Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Man Utd - Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Arsenal defence has been a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Rooney is becoming the player I love to hate. Simply amazing.

I think Ronaldo shrunk and is wearing a Jacko wig, because this isn't Nani!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should be 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Goodnight, Vienna I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Wow, fantastic football. He is simply untouchable at the minute.

And Rooney is playing great too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

should have buried that alright - good defending by vermaelen or should i say his hand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I still wouldn't put it past Arsenal to make a come back, they're probably the best equiped side in the league to come back from 2-0 to United.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Can Valenica play anywhere else? Cause If Nani can keep that up then I wouldn't want anyone else playing on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

nullzero wrote: »
    I still wouldn't put it past Arsenal to make a come back, they're probably the best equiped side in the league to come back from 2-0 to United.

If they can get it right that is. They need a striker badly. Arshavin's shooting has been woeful today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Nope. All it takes is a moment of magic from Fabregas and the Gunners are right back in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

deisedevil wrote: »
    Can Valenica play anywhere else? Cause If Nani can keep that up then I wouldn't want anyone else playing on the right.

through the centre i think and on the left too but i guess fergie doesnt fancy him in either of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't get it. When Portuguese players get booed they immediately start to play better...

Very close from Song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

I renounce all my doubts in Nani ..go on young man

Boo. There were 5 seconds left ref.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Clinical from United. Worst possible result for Chelsea is a United win. :(

°°°°°

redout wrote: »
    Nope. All it takes is a moment of magic from Fabregas and the Gunners are right back in it.

They almost had one near the end there.
    Hopefully Uniteds defensive frailties wont start to show towards the end.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

fabregas has been quiet, arshavin have'n a stinker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Why is Park so slow? No pace whatsoever. Watch everyone burn past him for the second goal. He should've been the furthest man up top from that break. Very average player at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

we seriously need a striker on the pitch, bendtner on at HT

• Advertisement

I said it so many times this season. When Nani gets a run of games in the team he will improve greatly and I'm very glad this was the game he's really blossomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why is Park so slow? No pace whatsoever. Watch everyone burn past him for the second goal. He should've been the furthest man up top from that break. Very average player at best.

yep - i can't freaking stand seeing him in the team. offers so little going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This game is far from over imo. United have been clinical, no doubt, and Nani and rooney have been outstanding, but by in large, I'd say Arsenal have been using possessin better and created more chances. If Arsenal get their shooting boots on, they could easily get something.

Furthermore, United are going to sit deeper and deeper. I'm hopeful United will get another few chances on the break.

I think at about 60-70 minutes, Berbatov on for Park, with Rooney on the left, to create an attacking trio that can break at huge pace, with somebody to hold up the ball, would be a good game plan.

Then leave Carrick Fletcher and Scholes packing the middle, with Nani and Rooney always doing the tracking back jobs. Maybe even try Nani on the left and Valencia on the right perhaps.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Michael Carrick take a bow. More of this in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

**** match. United deservedly in the lead but they've had it far too easy.

he is a CM playing on the wing imo. He played very well in a good few games last season and the season before but has seemingly gone backwards this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Nani for world player of the year??? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yep - i can't freaking stand seeing him in the team. offers so little going forward.

Wondering could we even give Valencia a lash on the LHS at all??

United doing exactly what we did to Arsenal at the Emirates.

3-0 final score get your money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Liam O wrote: »
    he is a CM playing on the wing imo. He played very well in a good few games last season and the season before but has seemingly gone backwards this season.

a CM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Arsenal were the better side in the first half but United were more clinical. What has really let Arsenal down is not having a proper center forward. Arsharvin doesnt seem to do the business there and he pretty much wasted every opportunity he had in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

No idea why he is in the team today, but sure it's hard to complain about team selection right now, he is doin a job helping out in the center when we don't have the ball.

Anyone see the similarities between the second goal and the third goal on the CL last year. Superb.

Feckin NTL went on strike for the ten seconds of the first goal need to see Nani rum again.

Where does this leave Valencia. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I wouldn't be breaking out the bubbly just yet if I was a United fan. What a cracking 45 minutes. Can't wait for the second half. You can bet your bottom dollar there will be more goals. Arsenal will give it the kitchen sink and will put pressure on United but they will leave themselves open to more counters attacks. Ah, I love this sport :D.

Great first half. Flew by unlike that other match earlier. :)

As a neutral I'd love to see an Arsenal goal early in the second half to really make a game of it.

Nani has been superb thus far. One great goal and one assist. Rooney's desire to get forward quickly was sensational. Playing like the best striker in the world at the moment.

Arsenal's defence has been so poor. Going forward they've been hit and miss. Great play to get forward but they, well Arshavin in particular can't put the finishing touches to his shooting. I can't think of a time when Van Der Sar has been tested tbh.

°°°°°

ntlbell wrote: »
    a CM?
    Central Midfielder?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Great so far. Nani having the game of his life for United. I cant believe how well he is playing. Him and Rooney were brilliant for the second, so simliar to the CL goal Ronaldo scored.

Still wouldnt write Arsenal off by a long shot, although they are defending so poorly they could easily concede again.

Central Midfielder?

I know what CM means.

Park isn't one, never was.

a CM?

It's where he played for PSV and where he plays for Korea, he plays very well for Korea there even if it is against weaker opponents

• Advertisement

sorry still have my football manager brain in. Central Midfielder. It's where he played for PSV and where he plays for Korea

he played on the wing for PSV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I said it so many times this season. When Nani gets a run of games in the team he will improve greatly and I'm very glad this was the game he's really blossomed.

True - for seasons now, we had a set up based around Ronaldo on the right wing & dropping into the centre, which forced Nani out to the left wing & Rooney often having to drop deep to make up for Ronaldo not doing do.

Now, whilst that worked well for us - and why wouldn't you play that way, with such a gifted player in the squad - now that he's out of the equation, Plan B is starting to work extremely well.. 14 goals in 14 games for Rooney & Nani playing a blinder on the right.

As I always said - you should never second guess Fergie.. he's been around the block too many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Great first half if you are a neutral. Unfortunately, I'm not.:(

As for Arshavin, I think he is destroying the United defenders with his running and skill. The problem is he's not a striker. His finishing isn't the best tonight, he seems to shoot when he should pass, and passes when he should shoot.

Never thought I'd say this but maybe Bendtner might be useful, Arshavin can do his thing and we can still have an out and forward in the middle to pick up the pieces.

What are the chances we'll see another triple substitution on 60 minutes - Ramsey, Walcott and Bendtner.

We only ever leave one player back properly on attacking set pieces - we paid for it today. Both Sagna and Clichy should be back on the halfway line to cover them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lol @ Guillit on Sky picking out Carrick as the main man in the first half. :confused:

he played on the wing for PSV.

could've sworn he played through the centre when I saw them in the CL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I know what CM means.

Isn't much of a footballer imo. He has no right to be in the Utd side on current form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I know what CM means.

Funnily enough he started off as a defensive midfielder, it was Hiidink that transformed him into a winger, but ill agree, id never count him as a cm for united, has only played there maybe twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Nani destroyed Clichy on the left hand side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

nani to real madrid haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Aidric wrote: »
    Isn't much of a footballer imo. He has no right to be in the Utd side on current form.

Not true, the team he is in is beating Arsenal 0-2 at the Emirates.

could've sworn he played through the centre when I saw them in the CL...

Nope.

he could have very well played the odd game there but he was prodimintley a winger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement