Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maglite Torches

Options
  • 28-01-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a maglite which currently takes 3 Type D batteries, and it has a standard bulb giving off a yellowish glow.
    I have seen Maglites lately, which have halogen bulbs, giving off a silvery light.
    Does anyone know if you switch the type of bulb, or it a different circuit inside the torch??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Hmm, the gadgets forum may get you an answer OP. However, you may also get an answer here.

If you don't get an response here in the next couple of days I'll move this thread over there for you if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

burly wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a maglite which currently takes 3 Type D batteries, and it has a standard bulb giving off a yellowish glow.
    I have seen Maglites lately, which have halogen bulbs, giving off a silvery light.
    Does anyone know if you switch the type of bulb, or it a different circuit inside the torch??

You've two options, there's an LED upgrade or a Xenon lamp. Both are brighter than the standard bulbs. The LED kit's more expensive, but should give better battery life. Both are brighter. For both, you just swap them with your current bulb, although the LED upgrade comes with a new reflector.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Donny5 wrote: »
    You've two options, there's an LED upgrade or a Xenon lamp. Both are brighter than the standard bulbs. The LED kit's more expensive, but should give better battery life. Both are brighter. For both, you just swap them with your current bulb, although the LED upgrade comes with a new reflector.

Is there the product you are talking about?? Do you know if its a simple procedure?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maglite-Led-Upgrade-Module-Retro/dp/B000GL5C2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1264696169&sr=8-1

Cant seem to find a xenon upgrade?

Thanks for the reply.

bedlam wrote: »
    As Donny5 mentioned, a LED upgrade is probably the better option..........................Have a poke around on 4Seven's site and you'll get an idea of the vast range of LED torches available. As a bonus there is free shipping worldwide.

Thanks Bedlam, Great information there. Will have a proper look at those options later.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

also check out www.dealextreme.com
    great range of lights at good prices,
    free p&p too, however shipping takes over a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Is there the product you are talking about??

Almost, this is the one for 3 Cells.
    Do you know if its a simple procedure?

It's a 30 second job. I've done it to an AA and a AAA Maglite. As easy as replacing the normal bulb when it's burnt out. The LED upgrade should stop that happening, too. LEDs last forever.
    It's also worth considering ditching the Maglite (keep it as a backup) for a much smaller LED based AA or AAA torch.

You can't use a AA torch as a baton!
    novarapid wrote: »
    also check out www.dealextreme.com
    great range of lights at good prices,
    free p&p too, however shipping takes over a month.

Deal Extreme are great, but read the reviews on the torches. They don't do QC or anything like that, so it can be hit and miss. Some of their LED torches have badly soldered diodes and they flicker.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I know what im at now.

Defintely want to hold on to the maglie if I can, as Donny says, it doubles as a defensive weapon if I ever needed it on a night climb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Donny5 wrote: »
    You can't use a AA torch as a baton!

:D

True, can't beat the old maglight
    A friend of mine once saw someone drive over one in a Landrover, cracked it but it still worked. Sent it back and got a replacement too under the warranty

Why would you want the added weight of a 3D when hiking? If you really feel the need for protection while out and about get a torch with a (aggressive) crenelated bezel.

One like this one here maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Fascinating stuff .. this thread has unearthed a whole new sub-culture of "torch nerds" I never even knew existed :D

• Advertisement

I can't think of any animal, you'd really need to defend your self against using a 3D as a baton on night walks in Ireland :)

I dont know about that, ive heard some strange noises on the mountains of south Tipperary!!!!!! Apart from the animals, you never know when your goona meet a psycho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I bought one of >these<, primarily for pest control at night, some of which is on hills and bogs. On "Turbo" setting it's supposed to last for two hours at 220 Lumens, on normal setting for fourteen hours. I can't attest to those numbers but what I've done is bought some rechargeable batteries for it, so I reckon with a few changes of batteries (they're the small CR123A types) I'm good to go. It's small and light which is a big benefit compared to the bigger maglites discussed above.

Hi all,

Just thought id give an update. I got the LED upgrade kit for the maglite, and it all worked out perfctly. It cam e with a 3 watt LED. I was wondering could I put a stonger LED bulb in, can you get 4 0r 5 watts??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeh i have to agree candlepowerforums are pretty good for info on lights and suc, and some great ideas with what you can do with your old maglite there as well.

By the way, Bedlam did you have any issues with customs when you ordered from 4sevens? I am thinking of ordering Quark mini or something similar, and one of the Maelstroms (if they ever get released for sale!!). I just wonder will i get stung by customs as well on the way in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Got my Quark 123 light from 4 sevens today. I ordered it friday night from the polish site, pretty pleased with the quick delivery.
    It has the new Cree XP-G led in it and damn, its bright. Medium mode alone, puts my last decent led light (Steamlight 4aa) to shame
    Also very happy with the feel and construction of the light. It is a really well made piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    Where can I get replacement LED bulbs for 2-cell (D) maglites in Ireland? Either a maglite original or a suitable drop-in will do.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mr. Bean.

You can expect to at least double or triple the light output with a better drop in or new torch.

I'd still suggest that, unless you really need the form factor of the Maglite, you go with a different brand, it's where you'll more than likely end up in the long run.

I disagree, The iconic maglite is one of the most fantastically impressive and legendary torches ever produced! It is nearly invincible! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytnu0fE2Ca8

Yes indeed its becomeing a little outdated but there's always upgrades as mentioned earlier. Why is it may I ask, is so "likely" that you will end up with a different branded torch? You mentioned a better drop in or different brand could triple the output.:rolleyes: This is incorrect as it is quite possible to achieve 600 or 700 lumens from even a 2 D maglite.

The bottom line of this matter is:

If you want a robust, reliable, iconic, bright and heavy duty torch, Get a maglite with a decent drop in. Yes of course it will be quite expensive but them things last forever.:D It is a clever simple mix of mechanics and electronics.

You probably by this stage think I'm a bit "strong worded" so to speak but to be honest I don't really care.:p

Fair play to the other fella for upgrading his mag! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I have a few nice torches. First decent torch I bought (apart from a few Maglites including a double C cell that is a dozen years old and still going strong) was a Surefire 6P. Lovely torch, well made and loads bright (65 lumens). However the high output halogen uses 2 CR123a batteries in about 1.25 hours and it only has one setting (well two if you include "off":p). I also found it slightly bulky when not wearing a jacket.
    Next up I bought the Nitecore EZ123. It takes a single CR123a battery. It has two settings, 20 lumens on low and 180 lumens on high. For a torch the size of a tube of lipstick, it's pretty incredible. The single battery will last over a dozen hours on low (which is generally bright enough for most applications) and over an hour on high. About 40euro.
    I then bought an ITP (chinese company) A6 Polestar. It takes 6 AA batteries and has four settings. Low is 12 lumens, medium 150 lumens and high is 700 lumens (though I suspect 600 out the front may be more realistic). It's has a broad, floody beam but still throws quite far. It also has a strobe setting. I bought it for about 70 odd euro and got a free AAA torch in stainless steel with 3 settings. Can't remember what they are but the highest is 90 lumens. Very tiny and looks cool in stainless steel.
    To put all this in perspective, a two D cell Maglite with a standard bulb has an output of 36.5 lumens. Although they throw light well, the output can't match LEDs which have now been developed so that the old problem of LEDs not being able to throw light regardless of brightness has been fixed. These days, LEDs are the perfect option for most everyday purposes.

http://www.heinnie.com/Flashlights/c-1-97/

See here for some of the above. Best service I've ever had from a website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Hi does anyone know of any shops in Dublin that sell the full range of maglite torches ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

Halfords have them .Bit dated now thou .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Led Lenser are a good make too. Available in a lot of outdoor shops or in Peterson's in Dublin at the bottom of Grafton Street.

http://www.peterson.ie/c/29/ledlenser

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Amongst theatre and music biz backstage techs and roadies, Maglites used to be the the only torch that people carried. They were the industry standard.
    Nowadays its almost always LED Lensers, you rarely see a mag.

Backstage, reliability, small size and powerful beam are the main reqs.
    For what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

I carry a Led Lenser.The p7 model is excellent.

Advertisement