Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Man Utd - Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

redout wrote: »
    The initial reports on Vermaelen were over exaggereated an seemingly he has no leg break nor fracture and there is still a chance he could feature on sunday.

Indeed, he's still a doubt though, I wonder will Wenger risk him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ush1 wrote: »

that has nothing to do with seeing someone as a threat, just common sense to ask his own fans not to be retarded. would do it for any manager.

Yeah that must be it.

Or he's a decent fella who doesn't like hearing someone being called a pedophile by 50k+ people.

Cil wrote: »
    Yeah that must be it.

Or he's a decent fella who doesn't like hearing someone being called a pedophile by 50k+ people.

Ha, yep, defo the first one.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    that has nothing to do with seeing someone as a threat, just common sense to ask his own fans not to be retarded. would do it for any manager.

Hmm, really. He goes on to say his fans are best, and proved it on Wednesday, when they threw a bottle and coins at the away team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Cil wrote: »
    being called a pedophile by 50k+ people.
    What a stupid chant.

After the Ireland Italian game some muppet was singing "Pirlo is a Pedo" outside croker... never heard something so stupid in all my life!

Hmm, really. He goes on to say his fans are best, and proved it on Wednesday, when they threw a bottle and coins at the away team?

yes really. i think you are trying to read into something that isnt there, he just doesnt want his own fans singing songs of that nature at wenger which is just the decent thing to want.

And you need to isolate some of the morons from the rest of the support who were great that night (city fans were in good voice too). They are not representative of the majority.

yes really. i think you are trying to read into something that isnt there, he just doesnt want his own fans singing songs of that nature at wenger which is just the decent thing to want.

And you need to isolate some of the morons from the rest of the support who were great that night (city fans were in good voice too). They are not representative of the majority.

I don't need to seperate it, it's hardly a good match to comment on his fans when such a divisive and well publicised event took place.

I may be looking for something that's not there, then again what I'm saying may be exactly the case.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    What a stupid chant.

Agreed, it's a disgrace.

+1 to this also.

I don't need to seperate it, it's hardly a good match to comment on his fans when such a divisive and well publicised event took place.

I may be looking for something that's not there, then again what I'm saying may be exactly the case.

you really do need to separate it. he's referring to the noise we made and atmosphere created. you will get tossers in all walks of life

sorry for taking the match thread OT btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Even one of Jesus's mates turned out to be a bastard!! You get them everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

79224730.jpg

No need to stress how important this one is.

Both sides will be without key defenders in Ferdinand and Vermaelen.

A win will be welcomed though a draw wouldnt be frowned upon. This Arsenal side have really started to click of late with Arshavin and especially Fabregas playing unbelievable football. Looks like another big Fletcher performance will be required.
    btw good to see you got the sig sorted. What made you plump for iniesta anway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

btw good to see you got the sig sorted. What made you plump for iniesta anway?

That was always the sig but it was removed on a couple of occasions by the admin or what not.

That was always the sig but it was removed on a couple of occasions by the admin or what not.
    looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

been thinking about the team i would like

here is one possibilty i wouldnt mind

VDS
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Evans
    Evra

Carrick/Ando
    Fletcher

Valencia
    Nani
    Giggs

Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

kryogen wrote: »
    been thinking about the team i would like

here is one possibilty i wouldnt mind

VDS
    Rafael
    Vidic
    Evans
    Evra

Carrick/Ando
    Fletcher

Valencia
    Nani
    Giggs

Rooney
    Where's Nani supposed to be playing there? Behind Rooney? Woulda thought with that line-up, Giggs would be there with Nani on a wing, since that's where he plays ! Crossing is his forte, it would be kind of a waste playing him there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'd be hoping for a back 4 of Brown - Vidic - Evans - Evra.

I'd like to see Nani continue in the team, but I can't see Valencia not starting, and I would be worried about Nani returning to off-form if played on the left.

