Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Accord steering light in corners

• 28-01-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

I've a 05 Honda Accord 2.2 TDCI, and lately I've noticed that the steering sometimes gets "light" (the only way I can describe it) in corners.

Normally when cornering, you apply pressure to the steering wheel and you get a certain amount of resistance, which increases the further you turn the wheel.

What I've noticed though is that the resistance will drop out suddenly (like as if the front wheels are beginning to lose traction), and I have to lift off because it gives me a bit of a fright. I don't see any dashboard warning light come on.

I'm not tearing into the corners or driving on the "ragged edge" by any means. If anything, I'm even taking them more slowly than most drivers in Focuses, Astras, etc. For the last while, I put it down to icy patches on the roads, but it's been the same all this week. Tyre pressures have been checked, and my tyres have slightly varying tread depths, but nothing under 2 mm anywhere.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

If they are around 2mm it could still be the tyres.

Once they go near about 3mm the performance drops way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Does it happen more when it's cold outside, or more when you've just set off?

I've a Petrol Accord and in the cold weather my tyres are sh1t. Add a fair bit of torque and no traction control and it doesn't take much to lose grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i would be with barry on this one ,for the price of a couple of tyres that you are going to be legally obliged to change soon any way its better to invest now beforean accident happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Does that model have electric power steering? EPS can do that sometimes as it over-assists. Other times it will under-assist making the steering heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would say.....

1/ Tyres
    2/ Check for suspension wear. If any wear, replace bushes etc & get wheel alignment
    If no wear, get alignment carried out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

R.O.R wrote: »
    Does it happen more when it's cold outside, or more when you've just set off?

Certainly happens more when it's cold outside, it would seem.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I've a Petrol Accord and in the cold weather my tyres are sh1t. Add a fair bit of torque and no traction control and it doesn't take much to lose grip.

I never turn the VSA off though. JHMEG's suggestion about EPS actually sounds quite like what's happening. Sometimes the steering is nice and heavy, but sometimes it just gets really light - but without the car actually unbalancing or starting to skid. It's just that the steering feedback gives you a little shock moment. I'd love to try it out somewhere I couldn't do any damage, but it's hard to reproduce.

As regards suspension, that was all checked (well I was told it was) prior to its NCT, and I was told all was well. She has 60,000 miles on the clock.

Anyway, I won't take any chances. I do reckon it's time for new tyres, at least in the front. Those at the back seem to have the same tread depth they had when I got them! I heard somewhere that the Accord eats its way through front tyres anyway, and I've got through 20,000 miles on them, which ain't bad.

Thanks all for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

fricatus wrote: »
    JHMEG's suggestion about EPS actually sounds quite like what's happening.
    FWIW I have a Honda with EPS. Most of the time it's balanced, but it can get very light momentarily, and it can also feel like there is no assistance at times, but again only momentarily. This is normal with EPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fricatus wrote: »
    I do reckon it's time for new tyres, at least in the front.
    Put the new tyres on the rear, and the old rears on the front. That's the advice, anyway. But maybe you really need 4 new tyres?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement