Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting standing

Options
  • 28-01-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

just wondering how confident people here are at taking shots off the shoulder standing with a rifle and how far away from the target would you safely take a shot from or whats your best shot, i reckon i used to be a lot better when i was younger and that my bipod has somewhat ruined my shot since i got it a few years ago, this all came about as i was down on our farm earlier and was taking a few shots to check my sights and for a bit of practice, although i had some lovely shots prone from 100, 150 and 200 yards i'd only back my self to kill a fox within about 60-70 yards tops shooting from my shoulder standing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Did you use a sling?

It gives much better stability than trying to shoot freehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

With a sling I'd be fairly confident of shots out to about a hundred or so, maybe a bit more depending on circumstances. It's all about practice. Dry-firing is as worthwhile as live-firing in a lot of cases, moreso in some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Depends on the quarry, is it moving, is it not and the calibre

Lets say it's a .243 and a stationary fallow deer. Being honest, personally, I probably wouldn't fire standing at a deer as there is way too much margin for error.

So I guess my judgement would be based on quarry to calibre ratio. If the chance of a clean kill is high, even with a non perfect hit, I may take the shot. Think .223 at a rabbit 100 yards away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

thats without using a sling with my hornet that i use for foxes, i reckon i'd be much the same with my .22 for rabbits or crows 6-70 yards, what way do ye use a sling to steady the rifle have ye any pics or links to show how to do it, or has anybody else have any good tips on how to improve?
    it'll be much appreciated
    ormondprop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ormondprop wrote: »
    thats without using a sling with my hornet that i use for foxes, i reckon i'd be much the same with my .22 for rabbits or crows 6-70 yards, what way do ye use a sling to steady the rifle have ye any pics or links to show how to do it, or has anybody else have any good tips on how to improve?
    ormondprop

Hmm, think rrpc had a picture of it before, but I'll try an explanation anyway. With the rifle in the shoulder, the sling is hanging down. Bring your elbow of your forward hand inside the sling. Now roll your forearm around to the inside as well and keep going until the sling is around your forearm and across the back of your wrist where you hold the stock. You'll need to adjust the sling length until you find the right length to allow you to do this quickly and easily. For me, a single length does adequately for standing, kneeling and sitting. It's very solid and stable.

• Advertisement

ormondprop

Here.
    :)

thanks rrpc, time to get the gun out again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

With a sling I'd be fairly confident of shots out to about a hundred or so, maybe a bit more depending on circumstances. It's all about practice. Dry-firing is as worthwhile as live-firing in a lot of cases, moreso in some.

Good advice from IWM. There is an inclination to start to relax if you anticipate the shot resulting in a low left hit (for a right hander). Dry fire practice will show this up. When I was being taught to shoot the advice was to hold the aim after the shot till the foresight stopped moving. That said, the first time I fired a GPMG was very exciting for all involved:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hmm, think rrpc had a picture of it before, but I'll try an explanation anyway. With the rifle in the shoulder, the sling is hanging down. Bring your elbow of your forward hand inside the sling. Now roll your forearm around to the inside as well and keep going until the sling is around your forearm and across the back of your wrist where you hold the stock. You'll need to adjust the sling length until you find the right length to allow you to do this quickly and easily. For me, a single length does adequately for standing, kneeling and sitting. It's very solid and stable.
    rrpc wrote: »
    It's known as a 'Hasty Sling':

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there is a knack in taking standing shots .

generally they are shots that are not thought out and happen fast , so being able to do it on a range is no guarantee.

at best the should be avoided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

just wondering how confident people here are at taking shots off the shoulder standing with a rifle and how far away from the target would you safely take a shot from or whats your best shot, i reckon i used to be a lot better when i was younger and that my bipod has somewhat ruined my shot since i got it a few years ago, this all came about as i was down on our farm earlier and was taking a few shots to check my sights and for a bit of practice, although i had some lovely shots prone from 100, 150 and 200 yards i'd only back my self to kill a fox within about 60-70 yards tops shooting from my shoulder standing

Get some shooting sticks

Rovi wrote: »
    It's known as a 'Hasty Sling':

In the US of A maybe, here it's called a two point sling. ;)

It's very useful though and will steady you significantly in any position: prone kneeling or standing.

Just to clarify: the term 'Hasty Sling' refers to the technique used with a conventional 2-point sling, not to an item of hardware in and of itself.

Rovi wrote: »
    Just to clarify: the term 'Hasty Sling' refers to the technique used with a conventional 2-point sling, not to an item of hardware in and of itself.

But that term was never used here. It was always referred to as using a two point sling in the same way you use a single point sling, i.e. to support the rifle.

The context defined the use as it were.

I've heard the term used this side of the pond lots of times over the years, but perhaps that's just another example of the 'Americanisation' of our language. It's always been in reference to this particular technique of wrapping a 2-point sling around the support arm though.

i practised dry firing with my sling and didn't make much differance as my sling is too long even when i have it tightened to the last, its a bit old and stretched and similar to this
    http://www.ronniesunshines.com/images/woven%20sling.jpg
    so looks like i'll have too fork out for a new one, any recommendations?

i practised dry firing with my sling and didn't make much differance as my sling is too long even when i have it tightened to the last, its a bit old and stretched and similar to this
    http://www.ronniesunshines.com/images/woven%20sling.jpg
    so looks like i'll have too fork out for a new one, any recommendations?
    I haven't used a two point sling in years, so I can't help there. Stay away from any stretchy material (the man made materials are best) and make sure it has plenty of adjustment.

Most of them nowadays have those quick tightening/release buckles on them, which makes adjustment much easier.

Try your local gun shop first.

Advertisement