Dave! wrote: »
    Where's Nani supposed to be playing there? Behind Rooney? Woulda thought with that line-up, Giggs would be there with Nani on a wing, since that's where he plays ! Crossing is his forte, it would be kind of a waste playing him there

kinda think its clear where i have Nani playing?

there is a school of thought that suggests its actually his best position (same way Park actually plays better through the centre), i doubt we will ever see him in there in a united jersey, but like i said, its a line up i wouldnt mind seeing

hate seeing Giggs playing off the front man, would never have him there :)

I'd like to see Nani continue in the team, but I can't see Valencia not starting, and I would be worried about Nani returning to off-form if played on the left.

you know, i like Brown, always have

but the last few weeks he is playing like his head is in the clouds, maybe him playing rb from the start would see him play better, i dunno, it just seems he is not fully focused

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

kryogen wrote: »
    kinda think its clear where i have Nani playing?

there is a school of thought that suggests its actually his best position (same way Park actually plays better through the centre), i doubt we will ever see him in there in a united jersey, but like i said, its a line up i wouldnt mind seeing

hate seeing Giggs playing off the front man, would never have him there :)
    Just never saw him play there before so it wouldn't be a position that would come to mind for me

I hope he can play on the left, cos I couldn't see Fergie dropping Valencia very often, and it would be terrific if we could have the width both of them provide at the same time instead of us being lobsided

hopefully the confidence will be back, and he will continue to make good decisions on the left cause if he can give us a proper outlet on the left we may in fact be able to compensate for the lack of a proper creative CM!

I'd personally like to see Nani continue out on the right touchline and play Valencia just inside him. I think its gonna be a 5 man midfield as usual.

Nani - Valencia - Carrick - Fletcher - Giggs.

Gives that 5 man midfield fergie loves but also allows for Nani and Giggs to join Rooney up front to make it a 4,3,3.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'd personally like to see Nani continue out on the right touchline and play Valencia just inside him. I think its gonna be a 5 man midfield as usual.

Nani - Valencia - Carrick - Fletcher - Giggs.

Gives that 5 man midfield fergie loves but also allows for Nani and Giggs to join Rooney up front to make it a 4,3,3.

having seen Valencia play for his national team i am pretty sure he would be wasted as a straightforward cm, he plays like a typical number 10 for them rather then a typical centre mid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

TEST

The only other options are to move Nani to the left, which would be a terrible decision. Leave him out of the team, which would be better than the left, or play him off Rooney.
    I'd like to see Valencia played just inside but not as a typical CM. More like a partner for Nani and also a link with Rooney. Fletcher and Carrick can do the real CM work.

I am sure Fergie will go with the 5 man midfield (Man City game) and I doubt he'll leave Valencia out. I'm just not confident on him playing Giggs so soon after a hard 90 minutes in mid week.

i think the same of Giggs which is why im afraid we might see Park start

i guess a front 4 of

Nani
    Valencia
    Giggs
    Rooney

wouldnt be the worst option either

with Carrick and Fletch behind, or Ando and Fletch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Valencia will be back in on the right, Giggs - most likely - on the left with Carrick, Fletch and Scholes in midfield. Nani will lose out but in fairness, it'd be 3 games in 8 days for him if he did play.

Fergie isn't going to through in anything out of the ordinary, not in a big game like this.

I am going with this side:

VDS

Brown
    Vidic

Rafa
    Evra

Fletcher
    Anderson

Valencia
    Park

Stroller

Rooney

I don't think Nani struggles with fitness tho. Have you seen the body on him :eek:. Yeah thats right I said it. He's bleedin massive.;)

3 games in 8 days is a good reason for Fergie to tell him he's on the bench tho.

How refreshing is it to actually be discussing what options we have with Nani. :) I like these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Mitch as much as i respect Wes for what he has done, i feel Rafael is our right full for the foreseeable future.In fact i feel he has fast tracked himself into the position regarding his recent performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I fear for United in this one.

Heart says United to sneak it. Head says Arsenal by a goal.

Alex is an old softie at heart, defending Wenger here

ALEX FERGUSON has told Manchester United fans to stop their vile abuse of Arsene Wenger.

