Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool storage and keeping rust at bay

Options
  • 28-01-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some feedback and general experience with regard to keeping tools in storage free from the dreaded rust. All my handtools are stored in a (mostly) unheated space, in steel and timber cabinets. I've tried using that camelia oil but i don't have much faith in it; I reckon it's ok for use on tools that are regulalry used (so it's regularly topped up as such). i've added light mineral oil to the camelia to see if it performed any better but i find that if some tools which are rarely used will still show some signs of light surface rust if I rely on camelia alone. I have some tools that may be going into long term storage and may not be looked at for months or years, what's the best way to protect these? I'm thinking of just smothering them in a light mineral oil. What oil would you suggest, SAE 30 is too heavy, what would be a lighter grade that i could ask for in a motor factors? I've tried dessicants and camphor balls but there effectiveness is uncertain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Did you try a coat of WD40 sprayed onto them? I have used this very successfully in the past on my chopsaw blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I have some tools that may be going into long term storage and may not be looked at for months or years, what's the best way to protect these?

I have an excellent idea, and I know this will work!! :D Get a good heavy cardboard box, and lots of paper, wrap all the items up individually and place carefully in the box (with plenty of packing between!). Then, seal up the box, good and tight. This is where the magic comes in, right, you get my address, which I'll PM to you, you write this on a piece of paper, attach it to the box and then bring the box to your local post office!

I'll look after them! ;):D

Disclaimer: I'll only accept Lie Nielson planes or planes of similar value, whole or in part. Veritas products in any condition. Festool powertools of any description and any assorted high quality handtools which are no longer required.

:p

Ah no, well, if they are going into storge why dont you stick 'em in a box and put them up in the attic/loft, surely they wont go rusty up there and wont be taking up space in the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

:D very good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks guys! I won't be getting rid of any of those tools soon, but if I am you can check 'em out on Adverts ! I have found that an unheated attic space is the worst place to store anything metallic as condensation tends to form, especially in colder weather, unless you have a fantastic vapour check below the quilt insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chippytom

I used to have awful problems with rust in my workshop, finally found one thing that works perfectly. A friend of mine was big into his bikes and he hade a spray lube that dries onto the steel and doesnt leave a sticky residue. Its called Du Pont teflon spray, he got it in the states so not sure if you can pick it up over here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Cheers chippytom, I'll check that stuff out.

Advertisement