Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying my first car.

• 28-01-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey,

Im looking to buy my first car this weekend. I've seen a few 2005 Golfs around I wanna see for about €9,500 all from dealers.
    What I'm wondering is, that I'm going to be buying the car straight with cash how much can I expect to get off the car. I've been hearing that it's now a great time to buying cars etc so should I be getting a good deal?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is no universal answer to your question of how much can you get off a car. It will depend entirely on the car, and the price it's advertised at. But seeing that you're a cash buyer i would expect you to be able to haggle.

But on a completely seperate note, do you have a full license? Or will this be the first car you'll be learning to drive in? If you're learning, it might be a good idea to buy something cheap that you wont mind giving a few knocks, and pass your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Aibreann

9 thousand is way too much for 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The advice gave already is spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Ring the dealer. Ask him straight out how much for a cash sale, no trade in and money in your pocket. You'll then have a better idea of the reduction you can get when you ring other dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭brennarr

Cheers guys,

Have my full license 2.5 years now. Been driving parents car ever since but need something for myself now and wanna buy something decent enough.

Its 1.4 petrol golf I'm looking at. Would like to get a 1.9TDI but not looking good insurance wise as I'm 24 and this is my first time to get a policy in my own name.

You think it would be possible to get the 1.4 for around €8,000?

• Advertisement

New ones are €18500 ish I think, any more than €8000 for an 05 is looney, €8000 is looney too actually I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭brennarr

Would it be worth looking at a private sale or is it too risky?

Depends, can be no bother at all can be very risky, if you don't have a clue about cars and bring no one who does with you you are relying on the seller to be completely honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

sorry i posted this in wrong thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Go out to the dealer and look at the car, then make offers based on it, unless the dealer is an idiot it's unlikely he is going to tell you his lowest price over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Go out to the dealer and look at the car, then make offers based on it, unless the dealer is an idiot it's unlikely he is going to tell you his lowest price over the phone.

why
    if you are phomnning around and he is too high you'll go elsewhere

Advertisement