Fans verbally attack Wenger home and away and Ferguson wants the chants to stop, starting tomorrow at the Emirates.

Ferguson said: "There's been some terrible abuse from our fans to Arsene Wenger and there must be a line drawn. We have a team to support - we don't need to worry about anyone else."

It has been seven years since Wenger and United boss Fergie last went head-to-head for the title.

And Ferguson believes tomorrow's clash is the big one now that Wenger's side - unbeaten in 10 - are back in the title race.

Ferguson said: "Looking at the way the league is shaping up, this game with Arsenal is the biggest game of the season.

"These games with Arsenal are historic.

"Since I came down here, it's been Arsenal and United competing for most of the trophies."

Ferguson said Wenger was wrong to suggest that Darren Fletcher was a dirty player after United's 2-1 win at Old Trafford.

He said: "I think that's where Arsene lets himself down. It's disappointing.

"I don't think he really believes that."

Ferguson, meanwhile, will not make a further appeal after Rio Ferdinand's three-match ban for violent conduct was increased to four.

and people say SAF isnt a gent

the bold part, i guess we have accepted its 4 games then, silly boy, tough fixtures to be missing from

As much as I like Rafael, I doubt his temperment at the moment. He nearly got himself Red Carded the other night for nothing. This was a week after the silly penalty at Eastlands.
    I just hope he can learn to tone that down like Rooney has without loosing the agression that makes him a pleasure to watch.

I also think John O'Shea is Uniteds first choice right back. IMO of course :).

How can you blame him on a bad officiating decision ? Has the linesman been punished for making such a fook up ? Bellamy offered little in the second leg which tells me he had a good game against as tough an attacking propostion on that wing.I also thought he didn't do as bad as was made out in the 1st leg either.Josh doesn't offer what Rafael can going forward so it's a no brainer tbh.

I respectfully disagree. O'Shea nut megged Figo in front of my own eyes. I will never forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Huge huge game for United this one. A defeat would be disasterous in the long term for either side if Chelsea win their games in hand, so a draw is the most probable outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Rafael also spanked one in at the Emirates last year. Nice to have right backs who can do that. ;)

Then again, O'Shea's chip at Highbury.

And John O'Shea smacked one in at Old trafford in the Champions League semi. :D

• Advertisement

I would be happy with scraping a point but if Fergie actually gets it right with the formation i think we could take the three points but also i fear they could too.Head says win ,Heart says win if Fergie actually gets it right tactically.I will take a defeat no problem as long as we actually tried.

I think O'Shea is very underrated going forward.

A United win on sunday would surprise me to be honest.

I am going for a 1 - 1 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Is O'Shea out for the rest of the season?

Johner wrote: »

According to Fergie it's looking that way.

Johner wrote: »

O'Shea said during the week he reckons he will be back in March.

He pulled up the boss on saying "could" and not "would".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

O'Shea is an incredibly underrated player, and United will miss him a lot.

This is shaping up to be a bloody cracker. Potential to be such a good game. Really looking forward to watching it! Don't know what bloody result I want really.... Can see it being high-scoring enough tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I'll tell you within five minutes of kick off which Arsenal team have turned up. Personally I think we HAVE TO HAVE TO win. Chelsea will be delighted with a draw. We need seven points from next nine. A draw with Chelsea is the only place we can afford to drop.

According to Fergie it's looking that way.
    Yeah he was on record in Dublin recently in saying that O'Sheas chances of making a return this season were very slim.
    "He’s got a terrible injury at the moment,” he said. “One of those sorts of injuries that is unusual. It’s like a dead leg except a dead leg is usually only three or four days. The problem is that the blood clot became all knotted and when it gets knotted you get calcification so therefore it’s a long process to clear that up.

“He’ll probably miss the season now. It’s a bad blow for the boy. And for the team, because when you look at all the problems I’ve had with the back four this season, he could have played every single position.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Stroller

Rooney

lol

Hope Vidic is fully fit for this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Pretty sure we'll go
    VDS
    Brown - Vidic - Evans - Evra
    valencia - fletch - carrick - ando - giggs
    Rooney