Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 inch monitors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

There is also the NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi and I would think HP have a 30" monitor...

Off those 3/4, I think the Dell (or Here) is the best and the one I would get.

You might find TFTCentral and PRAD helpful resources.
    I've never bought anything off ebay before. Do you reckon it would be safe enough to purchase something that costs this much off ebay, is there a chance I could get scammed?

I bought a new Dell WFP2704 (Rev A04) off ebay a couple of years ago, cost £400 and everythning was fine. The Seller of the two you have linked to has 100% feedback which what you really need when spending big money, but I personally would be inclined to buy new and not refurbished.

If you already have an Nvidia GT285, that will allow you to connect 2 monitors, any more than 2 and you would need another graphic card or adapter...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My card has 3 outputs on it. To run all those monitors you'll need something beefy though, all depends what your doing with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

€2416 for a 30" monitor from Dell :eek: Madness!
    You would be better of with a 30" TV at that price

Anyway running 3 monitors off one graphics card shouldnt be a problem. Just plug the main 30" monitor into 1 of the DVI ports and run the other 2 monitors off the other DVI port using a splitter like this.

You will definitely need a good graphics card, especially if you plan on gaming. The new ATI cards have eyefinity which would probably suit you perfectly with that setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anyway running 3 monitors off one graphics card shouldnt be a problem. Just plug the main 30" monitor into 1 of the DVI ports and run the other 2 monitors off the other DVI port using a splitter like this.

Have you ever actually done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Have you ever actually done this?

Nope. In fact after doing some research on it turns out it may not be possible because the two monitors running off the splitter will have the same image? Also I'm not sure if eyefinity supports different resolutions across the various monitors. Ultramon will do it though.

• Advertisement

Nope. In fact after doing some research on it turns out it may not be possible because the two monitors running off the splitter will have the same image? Also I'm not sure if eyefinity supports different resolutions across the various monitors. Ultramon will do it though.

Pretty much, unless it's a nvidia NVS card. They have special connectors that allow them to output to two monitors over one port.

Ohh in all this forgot to mention, don't rule out the Apple 30inch. Its meant to be the best of the bunch.

Also, bit of a side point. Op have you ever seen one of these things in Action. We have four in work and tbh I would not want one as my monitor. Unless I was doing some huge HD res image editing or 3d work I really can't see the point. They are so big they become difficult to use.

You can use the HDMI port that every card has for the 3rd screen. Any hald decent monitor should have a HDMI port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

eyefinity will support 3 monitor's with various resoloution, however, all monitor's need to be setup to use the same resolution as each other.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The crazy thing is that's just the Irish site; it costs less than half that in the UK! :eek: Feckin' Dell! :mad:

As for graphics card... a 2560*1600 and a couple of 1080p monitors to boot?! :eek: If you really intend to game on all three monitors simultaneously you'd need a better GPU, and for EyeFinity you'd need to make sure the two 20" screens were both 1080p and get a HD5850 or better and even then you'd have to dump the 30" and get a 32" 1080p HDTV instead to match resolutions. Otherwise the 30" monitor would be off-res and look like poo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

Solitaire wrote: »
    The crazy thing is that's just the Irish site; it costs less than half that in the UK! :eek: Feckin' Dell! :mad:

As for graphics card... a 2560*1600 and a couple of 1080p monitors to boot?! :eek: If you really intend to game on all three monitors simultaneously you'd need a better GPU, and for EyeFinity you'd need to make sure the two 20" screens were both 1080p and get a HD5850 or better and even then you'd have to dump the 30" and get a 32" 1080p HDTV instead to match resolutions. Otherwise the 30" monitor would be off-res and look like poo :(

I'm not looking for a multi-monitor gaming setup, I'm going to be using it for multitabling poker games. From the website of my gfx card's manufacturer it says

"Two dual-link DVI outputs support two 2560x1600 resolution displays"

I thought I would need to use both DVI outputs to drive a 30 inch monitor, but this seems to be saying each output alone can drive a monitor, is this correct? So without adding another gfx card I could run a 30 inch monitor and a 20 inch one simultaneously with my gtx 285?

I'm not looking for a multi-monitor gaming setup, I'm going to be using it for multitabling poker games. From the website of my gfx card's manufacturer it says

"Two dual-link DVI outputs support two 2560x1600 resolution displays"

I thought I would need to use both DVI outputs to drive a 30 inch monitor, but this seems to be saying each output alone can drive a monitor, is this correct? So without adding another gfx card I could run a 30 inch monitor and a 20 inch one simultaneously with my gtx 285?
    Yes and possibly another screen through the HDMI port.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I just saw the GTX285 and assumed you were gaming as well. Why else would anyone have a GTX285?! :o

And a GTX285 should easily run two 2560*1600 screens so long as both card and screens have Dual-Link DVI connections at each end. As for a third screen... depends on whether the HDMI port on the GTX285 is independent or "shared" with one of the DL-DVI ports...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

You would be better of with a 30" TV at that price

Better off with a TV me arse.
    Solitaire wrote: »

I have the DELL 30" for about 2 years now and if it broke today I'd buy a new one tomorrow. It's frickin awesome and I'd never downgrade.

The trick with Mick DELL (whom I hate now since the Irish Bstard pulled out of Ireland last year) is to know your prices and haggle haggle haggle with the Indian salesman. Argue that the price of it in England or America is €x and insist that you want the same price or you won't buy. It's amazing how well you'll do. In my case I think I faked it enough to be up €50 on the US price.

The only thing better than a 30" Dell atm is 2 of them.

Advertisement