Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista won't start

• 28-01-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm trying to help my parents out with their computer. It's a packard bell PC and it's running Vista. Every time it's started up, it displays an error message "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause" along with instructions to fix it by using the Vista installation disk. We couldn't find a disk that came with it, except for a Packard Bell disk which PC World said doesn't have the operating system on it and that a recovery disk should have been created when first setting up the computer. Does anyone know of an alternate solution to this problem? Or is it possible to use a Vista disk from a different computer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 OFlaherty

If you can get hold of a proper vista disk, it will do the trick. Just insert it (make sure your bios is set to boot from cd/dvd) and when it starts up run the recovery console. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hit F8 on boot for more options.

Try "Last Good Known Configuration"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Alliandre wrote: »
    I'm trying to help my parents out with their computer. It's a packard bell PC and it's running Vista. Every time it's started up, it displays an error message "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause" along with instructions to fix it by using the Vista installation disk. We couldn't find a disk that came with it, except for a Packard Bell disk which PC World said doesn't have the operating system on it and that a recovery disk should have been created when first setting up the computer. Does anyone know of an alternate solution to this problem? Or is it possible to use a Vista disk from a different computer?

Did PC world check for a recovery partition? I think that is the recovery option that comes with alot of packard bell PCs depending on the model. If you have one it should be accessible by pressing F11 on boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Do you have to reinstall vista?

i used to have vista but a major virus caused me to reformat. I downgraded to windows xp pro and computer is much faster-plus with vista some of the drivers for my peripherals eg printer, mp3 player did not work properly. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

ild get hold of an XP or & disc and just do a clean install u can use programs to take info off the harddrive such as files and such but the name of it has slipped my mind..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Alliandre wrote: »

vista and packar bell is a disaster waiting to happen

get an external hdd and take out your own one and back up your data on an ext computer.

then install xp

solved

Advertisement