote: »
    really liking the atmosphere in this thread.

Indeed its great to see a match thread without (SEE MOD WARNING POST XX) in the title.

of course speaking of the title that looks far away for us after that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Indeed its great to see a match thread without (SEE MOD WARNING POST XX) in the title.

MOTD on. Should be interesting what Hansen and Dixon have to say about this.

Hansen :(:(

• Advertisement

Beat Chelsea next week and you would be back in it. Lose and your out.
    I cant see you winning it though. Could have done with a couple of bodies to bulk up the squad / strikeforce a bit

i genuinely cannot bring myself to watch it. i presume arsenal will get slaughtered. and to be honest today i can't defend them..

no pun intended:o

Just watching the repeat of Rooneys goal today. The way he adjusted his speed and feet for the finish was brilliant.

i genuinely cannot bring myself to watch it. i presume arsenal will get slaughtered. and to be honest today i can't defend them..

no pun intended:o
    Cant remember the last time a home team were outplayed like that. What went wrong for Arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Cant remember the last time a home team were outplayed like that. What went wrong for Arsenal?

They lost their composure after the first goal went in. They pushed too far up and got caught on the counter for the other two. That, and the fullbacks were pretty terrible today and offered no support to the CBs.

Some terrible defending from Arsenal today :(

They lost their composure after the first goal went in. They pushed too far up and got caught on the counter for the other two. That, and the fullbacks were pretty terrible today and offered no support to the CBs.
    yes Arsenal seemed to be committing too many forward and not enough back. Last chance saloon next week against Chelsea according to Hansen..

Rob113 wrote: »
    Just watching the repeat of Rooneys goal today. The way he adjusted his speed and feet for the finish was brilliant.

it was another incredible goal. (like ronaldo's last year) Arsenal in their prime (2004) would have been proud.

Almunia for starters is a terrible goalkeeper. He's a decent shot stopper but his distribution is poor (putting defenders under pressure) and his ability to organize his defence is abysmal (hence Arsenal having trouble at set pieces generally speaking) therefore the defence have very little confidence in him to begin with.

The first goal goes in (with the aid of almunia) and the heads drop. You can visibly see the confidence being shattered at that point. However all is not lost and lads like Vermaelen, Rosicky, Fabregas and Gallas galvinize the team and urge to push for an instant equaliser. This is where Arsenal fall apart.

See up till now, Arsenal weren't far off united with Arshavin really causing problems up front. A goal wasn't out of Arsenal's reach. What they needed was a calm head instructing the lads to get the ball at their feet and pass it - something Arsenal are famously good at. Instead they pile forward for a corner dying to get this instant equaliser. But crucially leaving themselves open to a counter.

If you recall at Chelsea it was two quick goals that destroyed Arsenal who uptil then were just about matching the Blues. Again here. Rooney does brilliantly (Denilson - Wtf??) and thats game set and match to United really. The key to Arsenal's win at Liverpool was NOT conceding that killer second, but here we were hit by a KO punch.

After that the youth of the team showed and essentially they played the match out as best they could. Flickering now and again but ultimately if Rooney and co were in a nastier/more clinical mood it could have been a hammering.The 3 key weaknessess were Almunia, Clichy and Denilson.

Almunia I have discussed, but Clichy (and Sagna to a lesser extent) is being explioted by the Arsenal tactics of 4 -3 -3. He's not the strongest defensively and with no player in front of him (denilson and fab /song floating around in the middle) he's being destroyed by nani. Nasri is supposed to focus on attack mainly and help out occasionally defensively but as we saw , that wasn't enough to deal with Nani. As for Denilson. He's not physically strong enough to be the ball winner Arsenal need him to be. He's smart but not technical enough to survive on being smart (a la Fabregas). Diaby was a big loss today in that regard.

And very finally Nasri and Rosicky are struggling to adapt to being wingers. That's why there was no shape to the team up front. They prefer being involved with the play and are sucked into the middle, leaving the Utd full backs free to attack and overlap causing even more problems for Clichy and Sagna.

*exhales*

Basically we were outplayed hands down ;)

Basically we were outplayed hands down ;)[/QUOTE]

Good honest post. Arsenal still have a way to go. Could do with a bit of steel in the middle. Still too lightweight i reckon.

it was another incredible goal. (like ronaldo's last year) Arsenal in their prime (2004) would have been proud.

Almunia for starters is a terrible goalkeeper. He's a decent shot stopper but his distribution is poor (putting defenders under pressure) and his ability to organize his defence is abysmal (hence Arsenal having trouble at set pieces generally speaking) therefore the defence have very little confidence in him to begin with.

The first goal goes in (with the aid of almunia) and the heads drop. You can visibly see the confidence being shattered at that point. However all is not lost and lads like Vermaelen, Rosicky, Fabregas and Gallas galvinize the team and urge to push for an instant equaliser. This is where Arsenal fall apart.

See up till now, Arsenal weren't far off united with Arshavin really causing problems up front. A goal wasn't out of Arsenal's reach. What they needed was a calm head instructing the lads to get the ball at their feet and pass it - something Arsenal are famously good at. Instead they pile forward for a corner dying to get this instant equaliser. But crucially leaving themselves open to a counter.

If you recall at Chelsea it was two quick goals that destroyed Arsenal who uptil then were just about matching the Blues. Again here. Rooney does brilliantly (Denilson - Wtf??) and thats game set and match to United really. The key to Arsenal's win at Liverpool was NOT conceding that killer second, but here we were hit by a KO punch.

After that the youth of the team showed and essentially they played the match out as best they could. Flickering now and again but ultimately if Rooney and co were in a nastier/more clinical mood it could have been a hammering.The 3 key weaknessess were Almunia, Clichy and Denilson.

Almunia I have discussed, but Clichy (and Sagna to a lesser extent) is being explioted by the Arsenal tactics of 4 -3 -3. He's not the strongest defensively and with no player in front of him (denilson and fab /song floating around in the middle) he's being destroyed by nani. Nasri is supposed to focus on attack mainly and help out occasionally defensively but as we saw , that wasn't enough to deal with Nani. As for Denilson. He's not physically strong enough to be the ball winner Arsenal need him to be. He's smart but not technical enough to survive on being smart (a la Fabregas). Diaby was a big loss today in that regard.

And very finally Nasri and Rosicky are struggling to adapt to being wingers. That's why there was no shape to the team up front. They prefer being involved with the play and are sucked into the middle, leaving the Utd full backs free to attack and overlap causing even more problems for Clichy and Sagna.

*exhales*

Basically we were outplayed hands down ;)
    not like Arsenal to drop their heads as anyone who watched our 4-4 game last year will attest to. looked totally lost at the back. As Hansen said the amount of space Clichy gave for third goal was unreal. Not sure if it was the worse piece of defending in thirty years but was pretty bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement