Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Athenry

Options
  • 28-01-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if any of you could help me out because I've gone through the usual channels but haven't had much luck.

Basically I'm in a situation where I may have a possible work placement at the Teagasc research facility outside Athenry. I'm currently living in the city (Doughiska) but have no car. Bus eireanns website states that their first bus leaving the city for Athenry doesn't leave til half two in the evening and I rang Farrells but they told me they could drop me off about 500 Metres from Teagasc but it would be a dodgy walk to get there seeing as its on a main road with no footpaths.

As ye can see I'm kinda stuck so I would be very grateful if anyone here knows of any alternative bus routes etc that I could use. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Asmodean wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if any of you could help me out because I've gone through the usual channels but haven't had much luck.

Basically I'm in a situation where I may have a possible work placement at the Teagasc research facility outside Athenry. I'm currently living in the city (Doughiska) but have no car. Bus eireanns website states that their first bus leaving the city for Athenry doesn't leave til half two in the evening and I rang Farrells but they told me they could drop me off about 500 Metres from Teagasc but it would be a dodgy walk to get there seeing as its on a main road with no footpaths.

As ye can see I'm kinda stuck so I would be very grateful if anyone here knows of any alternative bus routes etc that I could use. Thanks a million!

This is no alternative routes. You'll be grand though. With the new motorway, no one's on that road. And people walk to their from the town all day any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Sounds thanks for the reply. Would the centre be a good bit away from the town even or is it walking distance?

Sounds thanks for the reply. Would the centre be a good bit away from the town even or is it walking distance?

15 minute walk, if even. It's approximately 1 km out of town.

Okay that's great I think I'll go ahead and put my name down for that place anyway I'm sure I can manage. Thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Bus eireanns website states that their first bus leaving the city for Athenry doesn't leave til half two in the evening ...

There's a half two in the evening?

Sorry, not v helpful! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lol yeah sorry I was rushing too much typing that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 heinze

Farrells & Bus Eireann drop people off outside the Agricultural College which is on the same grounds/Campus as the teagasc buildings. No Need to walk on the roads from athenry at all.

Lovely, thanks Heinze! I'm not very familiar with Athenry at all so that's a great help to me.

heinze wrote: »
    Farrells & Bus Eireann drop people off outside the Agricultural College which is on the same grounds/Campus as the teagasc buildings. No Need to walk on the roads from athenry at all.

With the new road, i don't believe they do. Farrell's certainly don't anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Alas the only frequent transport to Athenry is the train!! I assume you've considered this and figured tis a bit steep:(

Then again, you could try cyber hitching and see if anyone has to do that commute and carpool?? You can post on boards, kotalk, freecycle, facebook etc to see if there's anyone out there doing the same journey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Greaney wrote: »
    Alas the only frequent transport to Athenry is the train!!

Not any more. I noticed last night that Farrells have just started running a Nightlink bus to Athenry (Thurs-Sat). And they have a two-hourly service during the day, and frequent-passenger discounts. More details here.

Re drop-off points: to get licenced to run a bus-service, companies have to get the gardai to approve the route and bus-stops. It's actually illegal for the bus-driver to drop you off anywhere except the approved bus-stops. So, though you can ask, if they say "no", it's not just the driver being an a*****.

Of course this begs the question of why employers/institutions are allowed to have big facilities like this which aren't serviced by public transport. Surely they should have designed 'em so that people could get there by without needing a car. (Similar grrrrr at the Fintrax thread too ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the train stops off in athenry

www.cie.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

If you are really desperate you could try cycling it...................I know a guy who cycles from the city to Athenry (during the summer) and he is not a crazy fitness freak.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the train stops off in athenry

www.cie.ie

The OP's problem isn't getting to Athenry, others have already pointed the public trains & buses. It's getting to Teagasc a mile out.

Seriously man, i'd just walk from Athenry after getting one of the fore mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    If you are really desperate you could try cycling it...................I know a guy who cycles from the city to Athenry (during the summer) and he is not a crazy fitness freak.

it is doable, wold ake about an hour, bring change of clothes

Thanks again for all the replies, I do have a bike so perhaps thats another option! I'll just try and figure something out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DvFrn

theres no issue bringing your bike on the train, theres a specific carriage for them. a monthly student commuter train ticket is €86.

Advertisement